Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old bible found any info appreciated

Lisa84

Hi 

I have an old holy bible that I found in a pile of old books I was just wondering if anyone could date it and would know whether it has any value or worth keeping ? I would also love to know who the soldier is ( my husband is currently serving in the Royal Engineers so very intrigued with stuff like this . 
it appears to have a hand written quote dated 1890 and another bit written that says 1st Royal Lancers /Lances ( can’t really make out the writing properly) 

can anyone give a date for it or any information ? 
much appreciated 

Lisa 

7C338B36-86B8-4D6E-978D-87A3DE238F6B.png

5DA7FC17-CF29-48FA-964A-CB22C08EE414.png

2A61521B-A5EB-4ACC-95B2-53F26940BDDC.png

Edited by Lisa84

Hi there 

also have one of these that I found in an old pile of books . Are they any value I wonder and what era would it be from ? Interested in finding out more about mine :) 

6A4A6E79-A7BB-45AE-85C8-95695F9972B4.png

976D8C46-9F29-4C45-96B4-019B627DB7E7.png

F73F5C25-08CF-4946-9774-329CBAD7F1B9.png

Welcome to the Forum.

William Acworth's service record survives. Attested to the Regular Army as number 8929 in the Loyal North Lancs.

Re-enlisted in the Artillery on 11/10/1910 with new number 62709.

Born Enfield, family living Ponders End in 1907- see list of siblings in service record. 

Charlie 

Edit- he deserted 1911 !!

Edited by charlie962

Hi Charlie 

Thank you for this information that’s greatly appreciated. My husband is currently serving in the Royal Engineers so stuff like this I love learning about :) 

How would o date the Bible itself I wonder and is there any online archive of this soldier mentioned in this Bible ? It was found in Dorset when I bought some old books to put on a display shelf but I held onto this as I really liked the handwritten parts. 

also I noticed your reply with ‘deserted 1911 , can you explain what that means please I’m clueless 😊

Edited by Lisa84

Thank you may I ask what does the term deserted mean , as in abandoned duty or ?? 
Are these bibles of any value at all do you know ? Never seen them before and hard to find one anywhere apart from a few on here but not sure if they are common nowadays 

thank you 

Lisa 

27 minutes ago, Lisa84 said:

may I ask what does the term deserted mean , as in abandoned duty

Yes = ran away from the Army.

M

Oh dear ! Well that’s interesting as to why where when , I guess I’ll never know . Thanks for clarifying that though . I wonder if the Bible itself is as old as the handwriting stating the date 1890 are they often found these ones or rare now 

This was his first regiment Lisa.  Men had all kinds of reasons for absconding from barracks and not returning. Civilian clothes were not permitted and a man had to earn the right to leave barracks (called walking-out) via good behaviour.  They could then put on their best uniform and book out of barracks for a period of some hours, always having to be back by retreat (around 6pm) and then accounted for at tattoo (10pm).  Some men simply ran away because of a girl friend who they were worried they might not see again.  All soldiers of those times were encouraged to obtain a bible, known as a Soldier’s Testament and they were often provided for free at local soldiers clubs run by various Christian based organisations, perhaps the most famous being the ‘Sandes Homes’.

The regimental headquarters and training depot was in the very famous Fulwood Barracks, in Preston which still stands (check out the ballad of McCafferty).https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCafferty

0C59B257-8880-40C7-A066-24B6586C4207.jpeg

EA00D760-4829-47BD-ACA4-20DACDCEF948.jpeg

C7BE5E27-9EDF-403C-AFA4-F9DDB3AE3CBA.jpeg

9AB3574A-3578-49AE-9B61-9AAF9E01C7BF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, Lisa84 said:

wonder if the Bible itself is as old as the handwriting stating the date 1890

The 1890 date refers to his birth but the 1907 '07' date is his joining the army and the probable date of the Bible.

