Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Insignia on uniform

garywoolhouse

• Admin

I would suggest that his Medal Roll tells us he was a Special Reservist with the Y&L - indicated by the 3/ prefix to his number (4813).

He first served overseas with the 2nd Battalion Y&L and finally with the 2/4th Battalion Y&L (not the other way round).

His posting to the 2/4th Bn from the 2/Bn might have occurred after a spell away from the 2/4th because e.g. of a wounding or sickness.

Regards

Russ

11 minutes ago, RussT said:

I would suggest that his Medal Roll tells us he was a Special Reservist with the Y&L - indicated by the 3/ prefix to his number (4813).

He first served overseas with the 2nd Battalion Y&L and finally with the 2/4th Battalion Y&L (not the other way round).

His posting to the 2/4th Bn from the 2/Bn might have occurred after a spell away from the 2/4th because e.g. of a wounding or sickness.

Regards

Russ

Thanks for clarifying the sequence Russ.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Just a correction to my post.

He wasn't actually a SR - he volunteered to enlist in the Y&L on 23/03/1915 (3rd Bn).

It seems the Y&L was one of those Regiments that was keen to prefix their men with a Battalion number - at least that Bn the man first joined, hence the 3/ prefix in his particular case.

Posted BEF to the 2/Bn on 23/03/1916

Wounded (shellshock) Dec 1917

Back to Depot and then 3/Bn upon "recovery" 02/01/1918

Posted BEF 2/4th Bn 30/01/1918

He was wounded (GSW right thigh) again 27/08/1918.

Russ

7 minutes ago, RussT said:

Just a correction to my post.

He wasn't actually a SR - he volunteered to enlist in the Y&L on 23/03/1915 (3rd Bn).

It seems the Y&L was one of those Regiments that was keen to prefix their men with a Battalion number - at least that Bn the man first joined, hence the 3/ prefix in his particular case.

Posted BEF to the 2/Bn on 23/03/1916

Wounded (shellshock) Dec 1917

Back to Depot and then 3/Bn upon "recovery" 02/01/1918

Posted BEF 2/4th Bn 30/01/1918

He was wounded (GSW right thigh) again 27/08/1918.

Russ

Joining on Regular Army terms and conditions then.  His enlistment with and subsequent return to 3rd Battalion during periods of ineffectiveness typical of that type of engagement.

So the last picture shows two wound stripes and one of the machines gun corps qualification badges on his arm..  Machine gun teams were initially formed organically out of each infantry battalion.  In time they were separated and became part of the Machine Gun Corps.  Did your relative join the MGC?   With his full name and service number we can likely understand more?

Andy

• Admin

I have merged this and the 8th KOYLI thread as there was duplicate information on both. 

9 hours ago, AndrewSid said:

So the last picture shows two wound stripes and one of the machines gun corps qualification badges on his arm..  Machine gun teams were initially formed organically out of each infantry battalion.  In time they were separated and became part of the Machine Gun Corps.  Did your relative join the MGC?   With his full name and service number we can likely understand more?

Andy

They weren’t specifically Machine Gun Corps (MGC) insignia Andrew, but fell into the category of skill-at-arms badges, of which there were several.  Initially there was just the MG badge for machine guns in general, but later it was joined by LG and HG for the Lewis and Hotchkiss guns.  As you say, in the early part of the war there was a machine gun section in each infantry battalion, commanded by a subaltern supported by a sergeant, and the men within the section commonly wore a badge once they were qualified by instruction.  These guns subsequently transferred to the MGC, often, but not in every case, along with their men.

The photo shows @garywoolhouse grandfather wearing the uniform of 2/4th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment and, as we know from the data extracted by RussT above that this was after 30 Jan 18, then we can assume with quite strong confidence that the badge seen on the arm is a LG for the Lewis Gun trained men. 

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0443.jpeg

IMG_0444.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Ref the last photo. I`ve handled a LG but never fired one but the position of the butt looks dubious?  

He’s not firing it Phil, just looking at the ‘sight picture’ (aligning along the folded rear and foresight onto a distant object).  From a trench it’s usually done to check the ground clearance from a potential firing point, and thus a part of the usual siting (positioning) process.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, garywoolhouse said:

Great pictures

I thought you might like to get an impression of how your grandfather was likely to have looked with a Lewis Gun.

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 hours ago, garywoolhouse said:

received_1057529257667398.jpeg

My grandfather was in the 8th koyli would there war diaries be in there or different as he was in vickers team

These men are indeed KOYLI and Lewis gunners.  Presumably a different grandfather?  Your original two threads have been merged and so I’m unclear if you’re talking about the same man being in both, KOYLI and Y&L ?

Edited by FROGSMILE

No 

Grandad Duce was koyli 8bn

Grandad Woolhouse was york and lancashire 

Cheers 😊 

3 minutes ago, garywoolhouse said:

No 

Grandad Duce was koyli 8bn

Grandad Woolhouse was york and lancashire 

Cheers 😊 

Thanks, understood.  Then everything mentioned earlier stands.

If your grandfather Duce was definitely trained originally on the Vickers gun, then it suggests a time early in the war when the infantry battalions still had Vickers guns that were subsequently all transferred over to the Machine Gun Corps. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think grandad Duce stayed with the 8bn koyli or maybe not , it's a little confusing 😊

1 minute ago, garywoolhouse said:

I think grandad Duce stayed with the 8bn koyli or maybe not , it's a little confusing 😊

What does his medal roll entry say?

7 minutes ago, garywoolhouse said:

Walter DUCE, 8/13469, KOYLI - Discharged 20/7/18 GSW Shoulder - Pension claimed

As to a pension - from last unit = KOYLI

M

Edited by Matlock1418
bn prefix

3 minutes ago, garywoolhouse said:

Ye found his war records form B 2067/2079 in a pay type book

16989208148476775206653727650418.jpg

16989208546425649836991589505418.jpg

You should treasure that!  It’s a fantastic time capsule and so evocative of a WW1 soldier.