Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Zaida

bobpike

Can anyone, please, give me any information on H.M.S. "Zaida," I am particularly interested in its movements durin 1915 to 1916.1916

JJ Colledge, 1989, Ships of the Royal Navy Vol 2: Zaida Hired as an Auxiliary Patrol Yacht 25/5/16. Sunk 17/8/16 by ‘U.35’ gunfire in the eastern Mediterranean.

Capt Moore (ed), 1990, Jane’s Fighting Ships of World War One ZAIDA (1900). 350 tons. Sunk by a German Submarine, in the Gulf of Alexandretta, 17th August, 1916.

HELLO

In regard to her loss. Three officers and ten ratings and MMR were lost. A further one officer, one rating, and three MMR died while prisoners of war.

Thanks

don

HMY Zaida was in fact sunk by Ottomam shore batteries and not by the German submarine U 35. U 35 was off Malta on August 17, 1916.

Best wishes,

Michael

Don, Most interesting, thank you. The man I'm interested in (below), where can I access his medal entiltlement, please?

PALMER

Initials: E T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Mercantile Marine Reserve

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Zaida,"

Date of Death: 15/10/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 35. 23042.

Cemetery: GOSPORT (ANN'S HILL) CEMETERY

HMY Zaida was in fact sunk by Ottomam shore batteries and not by the German submarine U 35. U 35 was off Malta on August 17, 1916.

Michael

An interesting conflict of evidence. Extracts from the 1919 edition of Jane's, Moore's main source, are available online at http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Janes_1919/Los...Aux_ML_CMB.html

Fred

Hello

Palmer died in UK of illness unrelated to loss of the ship.

don

Hello Bob

Sorry, I don't have a cause. The document I work from uses 1, 2, 3, or 4 as cause of deaths. 3 is "death from disease."

don

I am interested in this man from Larne as there is a family connection.

Claxton

Charles

leading seaman

H.M.S. Yacht Zaida

17-8-1916

Portmouth Naval Memorial

Quay Lane, Larne

So a photograph would be of interest, also what function, H.M.S. Yacht Zaida, had in the RN.

Liam

An interesting conflict of evidence. Extracts from the 1919 edition of Jane's, Moore's main source, are available online at http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Janes_1919/Los...Aux_ML_CMB.html

Fred

Fred,

And it also says in British Vessels Lost At Sea that Zaida was sunk by a submarine. The ultimate source of where German submarines where and what they were doing though is not BVLAS or Jane's but rather the war diaries of individual U-boats. These survive and are even available on microfilm. My research partner has U 35's KTB and she was off Sicily on August 17, 1916, where she sank the steamer Swedish Prince (12 miles NWxW Pantelleria Isl. 36°54'N 11°42'E).

Best wishes,

Michael

Hello !

I had to add, that in fact there was no other u-boat nearby.

There's an file at the PRO from the ADM 1 series:

ADM 1 / 8466 / 207 "HM Armed Yacht ZAIDA sunk by explosion. Casualties"

Nothing more to add !

Oliver

Many thanks for pursuing this interesting thread, but re : Palmer -

In regard to her loss. Three officers and ten ratings and MMR were lost. A further one officer, one rating, and three MMR died while prisoners of war.

As Palmer died nearly two months later, are there any more possibilities than

1. He was ill before the Zaida sailed. lingered in hospital then died?

2. He was rescued & later died from his wounds?

3. He was captured as a POW, but later repatriated/exchanged etc?

I attach a photo of a model of Zaida.

The article accompanying the photo doesn't say a lot that hasn't been said, except she was sunk by "U35 or U38". Could the possibility of U38's involvement be an explanation of the discrepancies mentioned?

Beautiful vessel, wasn't she?

Adrian

The article accompanying the photo doesn't say a lot that hasn't been said, except she was sunk by "U35 or U38". Could the possibility of U38's involvement be an explanation of the discrepancies mentioned?

No. U 38 sailed on August 12 from Constaninople for the West Mediterranean, sinking the steamer Rememberance in the Agean on the 14th. By the 18th she was in the Straits of Sicily. As Oliver said, no U-boats were in the area -- near the modern Syrian border -- where Zaida was sunk.

Best wishes,

Michael

Bob

The photo of the model came from a publication which I'd better not identify as its probably copyright! I can email you if you would like to know.

However, as it happens I belong to a Model Shipwrights Society, and I know the maker of the model slightly - a gentleman named Douglas Rose who must be among the finest ship modellers alive today; his workmanship is quite breathtaking. My own attempts are amateur by comparison; and since I've got involved in this forum even my rate of work has greatly decreased!

I imagine Douglas still owns the model

Adrian

Adrian,

thank you very much. I'll pass the details on to the lady concerned,

Bob

Further information on Edward Palmer & HMS Zaida. Can Pals throw any light on the relationship between HMS Zaida & HMS Hannibal & why CWGC lists Palmer on the former & this source on the latter? -

In a book on the Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes, it mentions that Zaida was owned by The Earl of Rosbery. The Navy List for July 1916, showed that SR Crabtree Commander of Zaida was retired, and joined the Zaida in June 1916, Zaida (from the Royal Yacht Squadron book) is mentioned as being tender to HMS Hannibal, East Indies and Egypt Station sunk 17/8/1916 owned by The Earl of Rosebery.

Edward Palmer is not mentioned in the lists under Zaida. Edward's death certificate states, cause of death "Pulmonary Tuberculosis " 2 months certified by Geo T. Broatch MB. His ship is given as HMS Hannibal and he is Articifer Engineer RNR

• 1 year later...
Guest rob spence

Hi

Not sure if this thread is still running, but I have done alot of research on the Zaida in the past as my grandfather ( Samuel George Stoddart Spence ERA ) was killed on her when she hit mines in 1916. In 1996 I led a party of divers to Yumurtalik to locate the wreck and possible graves ashore...if any one is interested I may be able to add some answers to any questions you may have.

Cheers

Rob Spence

• 1 year later...
Hi

Not sure if this thread is still running, but I have done alot of research on the Zaida in the past as my grandfather ( Samuel George Stoddart Spence ERA ) was killed on her when she hit mines in 1916. In 1996 I led a party of divers to Yumurtalik to locate the wreck and possible graves ashore...if any one is interested I may be able to add some answers to any questions you may have.

Cheers

Rob Spence

Hi Rob I was interested to read your article with regards to the Zaida. I have been researching the commanding officer S.R. Crabtree as he appears on our village war memorial. I would love to hear what you have found out and do you have any photos. I believe that Crabtree has now been buried in a cemetery north of Baghdad. Many thanks for any help.

Andy......

The ZAIDA seems to have been engaged in intelligence work as she had on board a Captain Woolley, Military Intelligence Officer at Port Said. There is also a story that she struck a mine in the Gulf of Alexandretta and sank with the loss of twelve men (including Woolley), the survivors being taken prisoner by the Turks.

• 10 years later...
On 10/12/2007 at 23:13, ionia said:

she had on board a Captain Woolley, Military Intelligence Officer at Port Said

Interesting to see this old thread.

The ICRC records have R50171 showing three officers off the ship being held PoW. Capt Woolley is  (Sir) Charles Leonard Woolley the archaeologist. His wiki biog is here and includes this extract

861454524_WoolleyCLextract1.JPG.e91955a30b0409ee9686eba617be7f07.JPG

R50171

1509889227_WoolleyCLICRCR50171.JPG.0c9e43fffaf73e29617ddebfe092b383.JPG

Woolley has an ICRC  index card but  I cannot see one for the other two ?

1911 Census 17 Randolph Crescent is the family Cowan, Stockbroker.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962