Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for his rank and a couloured version of such a uniform

Gauthier

Hello

I'm a Belgian 18 year old student from Passchendaele. With our class and teacher we're making a small book about the German soldiers in Roeselare in WW1. For this book we're coulouring photos so we need to know how the uniforms and stuff looks. I had to look up wich rank this soldier has and look for a couloured version of such a uniform and also the little stick he's holding ( I don't know what it's called. But after looking for a long time I didn't find anything or nothing usefull so I thought I'll try it overhere.

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Gauthier

1293920591_4058ReifMulier-basis.jpg.8f68d26afd4d6f96b9c51ab67384145d.jpg

Dont know if this colorization attempt will be of any use to you but thought I would try this program to see how this Officer turned out -

1281076654_Hotpot(2).png.ab4bace8557890fa9a725ef6ac7d56b3.png

The stick he is holding appears to be a riding crop.

Thank you for fast reply I've found a couloured picture of such a riding crop. I still need his rank and preferably a couloured picture of such a uniform but an original picture not a couloured one by a program because we've allready couloured about 30 pictures with photoshop ourself and now we just need the correct coulours to make it perfect.

The best advisers would be @The Prussianand perhaps @GreyC amongst others.  I’m sure they’ll be along soon with expert advice on the uniform of the soldier shown. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

The best advisers would be @The Prussianand perhaps @GreyC amongst others.  I’m sure they’ll be along soon with expert advice on the uniform of the soldier shown. 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Just now, Gauthier said:

Thanks for your help in advance.

I’m glad to help, there’s also @AOK4who will be able to advise.  All these names could answer many questions regarding your school project.  Good luck Gauthier.

My goodness NO, the uniform should be fieldgray. The colours of the Litzen, the piping and the cockades are dependant of the unit to which the man belonged.

Hello!

I´d say, 1.Garde-Rgt.z.F., but I miss the pipings down the buttons and the red cuff-pipings...

Maybe a kind of official?

2 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

I´d say, 1.Garde-Rgt.z.F., but I miss the pipings down the buttons and the red cuff-pipings...

Maybe a kind of official?

Roeselare had plenty of staff officers and rear area officers (Train).

Yes, but Train had a blue base under the white collar Litzen. Here it seems to be white

46 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Yes, but Train had a blue base under the white collar Litzen. Here it seems to be white

It's dangerous to draw conclusions from black and white pictures. Some dark colours turn very pale in B&W and vice versa. It has to do with some of the chemistry, I understand. Yellow usually looks quite dark in B&W pics.

Yes. Yellow. But please have a look at the cuff piping. That's not red. And what about the missing front piping? Maybe we can have some close-ups?

Just now, The Prussian said:

Yes. Yellow. But please have a look at the cuff piping. That's not red. And what about the missing front piping? Maybe we can have some close-ups?

I just mentioned yellow as an example of colours looking very strange in B&W (I believe blue then seems very bright IIRC). Without a name and/or unit of the man in the picture, it is all just guessing.

And what do you think about the "missing" front piping?

7 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

And what do you think about the "missing" front piping?

I think it's not really visible on the pic, but it should be there.

Thank you for all the help already. I've asked my teacher for more details about the picture and he said the text was dated to june 7th 1915 and it said they we're planning to leave Roeselare. I hope this will help you guys. In the pictures you can more clearly see the details and also a small text 'verbleibe ich mit den herzlichsten Grüßen Ihr H L... [?]’

4058_1.jpg.8eb7912419843f41222c1205acc99ad2.jpg

4058_2.jpg.196ddf2f2b541e86fde826c0f1b8c385.jpg

4058_3.jpg.a41fcce6814b037a22c4dfe77f89a106.jpg

Hello!

Thanks a lot. Now the collar patchtes could be light-blue. Probably Train, as Ja said?

It would be better so see the entire text...

Hello!

Thanks a lot. Now the collar patchtes could be light-blue. Probably Train, as Ja said?

It would be better so see the entire text...

I know but it was partly cut off... So I wont be able to help you with that...

Ah, ok. But it´s still strange. Anyway, he should have pipings along the buttons. Train had red piping.

His rank is Captain.

Edited by The Prussian

7 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Ah, ok. But it´s still strange. Anyway, he should have pipings along the buttons. Train had red piping.

I don't know anything about these uniforms but couldn't it just be the angle in wich the photo was taken so you can't see the red?

Have a look here. There 2nd from right is a Garde-Train-Officer

43343845_Screenshot(252).jpg.1867dbf42682ae062b9e40e2a5e23271.jpg

Have a look here. There 2nd from right is a Garde-Train-Officer

Screenshot (252).jpg

Wow, that looks really similar. But if it isn't a Garde-Train-Officer, what else could it be?

That's a good question...

I'm stil puzzled with the front piping. We should see a red one... But I can't recognize anything...

Edited by The Prussian

3 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

That's a good question...

I'm Stil puzzled with the front piping. We should see a red one... But I can't recognize anything...

After looking at the other pictures my teacher has in his collection I didn't see any red piping, I mean I know it should be there with the normal German uniforms but in these black and white photos you can't see it clearly.

Could you please show an example?