Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somerset Light Infantry Shoulder Titles

jaygosub1418

Can anyone tell me where I can get information (visual if possible) on the brass shoulder titles worn by the Somerset Light Infantry. I have a studio picture of my great grandfather and I'm trying to see what the shoulder title is. I'm aware that there's probably the semi-circular 'SOMERSET' and possibly the hunting horn but there also looks to be something else. I've also seen an image where a flaming grenade is present - is that right? Why would a rifle regiment have a flaming grenade!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jay

Jay

Here's a picture of a pair of SLI titles on a service dress jacket worn by a member of the 1st Battalion, 4th Division, in the final stages of the war. The titles are simple two-piece ones. Note that the bugles are a pair with mouths facing forwards. Note also the yellow ram's head divisional sign and the battalion colours underneath.

Regards,

W,

post-6903-1252581348.jpg

Wainfleet - superb, many thanks for this, that's exactly what I wanted to see. I'm trying to piece together my great grandfather's units - he enlisted in Oct 1914 for the 16th Rifle Brigade (which confuses me as the only reference I find for them is a London unit - he was from Portishead nr Bristol) then to the Somerset L.I. which is the picture I have of him, then to the 22nd Wessex & Welsh, then to the Inniskilling Fusiliers. From this I can guess his area of operation was probably France then Salonika and that he was part of the Inniskilling Battalion that was rebuilt using men from the light infantry. I don't have his full service history only his discharge to the reserve so it's proving difficult - thanks for the pics though, excellent.