Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War photograph album

Skipman

Photograph 1

Our local history group has been gifted a photograph album containing 50-odd images from the Great War period. I have been sent these scanned images and have not seen the album yet but, as far as I know, we don't know who took the photographs or who it belonged to. It was bought in a shop in Edinburgh in the 1980 and been in a loft since. Any thoughts on the photos most welcome. The first photograph is one of Major Cecil Leonard Knox VC. Do not know when, or where this was taken.

Mike

Forum Album Cecil Knox VC.jpg

Edited by Skipman

Photograph 2

The second photograph is captioned 'Belgium 1918' Not sure if that is Knox on the right?

Mike

Forum Album Belgium 1918.jpg

Edited by Skipman

Hi Mike. As a second set of eyes looking at the rider on the right in the middle photograph I would say almost certainly Knox. The cap badge is obviously that of the RE and, unless I am imagining it, a furrow can be seen on his brow.... the moustache is also very similar. 

6 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi Mike. As a second set of eyes looking at the rider on the right in the middle photograph I would say almost certainly Knox. The cap badge is obviously that of the RE and, unless I am imagining it, a furrow can be seen on his brow.... the moustache is also very similar. 

Thanks Gunner 87, think it most likely is him.

Mike

Cecil Leonard Knox VC was from Nuneaton in Warwickshire. The family house was  called “Fyves Court”  which stood son the A5 just outside Nuneaton but is now derelict have been set alight by arsonists having stood empty for a number of years. It  is a possibility. He was killed post war after coming off his motor cycle on Bucks Hill  just outside Nuneaton.

A brother,  who had a DSO and bar, was kia in Italy in whilst commanding 1/7 RWR. And a second was kia in 1915 whilst also serving with the RE

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-first-world-war-heros-25710164

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

56 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Thanks Terry. Do you know of any Dunkeld, Perthshire, Scottish Horse connection?

Mike, there is a Scottish connection:

https://www.facebook.com/nuneatonlocalhistorygroup/photos/gm.2237877869797381/2348228832089153/?type=3&eid=ARDKxUSylJsrGvV5yFvEwvryRwPfPyrFNuLo3QQSLpVFoaV2iGBLATHMHn8xeqADw7R_GQegTrFU7X

Forget Fyves Court by the way, built in 1931. The house pictured in the link above might be worth checking.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Photograph 7

There are also a number of battlefield views. Possibly the Salient as there are a few from the Ypres area.

'A Crater'

Forum Album Crater 1.jpg

Photograph 8

Crater

Mike

Forum Album Crater 2.jpg

Edited by Skipman

Mike

The house is still a going concern as a hotel. It might be worth sending them a copy of the photo to see if the fireplace in the background of your photo can be matched.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

8 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Mike

The house is still a going concern as a hotel. It might be worth sending them a copy of the photo to see if the fireplace in the background of your photo can be matched.

TR

That's an idea Terry, wouldn't have thought of that. Was wondering if the bridge in photograph 8 could be the Tugny bridge blown up by Knox?

Mike

6 minutes ago, Skipman said:

That's an idea Terry, wouldn't have thought of that. Was wondering if the bridge in photograph 8 could be the Tugny bridge blown up by Knox?

Mike

I don’t know. I think the company were responsible for the demolition of a number of bridges at that time.

TR

Looks like a Reservist's Annual Summer Camp? (similar to many others - especially with the line of Bell Tents)....or OTC judging by the haberdashery on display.

The Bridge in Photo 8 looks like one of the Infantry crossing points on the Yser Canal up towards Boezinghe but the canal banks may be a bit less steep

image.png.7ce599969455beea766d248bf19fb25b.png

Edited by Lee Smart

12 hours ago, Skipman said:

Photograph 7

There are also a number of battlefield views. Possibly the Salient as there are a few from the Ypres area.

'A Crater'

Forum Album Crater 1.jpg

Photograph 8

Crater

Mike

Forum Album Crater 2.jpg

Could it be a section of the ramparts?