Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War photograph album

Skipman

With cribs on the top of the tanks, the photo has to be summer / autumn 1918 but I can't help more at this stage.

5 hours ago, Skipman said:

Photograph 14

An advance

Mike

Forum Album An advance.jpg

This is a great image. Hopefully somebody more educated than me can decipher some of those tank markings

7 hours ago, Skipman said:

Photograph 14

An advance

Mike

Forum Album An advance.jpg

This is an especially interesting photo Mike.  Those are Americans on the left of the group (distinctive back packs) but the men on the right have SMLEs so I’m wondering if they might be Australians (there was a famous joint attack supported by tanks), and there’s also a fellow forward in the smoke wearing a slouch hat.

Afternote: I can see now they’re all Americans in the foreground, but equipped with SMLEs during their attachment to British/Australian formations.

6FCCB8F8-C16B-40FE-B22A-77E97DD51D2F.jpeg

2979263C-B469-4141-A0CD-00355593CB4F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

If they are Americans and Australians, then I would date the photo at 29 Sep 1918 during the Battle of the St Quentin Canal near  Quennemont Copse and the tanks being from 16th Battalion

https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1918/st-quentin-canal-29-september-to-2-october-4th-army/16-battalion-29-september-1918

Two original tank skippers - Richard Clively (B then C Coy) and Jethro Tull (C Coy) - were involved

Clively was awarded the MC.  When the American attack stalled and  " the situation was obscure, and it was obvious that the attack which should have proceeded had miscarried, and the enemy were holding the line in strength only 500 yards in front, (Richard) held a conference with the infantry company commanders, and under heavy machine gun fire, organised a fresh attack to endeavour the reach the start line. Regardless of his own personal safety, he distributed his tank amongst the infantry and by his coolness set an example to all ranks.".  During the second stage of the attack, supporting the Australian, all of his tanks were knocked out 

On 15/11/2022 at 06:43, Skipman said:

Photograph 10

'The Kaiser and his son behind the German front line 1917'

Forum Album Kaiser and son front behind german front line 1917.jpg

Blimey, didn't he look like Edward VIII and George VI?
Were they 2nd cousins?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

31 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Blimey, didn't he look like Edward VIII and George VI?
Were they 2nd cousins?

A nephew of Queen Victoria so yes I think so.  The majority of the European monarchs before WW1 were apparently referred to by George V as the cousins. 

• Admin

The Kaiser was Queen Victorias Grandson. His mother was Victoria, first child of Queen Victoria Edward V111 and George V1 were great Grandsons, their father being George V, son of Edward V111. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

The Kaiser was Queen Victorias Grandson. His mother was Victoria, first child of Queen Victoria Edward V111 and George V1 were great Grandsons, their father being George V, son of Edward V111. 

Useful clarification Michelle, thank you.

Here is the King in German uniform with the Kaiser in British! 

6E211F10-DE30-4769-A057-2901978849E4.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Photo #9 - great! There are always a couple caught unawares by the camera. could have been my old school photo!

Photo #14 an excellent shot of a moment in time, unposed and still fresh.

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Edward VII.

Edited by RNCVR

• Admin

Apologies. I’ll go and stand on the naughty step. 

Hi Michelle, no need to apologize, its easy to get them mixed up, a lot of intermarriage between the various German Royal houses & the UK Royal family, many of the matches arranged by Queen Victoria herself.

Best wishes, Bryan

• Admin

I didn’t get them mixed up BTW,  I just typed an extra 1 after the Edward.

13 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Photograph 16

Dunkeld 1916

Scottish Horse would you say. Is it me or is that quite modern looking kit?

Mike

Forum Album Dunkeld 1916.jpg

No it’s the special regimental uniform of the Scottish Horse, scalloped breast pocket flaps and cuffs with 3-buttons.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Excellent and interesting photographs Mike.

As an aside and seeing the photograph of two cousins together reminds me of the Great War being described by some as a fallout of three cousins.

12 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Thanks Frank. Here's another interesting one.

Photograph 17

The German front line 1917 (would they not be wearing helmets by 1917?)

Mike

Forum Album German front ine 1917.jpg

Heavy guns with long range in a wooded area, so presumably thought themselves comparatively safe. 

Wearing a combat helmet continuously must have put a strain on the neck. Behind the lines but would soon don helmets should there be an indication of incoming fire

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Heavy guns with long range in a wooded area, so presumably thought themselves comparatively safe. 

"Wearing a combat helmet continuously must have put a strain on the neck. Behind the lines but would soon don helmets should there be an indication of incoming fire "

OK Thanks both, that makes sense.

Mike

Great photos Mike. 

Photo #16. Pardon my ignorance! Why is the man front row second from our left wearing three chevrons on his lower arm pointing up, and the sergeant next to him wearing his chevrons on his upper arm pointing down? Are they both sergeants? Is the first a WO? 

Edit. Looking closer, the first man mentioned appears to have four chevrons of a darker colour compared to all the other chevrons shown in the photo.

Edited by geraint

3 hours ago, geraint said:

Great photos Mike. 

Photo #16. Pardon my ignorance! Why is the man front row second from our left wearing three chevrons on his lower arm pointing up, and the sergeant next to him wearing his chevrons on his upper arm pointing down? Are they both sergeants? Is the first a WO? 

The man with 4-stripes [edit] point up and crown above (just discernible) is the Acting Sergeant Major (of battalion), the most senior regular permanent staff member in the battalion.  He was selected personally by the commanding officer from among the regular musketry instructors (one per sub unit).  
Unlike his counterpart in a regular, or militia unit, the Acting Sergeant Major was not graded as a warrant officer (a legacy from VF days).  However, that changed in Summer 1915 at the same time as CSM/SSM/RQMS were elevated to warrant officers of a new second class.  The 4-stripes with crown badge was abolished simultaneously.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Wow! Excellent answer Frogsmile. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge which members have. Thank you!

Geraint