Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed

Penfoldisking

Lets recap 

Cadet, Sydney Savile Mercier commissiond 2nd Lt 16th August 1917 aged about 30

relinquished his commission 23rd Jan 1919 due to ill health.

applied for Silver war badge 25th July 1919

died 24th Jan 1920

There is no officers file for Sydney at Kew   (I have searched all officers with surnames starting with Mer*)

There is no MIC or medal roll entry in respect of Sydney which indicates he may never have served in a theater of war 

Its possible that the entry on his headstone that he served in France Egypt and Gallipoli may be a bit of "Guilding of the Lily"

Penfoldisking would it be possible to post a photo of the headstone

Ray

Cough, Cough - "Herts Yeomanry with whom he served in Egypt and Gallipoli" - I think we have a link to the discharged Sergeant 934 Sydney P Mercier.

Discharged could even mean when he was discharged from his enlistment in order to take a commission.

Cheers,
Peter

42 minutes ago, PRC said:

Sergeant 934 Sydney P Mercier.

Medel roll   no indication discharged to commission

329965175_merciermedalroll.jpg.c8006c71f11bc3b51e51357dd093039d.jpg

What is the word before Herts Yeomanry on the memorial ?

Penfoldisking is there any other inscriptions on the other three faces of the grave marker ?

Ray

• Admin
9 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Penfoldisking is there any other inscriptions on the other three faces of the grave marker ?

Ray

Looks like Formerly to me. 

10 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Formerly?

Edit: And Michelle thinks so too!

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

Does the headstone not show age 37   not 33 ?

Can't be sure but I think thats just the way the bottom half of the 3 has worn away - look at Whom in the top line ("Whon") and the A in Jan. in the date of death. I suspect the "m" in Formerly has also suffered.

We have no other candidate for the death of a Sydney \ Sidney Mercier who died in 1920 +/- 2 years. The age of the Sidney who did die in 1920 - 33 in January 1920 , 26 in October 1912 when he married and a Q3 birth registration probably closely align.

@Penfoldisking - looks like you've been editing some of your posts to include some of the information that has either teased out out by contributors or I can only assume was known to you and you chose not to share earlier. This forum is a very collaborative place and is totally dependant on the goodwill of those who give freely of their time and knowledge. Can I simply request you give us a full statement of what you know about this man so we stop wasting time validating what is already known.

Thanks,
Peter

A second photo showing words lower down a bit clearer. The age is 33, they lower part of the last 3 is worn. It clearly states Formerly Herts Yeomanry

20221019_123037.jpg

The medal role "RaySearching" has added a photo of clarifies that it is not my man. A couple of reasons:

1. Looks like a regular soldier by his Regimental number being so low and a Sgt. So was probably already serving at the start of the war.

2. Clearly Sydney with a Y not and and second initial P not S

3. The date on the medal role is Oct 1920 and its for a Victory medal as a Sgt. If it was my man at the end of the war he would get a Victory medal as a 2nd Lt

4. My man had relinquished his commission due to ill health 1 year earlier as a 2nd Lt

5. My man had already died

Agreed Sgt 934 is not our man

I think the fact that his late wife is interred beside Lt Sydney S Mercier

confirms that we have the correct man

the anomally is he has no record of any medal entitlement, that I can find

Ray

His Silver war badge roll  entry provides no additional usefull information

swb.JPG.796fa8446a8f7625df77d3f1d9454d7b.JPG

11 hours ago, RaySearching said:

? ? ?

Ray

On 21/01/2023 at 10:15, Penfoldisking said:

I have found a Sidney Saville Mercier who served as a 2nd Lt South Notts Hussars and died on the same day in Paignton in Devon. My grave is in Lockerely Hants?

A notice in Western Morning News 27 January 1920 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000329%2f19200127%2f003&stringtohighlight=sydney saville mercier

has those details. Leaving Paignton on Wednesday for interment in Lockerley on Thursday

George

3 hours ago, Penfoldisking said:

The medal role "RaySearching" has added a photo of clarifies that it is not my man. A couple of reasons:

1. Looks like a regular soldier by his Regimental number being so low and a Sgt. So was probably already serving at the start of the war.

2. Clearly Sydney with a Y not and and second initial P not S

3. The date on the medal role is Oct 1920 and its for a Victory medal as a Sgt. If it was my man at the end of the war he would get a Victory medal as a 2nd Lt

4. My man had relinquished his commission due to ill health 1 year earlier as a 2nd Lt

5. My man had already died

1. Hertfordshire Yeomanry were Territorials, not Regulars. Pre-war Territorials were often treated as social clubs by aspiring working class \ lower middle class - like a Draper. Yeomanry in particular had a greater social cachet than TF Infantry and smacked of upward mobility. One of the Herts Yeomanry Squadrons were based in Watford  - as was Sidney Sackville Edit 23/01/23 13.02 Saville Mercier according to his 1912 Marriage Cerificate. To have served in the Territorials "Sydney P. Mercier" would have had to have a residence in the county, but no obvious candidate on the 1911 Census.
Unfortunately Sidney Sackville Edit 23/01/23 13.02 Saville Mercier and his wife don't appear to have had children - at least not as far as the birth records for England & Wales are concerned, so we can't identify where the couple were living from that route.
Once he reached 24, if he was the head of the household then may well have qualified for the vote, although where you would track down the relevant electoral registers for the Watford area I don't know. And of course absence of his name doesn't mean he wasn't there - if he was living in someone elses household then, unless he owned property elsewhere, he wouldn't have had the vote.

