Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PILL BOX THE BARNOCLE

Lorre

A quick way to scan through a lot of maps showing Tyne Cot is to use TrenchMapper.

Put the map reference 28.D.17.a.4.2 in the box on the left and then click Convert.

Once there you can right click and Centre Map Here (or anywhere of interest) then right click again and choose Maps at Centre. As of today,  that is 323 maps. Owing to the scale, you will have to chnage zoom to see some of them.

There are also 3 aerial photographs.

Howard

10 hours ago, Curlew1919 said:

The Geordie name Tyne Cot was an amusing replacement name for the Flemish Kot obvious innit.... 

The Oxford English Dictionary defines "cot" as "a small house, a little cottage" and "a small erection for shelter or protection, as for sheep." It has its origins in Old English, the first citation is from a text written in 893 AD and it was used in modern English into the 20th century -- in other words, Tyne Cot could be a fully English name.

(As an aside, the OED defines "tyne" as "to enclose with a hedge or a fence." So technically a "tyned cot" would be a cottage with a fence around it. Is this a likely origin of the cemetery's name? Probably not, because I just came up with it based on looking at dictionary definitions, but as long as we're on the subject of speculative etymology, why not!)

Also a small shelter in flemish is Kot. 

It's not on the South Downs in England it's in Belgium. 

And since it was named by a Geordie Regiment the Northumberland Fusiliers not the London Rifles I don't think the geordie lads would be naming it after a privet hedge they would be naming it after their river Tyne yi nah like. 

So best out of 3:

Privet Hedge? nah

River Tyne yes

Cott. Short for Cottage? nah

Flemish Kot yes

South Downs? nah

Belgium yes

There you are 3 nil

Geordie River Tyne and a Flemish shelter that's sounds like Kot. 

What more do you need.

But the locals over there call it Tyne Kot in the street or Geordie's Shed in the pub.. 

Edited by Curlew1919
Correction

This is the last time I'll post here. These idiot theories are all just pure nonsense, as has been explained earlier in this thread by me and mebu.

"Tyne" because of other river names in the area (nothing to do with soldiers that were there in this case, but just map makers needing to find names, clusters of music instrument names or German generals or whatever can be found on trench maps as well). "Cott." from Cottage as all (ruined) buildings were named "House", "Farm" etc.

Flemish was at that time not even accepted as an official language on maps for those of you who were not even aware...

And did you know that there weren't even British soldiers in this area from +/- October 1914 to April 1915? You may know that the BEF was practically destroyed in First Ypres and the French were defending and holding most of the Ypres front.

8 hours ago, Curlew1919 said:

Also a small shelter in flemish is Kot. 

It's not on the South Downs in England it's in Belgium. 

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep insisting on this etymology in the face of all evidence to the contrary (i.e. Jan and mebu's explanations earlier in the thread)?

35 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

This is the last time I'll post here.

Before you go, a quick round of thanks to you and the serious researchers who took the trouble to try and locate primary sources before sharing.  It is appreciated.

• GWF TEAM locked this topic