Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for his rank and a couloured version of such a uniform

Gauthier

There I see dark pipings. Probably red. Note the two-button-cuffs. Saxons.

Edited by The Prussian

Just now, The Prussian said:

The e I see dark pipings. Probably red. Not the two-button-cuffs. Saxons.

Ohh, so we're still not sure now...

The e I see dark pipings. Probably red. Not the two-button-cuffs. Saxons.

I was about to say the same.

The uniforms are totally different, the first pic shows an officer (probably Train), the second shows infantrymen.

Right.

I'd say Landwehr or Armierungstruppen. Nothing to do with the first photo.

I'm sorry but I don't really know anything about all of this...

So it's the probably some kind of train officer. Do you have any pictures of such uniforms in coulour because I couldn't really find anything online...

Unfortunately not. The painting is the only colour one I've got

Unfortunately not. The painting is the only colour one I've got

That's a shame, but I would like to thank you for your time you've really helped me along togheter with AOK4. Tomorrow I will contact my teacher again and see what he thinks of it. If you would find anything more about this please let me know.

Of course I will. It is weekend, so we will have a little time

With regards to the text it might be cut off at the bottom, but there should be more text towards the top? Also, do you mean the scan has cutt off the rest of the name? Then a new scan could be helpful to supply the full name. Even if it´s only milimeters.

As with the identification of the unit I´d go with Garde Train.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

11 hours ago, GreyC said:

With regards to the text it might be cut off at the bottom, but there should be more text towards the top? Also, do you mean the scan has cutt off the rest of the name? Then a new scan could be helpful to supply the full name. Even if it´s only milimeters.

As with the identification of the unit I´d go with Garde Train.

GreyC

It has nothing to do with the scan it's just not visible on the picture it's cut off there. And I have one small question regarding his iron cross ribbon, after some researsch I made the conclusion that this ribbon is black and white but I'm not sure. Could someone help me with that?

Hello!

The ribbon of an ICII (combatans) is black with two white stripes:

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/eisernes-kreuz-2-klasse-1914-fur-kampfer.html

For non-combatans it´s white with two black stripes:

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/eisernes-kreuz-2-klasse-1914-fur-nichtkampfer.html

3 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

thanks!

There may be a few informations on the card, that could help.

The card was written in Roulers on the 7th of June 1915. He writes that he fared well in Flanders, but that the unit would soon be transfered to an unknown location. He hopes to see the recipent of the card in Berlin AGAIN in the future. So both seem to be from Berlin (he also apologizes half-heartedly for not having written more, but says he is too busy).

So much would point in the direction of Garde-Regiment Berlin, however according to my sources the 1st Garde Division was transferred to the eastern front 20.-25.4.1915.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Just now, GreyC said:

Hi,

thanks!

There may be a few informations on the card, that could help.

The card was written in Roulers on the 7th of June 1915. He writes that he fared well in Flanders, but that the unit would soon be transfered to an unknown location. He hopes to see the recipent of the card in Berlin AGAIN in the future. So both seem to be from Berlin (he also apologizes half-heartedly for not having written more, but says he is too busy).

So much does point in the direction of Garde-Regiment Berlin.

GreyC

Thanks for your fast reply and translation. Now I only need a couloured picture of such garde uniform. But I think that will be difficult or almost impossible to find...

Hello!

Unfortunately I can´t read his name. It´s really possible that we have the Garde-Train-Abteilung in Berlin.

Any ideas of the first letter of his last name?

2 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Unfortunately I can´t read his name. It´s really possible that we have the Garde-Train-Abteilung in Berlin.

Any ideas of the first letter of his last name?

I'm not sure but I thought his initials were H L.

7 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Please note my just added caveat!

GreyC

So the 1st Garde division allready left Roulers in april so he can't be part of them because he still was in Roulers in june. Or am I wrong? 

Hello,

Train units and Train officers are not necessarily connected to any front line unit.

And anyway, he may have been from XXII Reservekorps (which was also a unit raised by the Guard). They left Flanders around June1915.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

According to his last name, I´d say, the name begins with L, S or F.

We (GreyC and I) found an Oberleutnant of the Reserve LOESCHKE from Garde-Train-Abteilung in the ranklist 1914.

If he was drafted for war, he could have become Hauptmann (in mounted troops were called "Rittmeister"). But I don´t have any further information about him. He was listed in Hirschberg (Silesia).

Could the name fit?

Edited by The Prussian

7 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

I found an Oberleutnant of the Reserve LOESCHKE from Garde-Train-Abteilung in the ranklist 1914.

If he was drafted for war, he could have become Hauptmann (at Train called "Rittmeister"). But I don´t have any further information about him. He was listed in Hirschberg (Silesia).

Could the name fit?

I would say that is very well possible! :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

I found an Oberleutnant of the Reserve LOESCHKE from Garde-Train-Abteilung in the ranklist 1914.

If he was drafted for war, he could have become Hauptmann (at Train called "Rittmeister"). But I don´t have any further information about him. He was listed in Hirschberg (Silesia).

Could the name fit?

That's a very good lead thank you for your research. Tomorrow I will see my history teacher in school. I'm going to show him this and ask what he thinks of it.

His first entry in the ranklists was Leutnant of the Reserve in 1905. That means he was a one-year-volunteer in 1904, became Lt. of the Reserve in 1905.

So he probably was born around 1884, so he could be around 30 years old in 1914. That could fit!

His ranklist entries:

1905: Lt.d.R. registered in Berlin

1906: Lt.d.R. registered in Cottbus

1907: Lt.d.R. registered in Cottbus

1908: Lt.d.R. registered in Cottbus

1909: Lt.d.R. registered in Cottbus

1910: Lt.d.R. registered in Berlin

1911: Lt.d.R. registered in Berlin

1912: Lt.d.R. registered in Hirschberg

1913: Lt.d.R. registered in Hirschberg (with Landwehr Service Award 2nd class)

1914: Oberleutnant d.R. registered in Hirschberg

Here is the mentioned Landwehr-Service Award 2nd class. The first one was worn until July 1913. He probably will have changed it into the medal, worn since July 1913. It was not strange, that he didn´t wear it in the field, because with this medal everyone could see, that was "only" a Reserve" or "Landwehr-officer"...

747237652_OEK1978Ldw_DA2_Kl.1842-1913(1).JPG.a9906bcc59ffc7dea69dac698c32fab6.JPG

786553282_OEK1979Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung2_Kl.1913(2).jpg.b17800f57e01745a3e43f0d22143d05d.jpg

1111080998_OEK1979Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung2_Kl.1913(1).jpg.f50c41ffd005ef760f2cc2ec8f9c5f1e.jpg