7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This was his first regiment Lisa.  Men had all kinds of reasons for absconding from barracks and not returning. Civilian clothes were not permitted and a man had to earn the right to leave barracks (called walking-out) via good behaviour.  They could then put on their best uniform and book out of barracks for a period of some hours, always having to be back by retreat (around 6pm) and then accounted for at tattoo (10pm).  Some men simply ran away because of a girl friend who they were worried they might not see again.  All soldiers of those times were encouraged to obtain a bible, known as a Soldier’s Testament and they were often provided for free at local soldiers clubs run by various Christian based organisations, perhaps the most famous being the ‘Sandes Homes’.

0C59B257-8880-40C7-A066-24B6586C4207.jpeg

EA00D760-4829-47BD-ACA4-20DACDCEF948.jpeg

C7BE5E27-9EDF-403C-AFA4-F9DDB3AE3CBA.jpeg

This is brilliant information:) thank you for taking the time to send this 

12 minutes ago, Lisa84 said:

This is brilliant information:) thank you for taking the time to send this 

I’m glad to help Lisa.  

32A23E5B-55FF-4BEB-8536-118BE63A7B72.jpeg

26E01E16-4A5E-4B89-A588-BD78C4051647.jpeg

E69457D6-77CD-493F-97FD-32963922FC29.jpeg

EC0F2914-49ED-4B20-9936-D30E96287FA0.jpeg

5CC92A60-EE46-4A72-938E-43076614436E.jpeg

7DB06CFA-0270-485A-8271-DF9112153031.jpeg

AFBFF8D0-2E79-4EC7-AE08-0AC5F347FDBF.jpeg

F96B4778-0F63-42C8-8905-FE05A72E3E7D.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m glad to help Lisa.  

32A23E5B-55FF-4BEB-8536-118BE63A7B72.jpeg

26E01E16-4A5E-4B89-A588-BD78C4051647.jpeg

E69457D6-77CD-493F-97FD-32963922FC29.jpeg

EC0F2914-49ED-4B20-9936-D30E96287FA0.jpeg

5CC92A60-EE46-4A72-938E-43076614436E.jpeg

7DB06CFA-0270-485A-8271-DF9112153031.jpeg

It’s lovely to be able to see all these old pictures I love history :) is the Bible worth holding onto do you think. Are they hard to come across? 

3 minutes ago, Lisa84 said:

It’s lovely to be able to see all these old pictures I love history :) is the Bible worth holding onto do you think. Are they hard to come across? 

I don’t think that they’re especially rare Lisa, but I doubt that many families keep them at home nowadays.

I wonder if there is anywhere or any use to any researchers I can donate it to as myself and husband move around a lot with him being in the army so at some point it’ll probably get damaged or lost it’s be a shame considering how old it is. 

48 minutes ago, Lisa84 said:

I wonder if there is anywhere or any use to any researchers I can donate it to as myself and husband move around a lot with him being in the army so at some point it’ll probably get damaged or lost it’s be a shame considering how old it is. 

You could see if Fulwood barracks might like it, there used to be a museum there but I don’t know if it’s survived.  There’s also the garrison church, but to be honest I’ll be surprised if there is much enthusiasm.  Soldier’s bibles aren’t really rare.  Perhaps if you can trace the family via online genealogy sites….

Fulwood Barracks is allegedly haunted! I attested there many years ago. I didn’t see any ghosts but it is quite an oppressive building for one’s first look inside a barracks.:(

Fulwood Barracks, Preston

Now host to records, artefacts and achievements of past infantry Lancashire regiments, which are now part of The Duke of Lancaster Regiment established in 2006. The Barracks in Preston preserve the history of 120 units of the armed forces, including the Home Guard and Cadets etc. 

The most haunted part of the Barracks is the Old Officers Mess. In 1910 a witness only know as M.A.R. was awakened by a gale force storm ripping through the town. He got of bed to close the shutters to silence the deafening noise of the wind and windows rattling. 

He fell asleep again, and was rudely awakened again to a sound resembling a thunder clap. Sitting awake to get a sense of how the storm was progressing, his eyes set upon the image of what appeared to be an illuminating figure near the foot of his bed. M.A.R saw the figure was wearing a belt, he gasped with shock and lay back down on his bed. The figure just gradually vanished before him. 

