Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 South Staffs - 6898 Pte Samuel Allen KIA - Day 1 The Battle of Loos 25 Sep 1915

D Barrington

2 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi David,

I haven't looked at them, but depending on how much more context you would like, it might be be also worth downloading the diaries for:

2 Division Headquarters (General Staff)
2 Division Headquarters (Adjutant and Quarter-Master General)
Commander Royal Artillery  2 Division
Commander Royal Engineers 2 Division
Any unit specifically identified as being responsible for the gas attack
Assistant Director Medical Services 2 Division

The National Archives search page is here

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks. That will keep me busy for a while :)

Cheers

David

2 hours ago, AndyJohnson said:

Hi David

I don't know of you have a 'decent' photo of your g g/f, but in an idle moment I picked up the Express & Star article and extracted his image and did a bit of playing. The first one is straight forward with blur/sharpen, contrast etc, but on the second I did a bit more "interpretation". You'll like it or hate it, if you hate it let me know and it will disappear for ever.

I knew that Cobden Street rang a bell with me. In the 1901 Census, no 46 was the home of the Carter family, eldest son William Henry (Harry) wasn't there as he was in South Africa with the South Staffs. In August 1914 he was a Sgt with 2/SS, by Sept 1915 a Lt with 2/SS, and by July 1917 Lt Col of 7/SS. Awarded MC & Bar, DSO & Bar, 4xMID. One of my real WW1 heroes and a pretty unknown Wolverhampton hero. Carter Road in Wolverhampton was renamed in his honour in 1918, well it had been Bismarck Street so it was time for a change! I'm currently working on a presentation for Wolverhampton WFA on Carter winning the Bar to his MC at Vimy in May 1916 using some original papers from his late daughter, Betty. Small world!

Andy

Allen Samuel.jpg

Allen Samuel x.jpg

Andy, 

Many thanks for taking this time to assist. I think I need you to do a similar restoration job on my passport photos. :)

I attach the last known picture of Samuel, which I believe was taken during his final furlough before his death. (cAug/Sep 15).  I'm hoping it may have been at my grandmothers christening (he had come back from the front to see his new born) and I'm checking the family churches to try to identify the stonework he is sitting on.

The connections between families, streets and battalions across Wolverhampton during WW1 is incredible. It really did affect every street, that's at least 3 servicemen from Cobden Street alone that have been mentioned in the last 3 days. 

Cheers

David

Samuel Allen 1915.jpg

Hi David,

14 minutes ago, D Barrington said:

I'm checking the family churches to try to identify the stonework he is sitting on

I'm not saying that it is, but I think that is worth bearing in mind that it might just be a studio prop.

Regards
Chris

Hi David,

On 02/10/2021 at 14:33, clk said:

Looking at the medal rolls for men from the 2nd Bn who disembarked on the same date as Samuel, the nearest 'near number' man I saw with surviving papers was 6901 Williams.

Forming a 'bracket 'for Samuel for men from the 2nd Bn who are showing as "disembarked" on the same date as him in the medal rolls there are also papers for a 6883 Garradley which show:

image.png.fc909067c3b8c9799b4135e5e2367cba.pngImage sourced from Findmypast

The records for 6883 Garradley and 6901 Williams show that they both attested on the following basis:

image.png.efc71bd4e1ae5b0dbfa83812096510d9.png
Image sourced from Findmypast

So for me, it seems likely that Samuel may have attested, and then 'joined' at the Regimental Depot at some time between 9.9.1903 and 8.10.1903. Then having served his initial 3 years with the Colours he was transferred to Section B of the Army Reserve, and returned to his civilian occupation. War having been declared he was mobilised from the Army Reserve, by the Regimental Depot on 5.8.1914 who posted him to the 2nd Bn. Having been mobilised, and presuming he moved with his Battalion, he would have gone to Aldershot, from where they left Southampton on 12.8.1914 on the SS Trrawaddy [Irrawaddy ??] - disembarking in Le Havre on the morning of 13.8.1914 ( Source TNA file WO 95/1362/1)

Regards
Chris

Edit:
It is not uncommon to see the disembarkation date recorded in the medal rolls being the date of leaving the UK, rather than that of arriving in theatre.

Edited by clk

20 hours ago, clk said:

Hi David,

Forming a 'bracket 'for Samuel for men from the 2nd Bn who are showing as "disembarked" on the same date as him in the medal rolls there are also papers for a 6883 Garradley which show:

image.png.fc909067c3b8c9799b4135e5e2367cba.pngImage sourced from Findmypast

The records for 6883 Garradley and 6901 Williams show that they both attested on the following basis:

image.png.efc71bd4e1ae5b0dbfa83812096510d9.png
Image sourced from Findmypast

So for me, it seems likely that Samuel may have attested, and then 'joined' at the Regimental Depot at some time between 9.9.1903 and 8.10.1903. Then having served his initial 3 years with the Colours he was transferred to Section B of the Army Reserve, and returned to his civilian occupation. War having been declared he was mobilised from the Army Reserve, by the Regimental Depot on 5.8.1914 who posted him to the 2nd Bn. Having been mobilised, and presuming he moved with his Battalion, he would have gone to Aldershot, from where they left Southampton on 12.8.1914 on the SS Trrawaddy [Irrawaddy ??] - disembarking in Le Havre on the morning of 13.8.1914 ( Source TNA file WO 95/1362/1)

Regards
Chris

Edit:
It is not uncommon to see the disembarkation date recorded in the medal rolls being the date of leaving the UK, rather than that of arriving in theatre.

Thanks Chris, very helpful.

Strange to think that these men may well have been at Lichfield with my GGF and could have served with and known him during his career. It reads as if the above serviceman may have moved between 1st & 2nd Bns. I wonder if my GGF was a 2nd Bn man through and through or not? 

A further question if I may. I understand existing engagements were extended for a year on mobilization, turning 12 years into 13. If a serviceman then completed his engagement during the war, would he have been discharged or not? If so, would a serviceman discharged before the start of conscription in 1916 have been recalled to the colours?

Cheers

David

Hi David.

This is a subject I have pondered over for a few years. There are so many questions I have too.

You may find the topic for Captain Kilby of interest to you as he is at rest with Samuel. They were both killed on the same day.

see the bottom of this data sheet.

Best wishes Martin from South Staffs.

data.JPG.fbea52ed656b64e4aecb9905a08925d7.jpg.07d78b1c59e132bdf77a5c21319e8f63.jpg

Here is the link to the post. Ignore the fist couple of items as they are just a preamble. BUT the rest should be good for you .

3 hours ago, D Barrington said:

A further question if I may. I understand existing engagements were extended for a year on mobilization, turning 12 years into 13. If a serviceman then completed his engagement during the war, would he have been discharged or not? If so, would a serviceman discharged before the start of conscription in 1916 have been recalled to the colours?

Being time-expired before the MSA 1916 meant he was eligible for discharge and, later, potentially subject to conscription.

Craig

Hi David,

53 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Being time-expired before the MSA 1916 meant he was eligible for discharge and, later, potentially subject to conscription.

Craig

That's what I thought too. I'm pretty sure I've come across a couple of 'time expired' men where that was the case, but I can't remember who they were to give you working examples.

Regards
Chris

47 minutes ago, Martin Feledziak said:

Hi David.

This is a subject I have pondered over for a few years. There are so many questions I have too.

You may find the topic for Captain Kilby of interest to you as he is at rest with Samuel. They were both killed on the same day.

data.JPG.fbea52ed656b64e4aecb9905a08925d7.jpg.07d78b1c59e132bdf77a5c21319e8f63.jpg

Here is the link to the post. Ignore the fist couple of items as they are just a preamble. BUT the rest should be good for you .

Hi Martin

Many thanks. Great detail which add real value to the story. The pictures and maps are also hugely helpful in visualising that terrible day.

Would it be safe to assume that my GGF was one of the 13 men buried by the Germans after the battle?

Also, I note the actions of Lt Williams on that day.  My GGF's remains were found at d.90.45 close to where Lt Williams' were found.  I wonder if my GGF was one of the men who was with Lt Williams manning the machine gun that provided covering fire for Capt Kilby's attack? 

Great work, many thanks

David

1 minute ago, clk said:

Hi David,

That's what I thought too. I'm pretty sure I've come across a couple of 'time expired' men where that was the case, but I can't remember who they were to give you working examples.

Regards
Chris

Thanks Guys, 

Ouch - a bit of a double whammy there, although understandable in the times. 

On 02/10/2021 at 21:18, clk said:

Hi David,

I'm not saying that it is, but I think that is worth bearing in mind that it might just be a studio prop.

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris

After some discussion with my mum, I think you are right. Her view is that is must have been a professional shot, the family would not have either the equipment or skills to do it themselves -especially in 1915!

It seems that this picture was originally some 2+ feet high. It was displayed in a large frame, with a silver commemorative cigarette box, his pipe and lace-edged postcards sent from the front.  Last reports of it are at the top of the stairs at the Four Crosses Pub in Bloxwich c1958, but the trail goes cold thereafter.  

Thanks

David

On 02/10/2021 at 18:54, D Barrington said:

I'm really beginning to get a good picture of the terrible events of that day. I did a quick check of where Kilby's body was found in 1929 and its only about 250m further east along the canal towpath from my GGF. It seems to support your suggestion that my GGF was in C Coy.  I'm thinking the series of events may have gone something like...

At 0630 C Coy attack down the towpath of the canal and railway line, led by Capt Kilby. My GGF and others following him, struggling through the gas blowing back from our own bombardment. The German resistance from the brickstacks and redoubts then cuts through the advancing troops, with my GGF and many others becoming casualties. Capt Kilby and a few others force their way forward until halted by german grenades. The attack falters and the few remaining troops return back to their lines, leaving the bodies of the dead to be lost in no-man's land while the battle moves backwards and forward for the next 3 years. 

Interesting!

I somehow got hold of, and transcribed, the letters of a German soldier (Fritz Limbach)  who was stationed at "Railway Triangle" (" Prellbock" in German), who died in the "Kilby attack" on 25th September 1915!

See https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/3569396258419823124?blogID=3569396258419823124&pli=1#allposts

And excerpts of his letters, including photographs of where he was stationed at the canal, of him, his grave etc.:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/216051-germany-fritz-limbach-letters-from-the-front-1915/?tab=comments#comment-2137135

Maybe of interest?

2 minutes ago, JWK said:

Interesting!

I somehow got hold of, and transcribed, the letters of a German soldier (Fritz Limbach)  who was stationed at "Railway Triangle" (" Prellbock" in German), who died in the "Kilby attack" on 25th September 1915!

See https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/3569396258419823124?blogID=3569396258419823124&pli=1#allposts

And excerpts of his letters, including photographs of where he was stationed at the canal, of him, his grave etc.:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/216051-germany-fritz-limbach-letters-from-the-front-1915/?tab=comments#comment-2137135

Maybe of interest?

Hi JWK

Many thanks. Yes, very. Great to have some 'independent' supporting information of the events of that day, as well as the extra detail on events from the 'other side of the wire'.

I hadn't thought about using German records in my research.  Irrespective of uniform or nationality, it seems the reality was similarly horrible for all soldiers on the battlefield.

Best wishes

David  

11 hours ago, clk said:

Hi David,

Regards
Chris

I have a few DLI men but not to hand.

The MSA of Jan 1916 didn't cover discharged soldiers but the second MSA of May 1916 brought many of them under conscription.

Craig

On 02/10/2021 at 17:54, D Barrington said:

I'm really beginning to get a good picture of the terrible events of that day.

Exactly the conclusion I came to from reading the various accounts available.

I have just done a quick addition plotting Samuel ALLEN onto square 15.

So that gives three locations.

I often wonder if there should be a modern search of that canal side. There must be at least  8 other soldiers from company C in that short stretch of land.

The German accounts, although confusing, state that they buried Lieut KING and Lieut HALL and 8 men from the South Staffs Regiment who died like hero's.

(KING and HALL are still missing)

BUT there is now considerable tree and bush growth so it would be difficult task and the other part of my mind says if they are there leave them to rest in peace.

Plots..JPG.76a6a426effdc6a5c960de548c63158e cc.jpg

Edited by Martin Feledziak

I just had a look on Google Earth and perhaps there is an option for an investigation to see if there are any missing soldiers still present.

Since I last looked the satellite imagery has been updated and all of the vegetation appears to have been cleared back.

To be honest there appears to have been some embankment work right at the very location.

NOTE My pins are very rough approximations !!

1635791848_newvegitation..JPG.23b208689021416de42ced2b76173082.JPG

12 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

I have a few DLI men but not to hand.

The MSA of Jan 1916 didn't cover discharged soldiers but the second MSA of May 1916 brought many of them under conscription.

Craig

Thanks Craig. Understood 👍

7 hours ago, Martin Feledziak said:

I just had a look on Google Earth and perhaps there is an option for an investigation to see if there are any missing soldiers still present.

Since I last looked the satellite imagery has been updated and all of the vegetation appears to have been cleared back.

To be honest there appears to have been some embankment work right at the very location.

NOTE My pins are very rough approximations !!

1635791848_newvegitation..JPG.23b208689021416de42ced2b76173082.JPG

Hi Martin

The very same thought came to me... a new search might find new leads, especially with new technologies like LIDAR.

However, the ground has been so turned over since 1915 with the effects of war, industry and the expansion of the canal and railway line, I wonder how much could be achieved without a full scale 'archaeological style' dig?

I've dropped ICWG a line to find out what the circumstances were when my GGF was discovered....may be helpful?

Thanks

David

On 04/10/2021 at 20:38, Martin Feledziak said:

Hi David.

Hi Martin, 

This was really helpful. I've also read all the relevant war diaries you pointed me to.

A couple of questions/clarifications came to mind, which I'd appreciate your view on.

My first observation is about my GGF and the potential for him to be involved to some extent with the actions of Lt Williams. Lt Williams was reported as bringing up the machine gun to provide covering fire onto the Redoubt for Kilby's assault. I read the Op Order for the attack and noted that this exactly how the machine guns were directed to be used. This made me think about how the machine guns might have been deployed across the Bn.  In the war diary and there is an entry (I think in Oct 15) which states that there were only 3 machine guns held by the Sp Coy, because the one used by Lt Williams had not been recovered. Could it be possible that Lt Williams was a Sp Coy officer attached to C Coy for the attack? If he was - and my GGF was supporting him - then could my GGF have also been in the Sp Coy?  Just another angle to consider. 

Also, I was interested in the events that lead up to the confirmation of the action and fate of Capt Kilby and his men. The 2SSR war diary shows an entry of 26th Oct reporting the cross  being erected at the site by 6SPAR. There are also details in letters to the family written by the CO, which I assume date from around that time. The first enquiries to Gen Menze by the family commence 1 Oct 15, which I assume is after the MIA notification. These continue through to Feb 1916, when Gen Menze confirms his death. The award of the VC was announced in Mar 16. 

However, none of these communications appear to record the actual detail of the action as written in the VC citation of Mar 16. The detail suggests to me that the account of Capt Kilby's valour must have come from a member of C Coy (in the assault group?) who survived the attack and returned to tell the tale. However, it seems that the full detail did not emerge until sometime later e.g. there is a report in Nov 15 of Kilby being wounded and a PoW. Is there any record of how/who the account of the action at the redoubt and Capt Kilby's role was identified.

Apologies in advance if I've misread or misunderstood any of the above information.    

Many thanks

David

15 minutes ago, D Barrington said:

by 6SPAR.

I know it was a nightmare for those who endured that miserable war but it is a topic that has stuck in my brain and keeps nagging away.

I am fairly sure that 6SPAR is actually Infanterie-Regiment Freiherr von Sparr (3. Westfälisches) Nr.16.

They were defending the Railway redoubt.

If you have chance to read through JWK's letters from Fritz LIMBACH you may come to the same conclusion. There is no definite connection but just a very high probability.

I have downloaded those diaries too - so I am looking at them with new eyes. (Headquarters 6th Infantry Brigade 2nd Division September 1915)

Shame I cant find a copy of the map they were using.

The later versions are just not the same and all of the co-ordinates are out !!

Here is the later version.

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4167

I have a folder on my desktop that I have not looked at for a while. I will see what I can find.

1 hour ago, D Barrington said:

The 2SSR war diary shows an entry of 26th Oct reporting the cross  being erected at the site by 6SPAR.

staffies.jpg.717a29a7c8da907996192d2a93b5e068.jpg

We discussed this a few years back. My reply then was:

I remember reading about this cross somewhere, but the author of the article concluded that it was hearsay. (* Found it : "VC's of the First World War", in the entry for AFG Kilby: "the existence of this cross has not been verified" )

Kilby was already a Captain by that time.

"near the Embankment on the extreme left of the line held by the Bataillon" = the Prellbock Stellung.

"6 S.P.A.R."  Fritz Limbach was killed at the Prellbock Stellung, and was 6th company.

The Regiment was named after Freiherr von Sparr.

So maybe the cross was erected by 6th Company, IR16 Freiherr von Sparr?

Pure speculation on my part though.

As for the missing R in Sparr : I'm sure the 1/KRR were not out on a butterfly-finding-mission with binoculars at the ready in full daylight, but were under severe duress, in the dark, with them Germans sensing they're there and ready to shoot them at the moment they'd let themselves known by lighting a flashlight eg , so they had to go by the light of the moon (if there was any), or it could just be a mistake in transcribing (e.g. This "VC's of the First World War" book has the inscription down as "Erected by OSPAR" ....

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/216051-germany-fritz-limbach-letters-from-the-front-1915/page/14/?tab=comments#comment-2679216

2 hours ago, JWK said:

the Prellbock Stellung.

HI JWK.

nice to hear from you.

For me I have always linked Kilby and Limbach in this incident.

There are far too many ticks in the yes column !! Remember  KING and HALL were there and are  both officially still missing - unless of course they were recovered as "known unto God".

4 hours ago, D Barrington said:

from a member of

Arthur Forbes Gordon Kilby ["Tales of the V.C. "]

The South Staffordshire Regiment Cuinchy VC

Captain A. Kilby, "C" Company 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, was awarded the V.C. for bravery, near Cuinchy on La Bassee canal, near the Aubers Ridge. This includes the story that Kilby was buried by the Germans beneath a cross inscribed "To the memory of a brave enemy". Arthur Forbes Gordon Kilby VC MC (3 February 1885 – 25 September 1915) was an English officer in the British Army during the First World War who was unusually promoted to Captain on 1 April 1910 when he was only 25. An accomplished linguist, he was fluent in Hungarian and German, and when war broke out in August 1914 he was learning Spanish. He was posted to the British Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders with the 2nd Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment during the First World War.

Kilby was 30 years old, when he performed an act for which he was awarded the VC and during which he died. He was killed in action on 25 September 1915 whilst leading his company attacking enemy positions near Cuinchy, on the Le Bassee Canal, on the first day of the Battle of Loos. Kilby's extreme heroism and gallantry during this attack was noted and he was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross on 30 March 1916.

The attached account of his actions was written by James Price Lloyd of the Welsh Regiment, who served with Military Intelligence. After the war, the government to destroyed all the archives relating to this propaganda (section MI 7b (1)). They were regarded as being too sensitive to risk being made public. Remarkably these documents have survived in the personal records of Captain Lloyd. Many of these papers are officially stamped, and one can trace the development of many individual articles from the notes based on an idea, to the pencil draft which is then followed by the hand-written submission and the typescript. The archive "Tales of the VC" comprises 94 individual accounts of the heroism that earned the highest award for valour, the Victoria Cross. These are recounted deferentially and economically, yet they still manage to move the reader.

https://www.europeana.eu/en/item/2020601/https___1914_1918_europeana_eu_contributions_5382

Whilst I know this thread is about Samuel ALLEN - you have to read about the "Rankers" before you can read about the real workers.

Edited by Martin Feledziak

On 09/10/2021 at 15:22, Martin Feledziak said:

I know it was a nightmare for those who endured that miserable war but it is a topic that has stuck in my brain and keeps nagging away.

I am fairly sure that 6SPAR is actually Infanterie-Regiment Freiherr von Sparr (3. Westfälisches) Nr.16.

They were defending the Railway redoubt.

If you have chance to read through JWK's letters from Fritz LIMBACH you may come to the same conclusion. There is no definite connection but just a very high probability.

I have downloaded those diaries too - so I am looking at them with new eyes. (Headquarters 6th Infantry Brigade 2nd Division September 1915)

Shame I cant find a copy of the map they were using.

The later versions are just not the same and all of the co-ordinates are out !!

Here is the later version.

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4167

I have a folder on my desktop that I have not looked at for a while. I will see what I can find.

Hi Martin

Many thanks. I realise that this is an old thread for some and my questions may be revisiting old discussions - my apologies.

I agree with the findings of JWK and yourself. I found the Limbach files pretty compelling and rather more credible in many ways than some the British reports. Yes, there's a few discrepancies/gaps, but given the circumstances at that time and the passage of years, I think the volume of information available is rather remarkable.

Have you any thoughts about whether or not Williams and my GGF could have been part of the Bn MG Section?

Thanks David

p.s. - its funny how this research can bring up expected connections. I was surprised to find out that Lt D M Williams was a Hereford lad, just like me!  Also, he was born in St Mary's Parish. His local church of the same name is sometimes called the SAS's church as several men from the Regiment are buried there.  

On 09/10/2021 at 16:24, JWK said:

staffies.jpg.717a29a7c8da907996192d2a93b5e068.jpg

We discussed this a few years back. My reply then was:

I remember reading about this cross somewhere, but the author of the article concluded that it was hearsay. (* Found it : "VC's of the First World War", in the entry for AFG Kilby: "the existence of this cross has not been verified" )

Kilby was already a Captain by that time.

"near the Embankment on the extreme left of the line held by the Bataillon" = the Prellbock Stellung.

"6 S.P.A.R."  Fritz Limbach was killed at the Prellbock Stellung, and was 6th company.

The Regiment was named after Freiherr von Sparr.

So maybe the cross was erected by 6th Company, IR16 Freiherr von Sparr?

Pure speculation on my part though.

As for the missing R in Sparr : I'm sure the 1/KRR were not out on a butterfly-finding-mission with binoculars at the ready in full daylight, but were under severe duress, in the dark, with them Germans sensing they're there and ready to shoot them at the moment they'd let themselves known by lighting a flashlight eg , so they had to go by the light of the moon (if there was any), or it could just be a mistake in transcribing (e.g. This "VC's of the First World War" book has the inscription down as "Erected by OSPAR" ....

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/216051-germany-fritz-limbach-letters-from-the-front-1915/page/14/?tab=comments#comment-2679216

Thank you. This is great information. I find the German accounts from the time very compelling/credible indeed. For me, the reports of events at the forward edge of the German position really help to visualise what transpired. Whereas, British reports (probably through lack of surviving witnesses) struggle to provide that level of detail. 

On 09/10/2021 at 18:36, Martin Feledziak said:

HI JWK.

nice to hear from you.

For me I have always linked Kilby and Limbach in this incident.

There are far too many ticks in the yes column !! Remember  KING and HALL were there and are  both officially still missing - unless of course they were recovered as "known unto God".

Arthur Forbes Gordon Kilby ["Tales of the V.C. "]

The South Staffordshire Regiment Cuinchy VC

Captain A. Kilby, "C" Company 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, was awarded the V.C. for bravery, near Cuinchy on La Bassee canal, near the Aubers Ridge. This includes the story that Kilby was buried by the Germans beneath a cross inscribed "To the memory of a brave enemy". Arthur Forbes Gordon Kilby VC MC (3 February 1885 – 25 September 1915) was an English officer in the British Army during the First World War who was unusually promoted to Captain on 1 April 1910 when he was only 25. An accomplished linguist, he was fluent in Hungarian and German, and when war broke out in August 1914 he was learning Spanish. He was posted to the British Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders with the 2nd Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment during the First World War.

Kilby was 30 years old, when he performed an act for which he was awarded the VC and during which he died. He was killed in action on 25 September 1915 whilst leading his company attacking enemy positions near Cuinchy, on the Le Bassee Canal, on the first day of the Battle of Loos. Kilby's extreme heroism and gallantry during this attack was noted and he was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross on 30 March 1916.

The attached account of his actions was written by James Price Lloyd of the Welsh Regiment, who served with Military Intelligence. After the war, the government to destroyed all the archives relating to this propaganda (section MI 7b (1)). They were regarded as being too sensitive to risk being made public. Remarkably these documents have survived in the personal records of Captain Lloyd. Many of these papers are officially stamped, and one can trace the development of many individual articles from the notes based on an idea, to the pencil draft which is then followed by the hand-written submission and the typescript. The archive "Tales of the VC" comprises 94 individual accounts of the heroism that earned the highest award for valour, the Victoria Cross. These are recounted deferentially and economically, yet they still manage to move the reader.

https://www.europeana.eu/en/item/2020601/https___1914_1918_europeana_eu_contributions_5382

Whilst I know this thread is about Samuel ALLEN - you have to read about the "Rankers" before you can read about the real workers.

Thanks Martin

Very interesting to see these early drafts of this book. While Capt Kilby's valour are quite clear from both British and German reports. I'm still interested in the source of the specific details in his citation. e.g. how was it known that Capt Kilby lost a foot in the attack.  My reading in this area is limited, but as yet I haven't seen that stated in any of the war diaries etc so far.  I can only assume that despite the casualties suffered that day by C Coy, of the men closely involved in the final assault, at least one did live to tell the tale.  

Best 

David