2. Sidney and Sydney are used interchangeably just for Sidney Sackville Edit 23/01/23 13.03 Saville Mercier, let alone in general usage. Medals rolls and Silver War Badge Rolls are riddled with mistakes. As far as I can see the actual medal roll for 934 Acting Sergeant Sydney P Mercier doesn't tell us what his middle name actually is. Add into the mix that the headstone tells us that he was also known as "Freddy" and suddenly we have the possibility that the "P" was a mis-reading of a handwritten "S" or even an "F". Names and ages weren't verified when a man signed up, so no reason, for example, why he couldn't have signed up for the Hertfordshire Yeomaney as Sydney Frederick \ Fredrick \ Fred.

3, 4 & 5: The rank on the Victory Medal and British War Medal was the highest rank served at in a Theatre of War. While we don't know when and with whom he served in France - (and note, may be missing it, but not seeing that referred to on the headstone),- but the only unit of the South Nottinghamshire Hussars that ended up in France did so in the summer of 1918 where it was converted to a Machine Gun Corps Battalion. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-yeomanry-regiments-of-1914-1918/nottinghamshire-yeomanry-south-nottinghamshire-hussars/
So good possibility he never saw overseas service after being commissioned, and so this would not be reflected on his medals.
As an officer he, or his next of kin if he was deceased, would have had to apply for the medals. An other rank just had them sent automatically to their last known address. An October 1920 dispatch date is pretty bog standard. Assuming for a moment Sidney Sackville Edit 23/01/23 13.04 Saville and Sydney P. were one and the same, if the records office dealing with the Hertfordshire Yeomanry weren't aware that he had been commissioned, let alone that he had died, he would have just been one of thousands to be processed.

It may still turn out you are right, but I don't think based on the evidence produced so far that you can say with any degree of confidence that they are categorically not the same individual. Personal opinion - others may differ.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC

The grave is a bit strange in that the inscription face away from the grave. I only found it as a volunteer gardner had cleared bushes away from the top of the grave. There is nothing on any of the other faces of the stones.

He relinquished his commission in Jan 1919

The London Gazette entry dated 22 Jan 1919 is as follows

"South Notts. Hussars.—2nd Lt. S. S. Mercier relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health, 23rd Jan. 1919, and retains the rank of 2nd Lt."

Most other entries state "due to injuries sustained in the war".

As his doesn't then I'm assuming he was just ill also his wife died 2 months later. Around that time Paignton had a very bad Spanish Flu outbreak that killed a lot of people 

So that probably why he isn't on CWGC list

• Admin
1 hour ago, Penfoldisking said:

George, could you please cut and paste that entry as I cancelled my find my past subscription.

Many thanks

A reminder of the forum  rules 

Members may NOT use the GWF as a platform to ask parties who are subscribers to various subscription sites to download material on their behalf or to post it on the GWF.

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

A reminder of the forum  rules 

Members may NOT use the GWF as a platform to ask parties who are subscribers to various subscription sites to download material on their behalf or to post it on the GWF.

Sorry

@Penfoldisking

Assuming you live in Hampshire, according to the Hampshire County Library website they offer Ancestry, FindMyPast and the British Newspaper Archive on the computers in their Library branches. If you need to look at the newspapers it might be simplest to go for the British Newspaper Archive - certainly up in Norfolk the Library edition of FindMyPast they subscribe to no longer includes newspapers and periodicals. As far as I'm aware that facility on FindMyPast and Ancestry is just a back door into the British Newspaper Archive anyway.

Alternatively if you are a new member of the British Newspaper Archive website I believe you can still download the first three pages for free.

Cheers,
Peter

This is in Ancestry....Sandy Close [Soper] is associated through the transcript with Sydney Mercier. I can't find this family in the census though. May be a red herring though...

Name: Sandy Close[Sandy Soper]
Death Age: 54
Birth Date: abt 1866
Marriage Date: 21 Jan
Residence Place: St. Columb Miner
Death Date: 24 Jan 1920
Death Place: Lifbon
Burial Place: Lockerley .
Obituary Date: 27 Jan 1920
Obituary Place: Plymouth, Devon, England
Newspaper Title: The Western Morning News
Father: T. H. Soper
Parents: Elliot; Bfnjomin Rowe
Spouse: J. C. Brown
Child:

Alice

Ivy

Sydney Saville Mercier

Mary

Elisaljetb

George

It's been drawn to my attention that I have mistakenly used the middle name Sackville instead of Saville in several of my responses. Posts have now been edited and noted accordingly. Apologies and I truely hope that no-one wasted time as a result of my error.

Peter

Trying to prove that Sgt Sydney P Mercier is a different person but cannot find any trace of him apart from in military records.

My memorial clearly state that he formally served with Herts Yeomanry and Sidney S Mercier doesn't seem to?