Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two British Soldiers (Need Assistance)

pmboxing

Looking for any reports/documents/information in-relation to the following individuals:

Horace Wood - 1/7 London - Died October 7, 1916 at 20 y/o. Buried at the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France. Unknown what he died from/if he was recovered.

His brother Jack Wood. Unit unknown. All I have is his name, and that he survived the war but lost his leg.

Both are from Redruth, England. 

Any information/photos/reports pertaining to these individuals would be much appreciated. Please do not limit yourself to casualty reports/medical, but I presume that there must be some considering one died and the other was wounded.

One question I have pertaining to AT LEAST Horace: why was he assigned to the 1/7 London if he resided in Cornwall, England at Redruth? I am not too knowledgeable about how World War 1 regiments/units worked.

Thank you!

Edited by pmboxing

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.Horace has no known grave and is remembered on the Thiepval memorial, not buried there. Re being in the London, men were sent where they were needed, at least later in the war. At the start of the war, men sometimes chose , a long train journey may have been a reason, for example.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1555387/horace-wood/

Thank you! I assume he must have chose since he died in 1916 (unknown when he enlisted, but I presume it was around the timeframe that was earlier in the war). I have read the 7 London was broken up in the beginning by those who volunteered for foreign service (being split into the 1/7) and their reserves who did not immediately volunteer (being the 2/7). I assume that he was one of those that volunteered.

• Admin

You can download the war diaries free on the National website after you register, this will tell you the day to day actions, although it’s highly unlikely Horace will be mentioned by name. 47th Division were  involved in an attack on Snag Trench on 7/101/6. 

17 minutes ago, pmboxing said:

His brother Jack Wood. Unit unknown. All I have is his name, and that he survived the war but lost his leg.

Both are from Redruth, England.

The only WOOD from Redruth [66 East St.] showing up on WFA/Fold3 Pension cards is Horace - His mother [Thirza Jane] receiving a dependant's pension of 8/6 pw from 10.7.17

It is surprising that Jack [or possibly as John] is not also there if he lost his leg [this assumes he lived in Redruth post service] = Please advise, where did you get this disability info from.

M

9 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

You can download the war diaries free on the National website after you register, this will tell you the day to day actions, although it’s highly unlikely Horace will be mentioned by name. 47th Division were  involved in an attack on Snag Trench on 7/101/6. 

I am on the National Archives website, however, all I can find is this page that lists the methods of finding service records. They suggest going to websites in which fees apply. Please correct me if I am in the right area. 

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-of-the-first-world-war/

I am aware that the 1/7 London served in the Somme and left the line by 20 September 1916. His dod is listed as October 7, 1916. I presume he was either wounded at the Somme and died later, or there is something else I am not seeing. 

6 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

The only WOOD from Redruth [66 East St.] showing up on WFA/Fold3 Pension cards is Horace - His mother [Thirza Jane] receiving a dependant's pension of 8/6 pw from 10.7.17

It is surprising that Jack [or possibly as John] is not also there if he lost his leg [this assumes he lived in Redruth post service] = Please advise, where did you get this disability info from.

M

Appreciate the reply and research. The disability info comes from another family member who was doing family research before she herself died around 2010. I do not know of Jack lived in Redruth post-war, but I know the family originates from the town. There is a picture of both Jack and Horace together in their British uniforms that she sent over.

3 minutes ago, pmboxing said:

National Archives website,

Here are some 1/7 Bn London Regiment War Diaries https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_srt=3&_q="1%2F7"+London+"WO+95"

M

• Admin
2 minutes ago, pmboxing said:

There is a picture of both Jack and Horace together in their British uniforms that she sent over.

Is it possible to post the picture please? - at the highest possible resolution please [preferably scanned if possible].

We might be able to glean regimental details from badges etc.

M

• Admin

As I explained earlier, 1/7 were attacking Snag Trench on 7/10/16. As he has no known grave, I’d suggest killed in action and grave (if any) was lost in further fighting.

Appreciate your assistance. I am leaving for work now; I will send the photos ASAP (either tonight or tomorrow). 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

As I explained earlier, 1/7 were attacking Snag Trench on 7/10/16. As he has no known grave, I’d suggest killed in action and grave (if any) was lost in further fighting.