So frightened by his experience he ran to the next quarter of a Lieutenant and was offered to sleep on the camp bed with him, which M.A.R quite happily accepted. He was made fun of the next day and offers to sleep in his quarter were accepted and they slept well. Other past occupants of the room sensed a peculiar atmosphere n the room.

It is reported a tragic incident had occurred in that very room years before. In the Garrison Chapel a friendly but mischievous spirit resides there. Cleaning equipment would move, a brass pot flew across the room and a television crew’s equipment refused to work in certain areas. Roman soldiers are seen from the waist up walking along an old roman road near the barracks, not forgetting the terrain has changed and elevated over last 2000 years.

9 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Fulwood Barracks is allegedly haunted! I attested there many years ago. I didn’t see any ghosts but it is quite an oppressive building for one’s first look inside a barracks.:(

Fulwood Barracks, Preston

Now host to records, artefacts and achievements of past infantry Lancashire regiments, which are now part of The Duke of Lancaster Regiment established in 2006. The Barracks in Preston preserve the history of 120 units of the armed forces, including the Home Guard and Cadets etc. 

The most haunted part of the Barracks is the Old Officers Mess. In 1910 a witness only know as M.A.R. was awakened by a gale force storm ripping through the town. He got of bed to close the shutters to silence the deafening noise of the wind and windows rattling. 

He fell asleep again, and was rudely awakened again to a sound resembling a thunder clap. Sitting awake to get a sense of how the storm was progressing, his eyes set upon the image of what appeared to be an illuminating figure near the foot of his bed. M.A.R saw the figure was wearing a belt, he gasped with shock and lay back down on his bed. The figure just gradually vanished before him. 

So frightened by his experience he ran to the next quarter of a Lieutenant and was offered to sleep on the camp bed with him, which M.A.R quite happily accepted. He was made fun of the next day and offers to sleep in his quarter were accepted and they slept well. Other past occupants of the room sensed a peculiar atmosphere n the room.

It is reported a tragic incident had occurred in that very room years before. In the Garrison Chapel a friendly but mischievous spirit resides there. Cleaning equipment would move, a brass pot flew across the room and a television crew’s equipment refused to work in certain areas. Roman soldiers are seen from the waist up walking along an old roman road near the barracks, not forgetting the terrain has changed and elevated over last 2000 years.

Oh that sounds very creepy indeed 😱 I have visited quite a few barracks due to my husbands career and I have to say some do look very eery one in particular is Kinloss barracks where there are soo many old hanger buildings and empty buildings that haven’t been used for years. Lots of great history there too ! 

Edited by Lisa84

1 minute ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Who then is G Ackworth who has signed the fly leaf ?

TR

I’m not sure , I see next to the W.a there is also a G Acworth and then another name which looks like a letter I presumably followed by same surname. I’d love to know who they were. William Acworth I now know a bit of information kindly given by above members. The quote about stealing the Bible fascinates me to whether it was their personal quote or an old saying. 

16 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Who then is G Ackworth who has signed the fly leaf ?

ACWORTH

Looks like an IA as well = Brothers?

M

Edit: We're both seeing IA :) - personally I'd rather be seeing an IPA in front of me! :D  But seriously ... it might be worth looking for a few Censuses around the turn of century dates in question.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

10 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

ACWORTH

Looks like an IA as well = Brothers?

M

Edit: We're both seeing IA :) - personally I'd rather be seeing an IPA in front of me! :D  But seriously ... it might be worth looking for a few Censuses around the turn of century dates in question.

I’m not very good at using genealogy to be honest so wouldn’t have a clue where to start haha. On the inner page there is also this ( pic attached) if anyone wants to do a bit of digging then go ahead I just wouldn’t know where to start. I’d love it if a relative was found I would happily post the Bible to them , I can’t bring myself to throw it away I feel like it’s someone’s history in a way and although may not be rare nor to any value throwing away a Bible doesn’t sit well with me *** 

13A9B44A-FCCA-4342-B5DD-B33216215AF3.jpeg

8AA8BB03-357B-47C6-9831-A073C73C8497.jpeg