Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medicine and Healthcare in the Great War - the bibliography.

seaJane

• Admin
6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

you are absolutely right about "Nursing Sister" being Kate Kuard... reading it now on archives.org and i'm having a blast!! Fantastically written!  

Well found originally and thanks for pointing out who the  "Nursing Sister" is @seaJane I just found it by accident ;-) Very pleased you are enjoying the read Marilyne, I concur, it is rather good.

• 2 months later...

@seaJane - fantastic work!  Couple of additions to consider 

1. The Vincent - Bingley commission into Medical Arrangements in Mesopotamia was published as part of the Mesopotamia Commission report as per your list, but separately in  two vols of appendices were published by the Government Central Branch Press, Simla, India.  These run to some 642 pages in vol 1 and 154 in vol 2.

2. "With the RAMC in Egypt" by "Serjeant Major", 1918 published Cassell and Co. pg 316.  

Andrew

@seaJane

"Manual of Instruction for the Royal Naval Sick Berth Staff, 1915" by G. O. M. Dickinson, Staff Surgeon, RN, published HMSO pgs 507

Andrew

Thanks! I'd be quite surprised if I missed the Sick Berth Staff manual but I will double-check, and make sure Dickinson's name is included.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi SeaJane,

I hope it is alright to post this here, but feel free to move:

Good review in the Smithsonian Magazine, 1 July 2022 of a book by Lindsey Fitzharris on Harold Gillies' pioneering work in plastic surgery:

The Facemaker: A Visionary Surgeon’s Battle to Mend the Disfigured Soldiers of World War I by Lindsey Fitzharris.  New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux 2022. (978-0374282301)

Library Hub Discover 

Summary
"From the moment the first machine gun rang out over the Western Front, one thing was clear: mankind's military technology had wildly surpassed its medical capabilities. Bodies were battered, gouged, hacked, and gassed. The First World War claimed millions of lives and left millions more wounded and disfigured. In the midst of this brutality, however, there were also those who strove to alleviate suffering. Lindsey Fitzharris's The Facemaker tells the extraordinary story of such and individual: the pioneering plastic surgeon Harold Gilles, who dedicated himself to reconstructing the burned and broken faces of the injured soldiers under his care. Gilles, a Cambridge-educated New Zealander, became interested in the nascent field of plastic surgery after encountering the human wreckage on the front. Returning to Britain, he established one of the world's first hospitals dedicated entirely to facial reconstruction. There, Gillies assembled a unique group of practitioners whose task was to rebuild what had been torn apart, to re-create what had been destroyed. At a time when losing a limb made a soldier a hero but losing a face made him a monster to society largely intolerant of disfigurement, Gillies restored not just the faces of the wounded but also their spirits. The Facemaker places Gillies's ingenious surgical innovations alongside the dramatic stories of soldiers whose lives were wrecked and repaired. The result is a vivid account of how medicine can be an art, and of what courage and imagination can accomplish in the presence of relentless horror."--Front jacket flap.

Edited by TGM

Hello seaJane,

If not already included (perhaps I missed it), there’s also Mabel St.Clair Stobart’s ‘Flaming Sword…’
https://archive.org/details/flamingswordins00stobgoog/page/n32/mode/2up?q=Antwerp

Thank you again for compiling such a useful and informative bibliography..

MB 

Thanks @TGMand @KizmeRD!

TGM - I am in contact with Lindsay Fitz elsewhere in the social media forest and have been following the progress of her book, which seems to be doing well. But you remind me that I ought actually to read it!

MG - I am going to check around in case Mabel StClair Stobart's book also appeared with a different title. 

I am a bit behind with bibliography updates, not helped by the fact that I went mad with the delete button when tidying files last week, and wiped a vital file that linked to my email system, thus causing about ten years'-worth of archived messages to disappear... :blink:

On 01/03/2023 at 00:48, seaJane said:

MG - I am going to check around in case Mabel StClair Stobart's book also appeared with a different title. 

The book came to my attention when I was researching medical care during the Siege of Antwerp. The other Auxiliary hospital involved there was the 1st British Field Hospital to Belgium. And there’s another book to bring to your attention written by one of the nurses (actually a senior FANY). The book is called A NURSE AT THE WAR - published anonymously, however clearly the author couldn’t have been other than Miss Grace Ashley-Smith (later to become Mrs McDougall).

https://archive.org/details/01120230R.nlm.nih.gov/page/n9/mode/1up

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_McDougall

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

21 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

another book

Thank you!

I'm not sure whether editing the first post sends any prompts, so this is fo let people know that I have uploaded the latest update to the top of this thread. It's now the size of a small novel ...

seaJane

• Admin
2 hours ago, seaJane said:

I'm not sure whether editing the first post sends any prompts, so this is fo let people know that I have uploaded the latest update to the top of this thread. It's now the size of a small novel ...

seaJane

No prompts sent when you edit seaJane but I was notified for this post.

Thank you for the update, it is a very handy 'novel' to have for references of a lot of books  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, seaJane said:

seaJane

Just downloaded. Wow! That’s a seriously impressive piece of work and a godsend to we book collectors. Many thanks to you.

2 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

very handy

Good! Thanks for the compliment.

15 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Just downloaded. Wow! That’s a seriously impressive piece of work and a godsend to we book collectors. Many thanks to you.

:) VMT (very many thanks) as I would have said in the office.

Version 9 took me by surprise - not so much work, but a scatter of material on anaesthetics and some more online items.

sJ

• 2 months later...

seaJane,

Another book for you;-

A new book, published by Helion last month will answer a lot of questions;-

The Fight for Life - The Medical Services in the Gallipoli Campaign 1915-16 by John Dixon and Ritchie Wood

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fight-Life-Services-Gallipoli-Campaign/dp/1804513253/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AOW4NL2AJ4J2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OC7QcakyDoqK-HARtnUG3_8f_Q3ysjz4xn2XDjmeTsLv_Gc7hQFdeJq-FQnlk_mJEUEqB_MK8jRGVhKBYexSk0lCgkVS2bFEI-OFLVkDh1VxZlZ6jci8Q1Xi1kwwqurwJxzJVV5Zolc2VOHXTLr_XFUroJQqWUrA_x22homntns2Gau8fNIiJpUb4G9kmmsxuFCEx1j9OpGY6B3zp21lfsTviNZERuvANMudNkRW16o.xCT1YqUnTQqJ5PMDJJhS8xuTTReu7ImY3l5_kDXlqKE&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+fight+for+life&qid=1712472344&s=books&sprefix=the+fight+for+life%2Cstripbooks%2C156&sr=1-1

This is an excellent book, and as well as covering British, Indian, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian medical services it also includes details of the French Service de Sante des Armees.

In addition there is a chapter written by a Turkish Author, Ahmet Senol Ozbeck entitled 'A Note on the Turkish Medical Services during the Canakkale Wars' which is extremely interesting.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
date corrected

Thanks Alf - have just picked that up and added it from the thread re: Gallipoli evacuation chains. You remind me that I am supposed to be reviewing that!

sJ

26 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

I look forward to your review!

No pressure, then ... :unsure:

Dear all,

Version 10 is now up. Additions are two annexes, one of them listing the contents of the single-volume Naval Medical History of the War and aligning it with the papers' first appearances in the Journal of the RN Medical Service.

There is also more material from the Lancet (irritatingly not open access), and additional US material especially narratives from US ambulance drivers, nurses etc. Finally I have checked for more online access links; shall always be happy to have notice when books published in or just after the war years appear in scanned versions.

Best wishes,

seaJane

20 hours ago, GreyC said:

Congrats to the update, Jane!

GreyC

Thank you!

:)