Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How would I go about contacting a source person on the Imperial War Museum Website?

Daniel Dixon

It is going to be commonplace that the declared age at attestation is greater than the actual age, and that 10 July 1881 as D.O.B. for Rogers will be consistent through War Office records, regardless of what is recorded elsewhere.

Gerald Rodgers  true date of birth will be 1882

He will have enlisted into the DLI under the alias George Rogers giving his date of birth as 1881 

His name will have then been his "Army name" and the date of birth as his "Army date of birth" 

it was quite common for younger soldiers on enlistment to add a few years to their age and older soldiers to deduct a few years off

I would not be to concerned about the date of birth discrepancy  as he has now been positively identified  

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
typo

My next task is trying to hopefully find a photograph of him, I know his grandchildren have one, but I am sure i'll be able to find one somewhere, he was allover, just most of the photos don't have names attached

Dan 

I thought I would do a Great war forum search for George Rogers to see if he had been mentioned previously on the forum

A Dave Ricketts, was making enquiries about George way back in 2011 unfortunately he was last on the forum in 2016

He appears to have some connection with the Rogers family it may be worthwhile sending him  a PM  he may or may not receive it depending whether he has notifications turned on or of and has the same email address he had in 2011 

Here is a link to the thread in question

Ray

2 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Dan 

I thought I would do a Great war forum search for George Rogers to see if he had been mentioned previously on the forum

A Dave Ricketts, was making enquiries about George way back in 2011 unfortunately he was last on the forum in 2016

He appears to have some connection with the Rogers family it may be worthwhile sending him  a PM  he may or may not receive it depending whether he has notifications turned on or of and has the same email address he had in 2011 

Here is a link to the thread in question

Ray

Thanks Ray, I've sent him a message, I wish I got into this kind of thing when I was younger, I'd have probably had more chance of making connections with people. I'll keep you updated if anything comes of it.

Hi Daniel

I notice that George Roger's daughter Patricia Geraldine died unmarried Dec 1998 in the Worthing area.  She left a will which for I think still £ 1.50 you can get a copy of & maybe it will give some family names to aid your search for his grandaughter. Her death cert may also have a family member as the informant but I know they cost more. 

George/Gerald's will may also be helpful.

Free to register here to purchase copy of wills.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/search-results

Travers

Edited by travers61

• 1 month later...

Hi Daniel,

I have just come across this thread & am delighted that it has answered so many of my own questions! I dip in & out of family history & haven't got very far but my grandfather & his brothers intrigue me. What is your connection to the family?

15 minutes ago, Lucy Dean said:

Hi Daniel,

I have just come across this thread & am delighted that it has answered so many of my own questions! I dip in & out of family history & haven't got very far but my grandfather & his brothers intrigue me. What is your connection to the family?

Hi Lucy! I'm so glad i've been able to make contact with you! I've been trying to find you for the last month. My great grandfather was called Edward Dixon, from Hartlepool and later Middlesbrough, he was your grandfathers cousin. On my family tree I had been researching this section of the tree and was fascinated with the Rogers family and their service during WW1, and their stories. I am quite a distant relative. 

I wanted to share with you what I had found out about your grandfathers brothers, where they are buried etc incase you don't already know, share my family tree and most importantly the photograph I found of your grandfathers brother John Rogers.

I am thrilled you managed to find this post.

Yes, I found your other post concerning a Dixon from West Hartlepool which is an area that crops up with the Rogers. I'm now wondering which branch the Dixons are on, is it James or Catherine's family? I'm guessing Catherine. Whereabouts are you? I wondered if you were descended from Gerald's sisters who went out to Oz? It doesn't sound like it now though. My grandfather was a keen photographer & I have inherited his photo albums, most of which feature military camps. There are a lot I have no clue about though. I don't know anything about the Dixons but look forward to hearing more.

1 hour ago, Lucy Dean said:

Yes, I found your other post concerning a Dixon from West Hartlepool which is an area that crops up with the Rogers. I'm now wondering which branch the Dixons are on, is it James or Catherine's family? I'm guessing Catherine. Whereabouts are you? I wondered if you were descended from Gerald's sisters who went out to Oz? It doesn't sound like it now though. My grandfather was a keen photographer & I have inherited his photo albums, most of which feature military camps. There are a lot I have no clue about though. I don't know anything about the Dixons but look forward to hearing more.

Yes Catherine is my side, I am descended from her sister Rose Ann. Unfortunately not regarding Geralds sisters, I assume you mean Catherine and Margaret? I am 28 years old and still live in Middlesbrough, I started my ancestry journey 2 years ago. It's so nice you have photographs, our side didn't inherit any unfortunately but I did manage to find a photograph of my great grandfather from the merchant navy. 

My email address is (removed by moderator) and I am also on facebook, or you can message me here, if there's anything in particular you'd like to know i'll see if I have information on it. 

• Admin

Never a good idea to put your email address on the public forum. Lucy can contact you via private messages on here.

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Never a good idea to put your email address on the public forum. Lucy can contact you via private messages on here.

You are right, it's an email address I use solely for family history, but yes I understand 😊