Understood. Thank you for the information! Amazing experience at this forum in just a few minutes!

Solidiers that Died in the Great War (SDGW) records Horace born at Llanteglos and enlisted in Redruth. He is also recorded as killed in action on that date. Also he was formerly Private 24364, Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry. The Medal Rolls show he first went overseas on 16th June 1916 and his transfer to the 7th London Rgt must have taken place prior to his overseas posting.

Horace’s War Gratuity payment of £3 (paid to his father Walter) would suggest an enlistment date - prior to his death, of 12 months or less.

Hello,

I found these "Medal Cards" of Horace Wood for free through the National Archives. Wondering if someone can make sense of them and explain his path with the dates/regiments and anything noted in them. I notice on the bottom the last date of entry is 21.2.17. Wondering what this means in particular as his death date is listed as October 7, 1916.

Thanks!

WO-372-22-44046.pdf

Edited by pmboxing

• Admin

These are MIC to 6 different men, the National Archives scanned 6 cards in one go. Your Horace #6418, went overseas after. 31/12/15 and was entitled to the war and victory medals. 

3 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

These are MIC to 6 different men, the National Archives scanned 6 cards in one go. 

That relieves a lot of confusion! His would have to be bottom left as it lists 7/ London. Would these be filled out by the soldier themselves?

Edited by pmboxing

• Admin

Filled out by clerks. Just an card index of medal entitlement. The numbers next to the medals refer to the medal rolls. 

6 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Filled out by clerks. Just an card index of medal entitlement. The numbers next to the medals refer to the medal rolls. 

Thank you! I also followed up on your information regarding Snag Trench. Very interesting that the 1/7 London suffered heavy casualties while attempting to reach the Butte (Snag being the trench 300 yards before). They encountered heavy German machine gun fire; some British actually reached the bottom of the Butte but were never seen again. Another note: Adolf Hitler was supposedly in the unit (16 Bavarian Reserve) that fought against the 1/7 London at the Butte; he was wounded on the date Horace died due to a shell injury to the leg.

Edited by pmboxing

12 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Solidiers that Died in the Great War (SDGW) records Horace born at Llanteglos and enlisted in Redruth. He is also recorded as killed in action on that date. Also he was formerly Private 24364, Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry. The Medal Rolls show he first went overseas on 16th June 1916 and his transfer to the 7th London Rgt must have taken place prior to his overseas posting.

Amazing information! Would you be able to link where you found it? 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464774

can’t see Snag trench but this is the area 

Thank you! That copy you provided is much easier to interact with. I found a map marked with the location of Snag Trench (black dot); I will be marking it on the one you provided for easier access. I have come across some others online who lost a relative on the assault.

https://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number13446/

Edited by pmboxing

13 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

M

Update on Jack Wood:

I have discovered a census of Redruth listing Jack, Horace, and his siblings as being dependents of Walter and Thirza Jane, indicating it is the correct household.

The correct, full name of Jack Wood is listed as John S. Wood. 

https://www.rootspoint.com/record/1901-UK-Census/Thirza-Jane-Wood-1862-Polruan-Cornwall-Redruth-Part-Of/8b57b601-8a3a-4160-a30b-226955bbadbc/

If there are any information regarding his service, such as his medical reports due to the lost leg, please let me know!

Thanks again!

Edited by pmboxing

Hi

Could this be Jack (John S)

S/n 242262 Royal West Kent's. SWB:-

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2456&h=252231&tid=&pid=&queryId=15e74b319f8adc0da2ce62731ebc2a36&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ewA1274&_phstart=successSource&_gl=1*8wvliw*_ga*OTIxNzAzNDM4LjE2NDAxNzcyMjI.*_ga_4PXYE4RLH1*MTY0NTE4MDAzMi41NS4xLjE2NDUxODAzMTAuMA..

Pension snippet on ancestry shows:-

Name: John Saunders Wood
Record Type: Disability
Birth Date: 1898
Residence Place: Redowth Civl
Military Service Region: South West, South West
Military Country: England
Discharge Date: 17 Apr 1918
Service Number: 242262
Corps, Regiment or Unit: R W
Service Branch: Military (Army)
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers