Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medicine and Healthcare in the Great War - the bibliography.

seaJane

• Michelle Young pinned this topic
3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Well done (so far...) . Thanks for the download.

Charlie

My pleasure! Honestly, I'm stopping here for a bit. I haven't been through all the possible online places, but the document does at least link to their portals.

sJ

Thanks for all your efforts. That’s going to prove very useful (and expensive!). Great work.

Thank you :).

Thank you for compiling this very useful and informative bibliography.

MB

Wow Thank you

These links are so helpful especially to us junior sleuths - great work

Thank you both. There were times when it seemed to go on forever - searching for confirmation of one reference would throw up several others - but I'm glad I did it.

Excellent, Sea Jane, thank you for all your efforts.  A great service done.

@seaJane are you aware of the WW1 medical bibliography at this link last updated in 2009:  http://www.vlib.us/medical/qmbiblio1.htm

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi @FROGSMILE,

I am indeed aware, thank you; it is a replica of that on the Gillies Archive website, last updated 2015, which I mention in the introduction, and on which I have drawn very thoroughly.

Unfortunately it has a lot of minor typos and unchecked references: for example its "JH Neal, Field ambulance organisation and administration" won't allow you to find the book in an online catalogue (still less in a card catalogue) because the actual author is JH Neil, and the spelling is  organization, as usual in the UK in the early 20th century. So the Gillies material is there, and checked for accuracy.

Edited by seaJane
typo

4 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Hi @FROGSMILE,

I am indeed aware, thank you; it is a replicate of that on the Gillies Archive website, last updated 2015, which I mention in the introduction, and on which I have drawn very thoroughly.

Unfortunately it has a lot of minor typos and unchecked references: for example its "JH Neal, Field ambulance organisation and administration" won't allow you to find the book in an online catalogue (still less in a card catalogue) because the actual author is JH Neil, and the spelling is  organization, as usual in the UK in the early 20th century. So the Gillies material is there, and checked for accuracy.

That's great SeaJane, I stumbled upon it today and did not realise that a better version existed at the Gillies Archive.  I'm glad that you already have it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Very impressive and useful document. Thanks!

Hi seaJane

I don’t  know if you have come across this site or if it would be of any interest to you or anyone else, the link below is to a website dedicated to those German nurses who died at the front or just behind the lines in administration, over 400+ documented.

https://germannursesofthegreatwar.wordpress.com

J

26 minutes ago, Knotty said:

come across this site

No, I haven't! I'll put it into Part 2: shan't post another pdf for a while, but I can keep adding new entries to the Word document in the mean time.

sJ

Edited by seaJane

Jane

Fantastic, thanks for posting this. A lot of hard work.

3 hours ago, petestarling said:

Jane

Fantastic, thanks for posting this. A lot of hard work.

Thank you, Pete. I'm sending a copy to David Vassallo at Friends of Millbank shortly.

sJ

Willis, AT. 1969.  Clostridia of Wound Infection.  Butterworths, London, 470 pp.

This is an old academic textbook and a must-have if you have a serious interest in gangrene and tetanus.  The author reviews a large amount of Great War material.  Since 1969 very little in the field has changed.  I summarized my take away and gave further refernces in the thread :"gas gangrene"

3 minutes ago, rob carman said:

Clostridia of Wound Infection.

Thank you Rob!

seaJane, Clearly a lot of your time and effort has gone into preparing this bibliography.

Congratulations and thank you very much for all your efforts I’m sure it will be extremely useful and well used by everyone.

It is very kind of you to share your research.

Thank you for those kind words 🙂.

As it is the length of a small book, I do confess I have had thoughts of turning it into an e-book and selling it online for £1 a go in order to recoup something from said time and effort ...

Added: a batch of Medical Research Council Special reports; some modern papers on the 1918 flu pandemic; some material on Eglantyne Jebb and Save the Children.

Excellent work SeaJane,

This is extremely useful. The links are helpful and I am wondering if they would work if you published your bibliography as an e-book.

I have an addition;-

An Illustrated Record of Red Cross Work in the East of Scotland

Issued by the Edinburgh Red Cross Committee

Printed by;-

T. & A. Constable, Edinburgh

Printers to His Majesty

This book has photographs of Auxilliary Hospitals between the Borders and the Tay. Also photographs and lists of medical and nursing staff.

And an update;-

Jeremy Higgins thesis on Ambulance Trains {in your bibliography} was published by Helion in 2020 as;-

Casualty Evacuation for the Somme

British Ambulance Train Provision and Operation 1914-16

Regards,

Alf McM

Reading this thread with interest has anyone highlighted the information at the Museum of The Order of Saint John, it has an online archive with many items digitally available, can't remember how I came across it, must have been a night of trawling the inter web looking for Richmond Military Hospital. Hope anyone finds it interesting...https://museumstjohn.org.uk/research/st-john-archive/

6 hours ago, alf mcm said:

An Illustrated Record of Red Cross Work in the East of Scotland

6 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Jeremy Higgins thesis on Ambulance Trains {in your bibliography} was published by Helion in 2020 as;-

Casualty Evacuation for the Somme

British Ambulance Train Provision and Operation 1914-16

Thanks! I have added the Red Cross title; the Higgins book I had noted as forthcoming, and will change that.

Edited by seaJane