Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Zaida

bobpike

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Understood. When looking at family trees on Ancestry a couple of years ago I noted that there were 2 William Cawtes born 1879 who had Marine service in WW1. I also saw that some trees were incorrect in tracking which William Cawte was theirs. I say this just to make sure you are clear that your GU was Willaim George Cawte born 14 December 1879 Portsea and not William Cawte born 3 March 1879 Fareham ! The latter was a Naval Petty Officer and survived the war (and has a surviving service record).

For Zaida I have William George Cawte, born 14/12/1879 to William and Eliza of 61 Albion St Portsea. Baptised Feb 1880. Married Mary Jane Phillips 2/3/1901.  The 1891 Census for 61 Albion St shows 2 other sons, Albert and James

I note that the National Roll extract I copied above mentions he also served on the Yacht Ursula. I have not tried to research that boat.

Charlie

Hello Charlie, thanks for the info. Yes, William George of Albion Str. Portsea, is our man. The 1891 Census names Albert, who was my Paternal grandfather. Although his name was Albert Harry, he preferred and used the name Harry. Also, James was sadly killed in WW1 too in 1917.

10 minutes ago, Terry Cawte said:

Also, James was sadly killed in WW1 too in 1917.

Thanks for confirmation. As to James, if you wish to research him further then best to start your own thread under 'soldiers'. I note that James's entry in Soldiers Died in the Great War says FORMERLY 76037, R.F.A. ("C" SPEC. COY., R.E.). Special Coys RE were normally involved in Gas, I believe.  Plenty to research.

charlie

On 24/10/2020 at 14:21, charlie962 said:

Thanks for confirmation. As to James, if you wish to research him further then best to start your own thread under 'soldiers'. I note that James's entry in Soldiers Died in the Great War says FORMERLY 76037, R.F.A. ("C" SPEC. COY., R.E.). Special Coys RE were normally involved in Gas, I believe.  Plenty to research.

charlie

Thanks for the info, Charlie. 

Terry

• 1 year later...

Hi Charlie...I was re browsing the Zaida and came across you and DaveMac2916. I'm only a guest and so cant message either of you.

Can I ask what your connection to Zaida is?

• Admin

You can now you have made one post. 

Wooley makes a brief (bordering on flippant) mention of sinking of ZAIDA in the ‘wartime memories’ chapter of his book ‘As I seem to remember’ first published in 1962. According to what he wrote, he was onboard purely because it offered an opportunity for him to improve his health (as he’d not been particularly well in Cairo, and the Chief of Staff had suggested he should go). Anyway, he confirms that it was a mine explosion which sunk the ship and that it went down very quickly.

https://archive.org/details/asiseemtoremembe0000wool/page/110/mode/1up

MB

On 18/11/2021 at 00:28, KizmeRD said:

Wooley makes a brief (bordering on flippant) mention of sinking of ZAIDA in the ‘wartime memories’ chapter of his book ‘As I seem to remember’

I have previously posted the relevant extracts on this thread.