Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

48th, 49th, 50th Field Ambulances. Reninghelst New Military Cemeter

Mick M

28 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It would be the date he was finally mobilised for service. Any period on the reserve was ignored (as was the 1 day before they were placed on the reserve).

Craig

Thanks for the clarification. So no clue there as to whether Derby scheme or conscript!

Edited by charlie962

I note on cwgc grave registration that another 13RF man died of wounds same day and is buried in the adjacent grave. Pte Harry Sharp 228238. (As an aside, Sharp's only brother was killed 2 days earlier during an air raid on Chatham where he was serving as a Stoker in the Navy- what a cruel stroke for his parents)**

So there were at least 2 men from 13RF died of wounds that day, 5/9/17.

I don't necessarily expect a war diary to record the died of wounds, sometimes just the wounding. 

Charlie 

**Edit- both the Sharp brothers appear in Nat Roll of the Great War, Luton volume.

Edited by charlie962
Spellink

20 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It depends on the type of entry, the date of entry, and the type of service (amongst other issues).

Craig

Ta, more homework, but it's good to know what to research.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Mick M said:

It mentions map 28 if anyone can locate that please, or if anyone can determine more from this entry it would help...

Yes it is very difficult to read, "2nd Sept-  ........ordered to move to Rossignol wood........... "  Rossignol wood is located at grid ref 28 SW N 22 a. Link to a National Library Scotland map here;https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464936  If I work any more out I will let you know, regards, Bob.  "5th Sept- Working parties were formed each day........" The last line says "Ypres Commines canal......."    

Edited by Bob Davies

6 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Yes it is very difficult to read, "2nd Sept-  ........ordered to move to Rossignol wood........... "  Rossignol wood is located at grid ref 28 SW N 22 a. Link to a National Library Scotland map here;https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464936  If I work any more out I will let you know, regards, Bob.  "5th Sept- Working parties were formed each day........" The last line says "Ypres Commines canal......."

Brilliant thank you. 

• Admin
Just now, Mick M said:

Brilliant thank you.

Happy to help. 6th Sept ..........batt to relieve 8th ...... regt

1 minute ago, Bob Davies said:

Happy to help. 6th Sept ..........batt to relieve 8th ...... regt

Thanks the author didn't seem to mention casualties anywhere in the diary.

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Mick M said:

Not from the dates you need, that I can see. A good list is written for casualties from end Sept begining October.    "4th Sept- Enemy aircraft/aviators ..... ..... ..... the night of Sept  3 + 4  and several bombs were dropped in the vicinity of the camp."

Edited by Bob Davies

5 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Not from the dates you need, that I can see. A good list is written for end Sept begining October.    "4th Sept- Enemy aircraft/aviators ..... ..... ..... the night of Sept  3 + 4  and several bombs were dropped in the vicinity of the camp."

I'll check that thanks.......someone else mentioned night aerial bombs at this location  from other sources.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Mick M said:

8th Sept-"................... Batt HQ now in dugouts in the ............ casualties killed  2 OR  wounded 8 OR. The White Chateau ..... ...... support companies .... ..... shelled at intervals."  What date or dates these casualties occoured I have no idea. I can see nothing in the Brigade WD, WO 95 2531-2_1image.png.cb33a5b58d3405103feb4c08bbd8b3ac.png.

5 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

8th Sept-"................... Batt HQ now in dugouts in the ............ casualties killed  2 OR  wounded 8 OR. The White Chateau ..... ...... support companies .... ..... shelled at intervals."  What date or dates these casualties occoured I have no idea. I can see nothing in the Brigade WD, WO 95 2531-2_1image.png.cb33a5b58d3405103feb4c08bbd8b3ac.png.

Thanks Bob, all I've got is he died of wounds on 5.9.17. No location so it could have been enroute to a CCS at his burial site. The best clue is the work parties they were engaged in, previously but in the same area they were in forward areas so all options are open, sniper, artillery etc. If only the casualty lists were available!

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Mick M said:

Thanks Bob, all I've got is he died of wounds on 5.9.17. No location so it could have been enroute to a CCS at his burial site. The best clue is the work parties they were engaged in, previously but in the same area they were in forward areas so all options are open, sniper, artillery etc. If only the casualty lists were available!

Yes I understand what you say Mick M, I imagine he could have been wounded any time before the 5th as has been talked about in previous posts here. If anything shows up I will let you know. Best of luck with your research, I would be interested to find out.

3 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Yes I understand what you say Mick M, I imagine he could have been wounded any time before the 5th as has been talked about in previous posts here. If anything shows up I will let you know. Best of luck with your research, I would be interested to find out.

Thanks, it's been an incredible response, as is usual for the forum...

Mick.