Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Regiment and patches

caladonia

• Admin

The man in the coat is wearing Somerset Light Infantry badges and appears to be an amputee. Looks like Ox and Bucks Light Infantry for the other man. Don’t know about the patches though. 

Hello Michelle

Thanks for the reply, I was assuming the soldier was also in the Somerset LI.

I think the star patch was worn by units seving in N. Russia, but have no idea what the other is, except that it looks like the patch worn by the 1st Batt, Hampshire Regt in France!

So I'm a bit baffled.

William

• Admin

SOMLI for the amputee but the other soldiers shoulder badge to me looks like the OBLI bugle and cord. @FROGSMILEshould be able to assist.

54 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

SOMLI for the amputee but the other soldiers shoulder badge to me looks like the OBLI bugle and cord. @FROGSMILEshould be able to assist.

Totally agree with you concerning the amputee as Prince Albert’s (Somerset Light Infantry).  Their badge with Jellalabad castellation is unmistakable.  I also understand why you thought the other fellow was OBLI, but just as there was a universal grenade for fusiliers (and various other corps), there was similarly a universal bugle horn of stringed German type (French was looped) used for all light infantry shoulder titles from 1905.  It was effectively a smaller version of the OBLI cap badge and indeed had been used briefly as a cap badge for the field service cap (aka side cap) between 1894 and 1898, when purpose designed badges were belatedly brought into use.  I suspect then that both men are Somersets.  See also: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/132738-somerset-light-infantry-shoulder-titles/

9032A827-503C-470E-A479-FE02D1754B19.jpeg

9D864C99-811B-4F94-8252-3D534921040F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The man on the left is wearing medal ribbons though can’t say which (trio ?). I suspect the man on the right is wearing hospital blues under his top coat.

Simon

Hello Again

Thank you all for your replies.

I've done a bit of goggling, and found that the 1st batt, Ox&Bucks served in Russia for a time in 1919, so thats probally his battalion.

Still can't find any explination

of the tiger like patch below the star.

William

Hello again

Sorry Frogsmile, I should have read your post correctly before posting, If the soldier is Sommerset LI, then I can't find any mention of  batts of the Regiment that served in Ruusia, so his patches are very confusing!

William

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

The man on the left is wearing medal ribbons though can’t say which (trio ?). I suspect the man on the right is wearing hospital blues under his top coat.

Simon

British War Medal and Victory Medal.   Pete.

8 hours ago, caladonia said:

Hello again

Sorry Frogsmile, I should have read your post correctly before posting, If the soldier is Sommerset LI, then I can't find any mention of  batts of the Regiment that served in Ruusia, so his patches are very confusing!

William

I wasn’t saying he was definitely OBLI, just that his shoulder title could not be used as evidence on the basis of the style of bugle horn, because at that time the same pattern of bugle was used for all LI shoulder titles. On the basis of his shoulder title alone he could’ve been any of the light infantry units except HLI, but the North Russia formation sign should, as you’ve suggested, narrow things down.  My suggestion of Somersets for both men was just conjecture that they might have been comrades and chums from the same unit.  Hope that’s understood now.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The "tiger" patch is a battalion patch for the 1st Battalion Hampshire Regiment, Yellow 

Edited by EDWARD1
remove white....

3 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

The "tiger" patch is a battalion patch for the 1st Battalion Hampshire Regiment, Yellow 

Is it definitely a Tiger, because he’s wearing a 2-piece light infantry shoulder title?

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

patch2.jpg

tigerpatch.jpg

Well it certainly seems to match Edward1.  Can you do the same thing with the shoulder title?  Both Michelle and I see a 2-piece light infantry shoulder title, but perhaps we’re misled by a less than perfect view.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Confused as this quoted as 10th Scottish Rifles

10thscotrifle.jpg

Also the sign of the 1919 North Russian Relief Force. 

Cheers,

GT.

9 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

shouldertitle.jpg

Perfect!  Unquestionably a light infantry shoulder title.  It still looks to me like Somerset.

Hello

Thank you all for the replies to my querry.

The only connection between the Somersets and the Hampshires I can see is that the 1st Battalions of each were in 11th Brig of 4th Div, although none of these units went on to serve in Russia?

I think I shall remain baffled!

Could it be a flaming grenade above a curved title? 

DBA464CF-30E9-4B9F-A339-49794A46F82C.jpeg

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Could it be a flaming grenade above a curved title? 

DBA464CF-30E9-4B9F-A339-49794A46F82C.jpeg

Definitely not, the trefoil loop at the top of the universal bugle horn is absolutely clear to me.

47B1DAFE-0FB7-4741-A2F0-AEFE262B6F17.jpeg

Hello there

Ive been doing some digging to try and identify this chap and try to find out why he's wearing odd patches, and I think I may have cracked it!

I found this excellant thread on the forum from several years ago, and on page 3 is a table that mentions several officers and men of the Somerst Light Inf were attached to the 2nd Batt Hampshire Regt while in Russia.

I also found on an old harddrive of mine several saved photos from an unknown web site that shows a group of 2nd Hampshire men in Russia showing the Tiger patch.

So this chap is a member of the Somerset Light Infantry, attached to the 2nd Hampshires, home from Russia c1919-1920. Unfortunatly I still havent found his battalion?

William

2nd Batt hampshire Regt, N Russia.jpg

4 minutes ago, caladonia said:

Hello there

Ive been doing some digging to try and identify this chap and try to find out why he's wearing odd patches, and I think I may have cracked it!

I found this excellant thread on the forum from several years ago, and on page 3 is a table that mentions several officers and men of the Somerst Light Inf were attached to the 2nd Batt Hampshire Regt while in Russia.

I also found on an old harddrive of mine several saved photos from an unknown web site that shows a group of 2nd Hampshire men in Russia showing the Tiger patch.

So this chap is a member of the Somerset Light Infantry, attached to the 2nd Hampshires, home from Russia c1919-1920. Unfortunatly I still havent found his battalion?

William

2nd Batt hampshire Regt, N Russia.jpg

That is brilliant research, caladonia!  Amazing really that after over a hundred years you’ve been able to pin that bit of crucial information down that clarifies what would otherwise have been difficult to explain away. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

The white star on navy blue backing is indeed the insignia of the 'North Russia Relief Force' of 1919.

1st (Grogan's) Brigade of the North Russia Relief Force consisted of 1st Oxs and Bucks and 2nd Hampshires although both battalions were 'composite' and the bulk of their number made up of drafts of soldiers attached from other units.

These men were serving regular soldiers ordered for service in North Russia in 1919 and unlike 2nd (Sadleir-Jackson's) Brigade, NRRF, were not volunteers re-enlisted specifically for service in North Russia.

5 officers and 70 other ranks of Somerset Light Infantry formed the bulk of 'W' (SLI) Company, 2nd Hampshires.

It is a very interesting yet little known aspect of modern history, the British Army fought a war against the Red Army in Russia!

26962181_10155444778689624_5263444211633796353_o.jpg.c17ec2c11e0c98cf646f87800ae1ee03.jpg

Edited by wrightdw

Hello

wrightdw, and thanks for your interesting post, I don't suppose you know which battalion the SLI "volunteers" came from?

Another  thing I've just noticed from the oringinal photo- is it not odd, given the date and circumstances of his servece that he has no overseas service stripes?

William