Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are you doing on 11th November??

Marilyne

Hi all, 

I guess it's a bit the big question... over the last years, 11th November has always been a day at which one goes out to attend a ceremony, pay one's respect, in any form... the best year for me was 2018, in Edinburgh at the military parade and even last year, as I was on duty at OVG Coordination Cell, I found a moment to visit the two CWGC graves in Peutie cemetery. 

But this year it seems we won't get very much further than our doorstep, with Corona still raging and new measures coming up probably this WE here in Belgium. I wonder if we'll even be able to visit the in-laws this WE (from afar of course)

So I wonder... what will the Pals do this year???? 

M.

• Admin

I'm working a late shift so I will have a quiet moment on my commute. 

Hopefully I'll be attending a very small commemoration with a group of friends from the Salonika Campaign Society, and maybe in the afternoon visiting the grave near my home of a man awaiting acceptance for official recognition as a war casualty by the MOD.

If the rules change again, then I'll just visit the man awaiting recognition, and a few other of the 500+ CWGC graves in the same cemetery.

I hope to be attending a small socially distanced wreath laying ceremony at Greenbank cemetery in Bristol. 

I think the most attendee's we have ever had is under twenty.

I'm fortunate that I can do what we always do on the 11th of the 11th at 11am. I'll be visiting my uncle Jim Mann, my dad's best friend Glyn Evans and my great uncle Herbert Jones in Bootle cemetery. Herbert died in 1918 having been repatriated from Germany where he spent three and a half years interned in Rhuleben. His merchant ship was in Hamburg on 4th August 1914 as ill luck would have it. Jim died on 5th November 1943 at an American airbase in Norfolk where his Lancaster of 61 Squadron had crash landed. His pilot, Bill Reid was awarded the VC for his feat of bombing his target in Dusseldorf and getting the crew back despite being shot up by night fighters on the way out and the way back, and being badly wounded in both attacks. When asked why he didn't turn back after the first attack he said he didn't fancy being the only Lancaster going the other way with nearly a thousand coming towards him. Glyn was killed in a flying accident in April 1944, most likely while practicing glider towing with 295 Squadron in preparation for D-Day. Glyn and Jim are buried side by side, and Uncle Herbert close by in the family plot.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

Thankfully we'll be out of our lockdown here in Wales - I would be interested to know if remembering the war dead would be deemed an essential reason to leave the house. 

I shall do what I always do and be at the beach, probably Freshwater West this year - the hounds always need walking and my claim would be exercise. Sunday will be at a local war memorial where I shall be the only one.

Jon

Would normally be in Belgium, parade, church service, remembrance at the village war memorial and then march to the British cemetery and carrying the Union flag. Also visiting an uncle's grave just outside Ypres.

Not on this year of course so a short stroll to the local war memorial.

What will be actually happening at the Cenotaph?

Tony

Apparently a very much scaled down commemoration - details on the RBL site IIRC.

9 minutes ago, KIRKY said:

What will be actually happening at the Cenotaph?

Tony

There is usually a short ceremony and silence at 1100. I imagine that this year it will be minimalist, if it happens at all.

normally would be touring around a few French cemeteries, but the house should be sold by then . That said, we still have tickets for Eurotunel and Ive got the week booked off so who knows!!

At home isolating as my wife has undergone 2x lots of brain surgery but my thoughts will be at the menin gate 

Remembering all the men and women who served during the Great War. 

The route to my local Co-op takes me straight past our local war memorial so, even though England may be in lockdown, shopping for food ought still to be permitted. I will give something like an "eyes left" and pause, as I go past.

Ron

Instead of being in Ypres for the first time on the 11th.  I thought I would go back to the town of my birth and see the name of a relative on the memorial there.  

I think I will taken a walk around my local cemetery, as it will count towards my daily exercise and I could do some shopping on the way home. 

It's so heartwarming to read all these contribution. The men and women will not be forgotten, that's for sure !

Keep it coming!! 

M;

31 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

It's so heartwarming to read all these contribution. The men and women will not be forgotten, that's for sure !

Keep it coming!! 

M;

Marilyne, if by any chance on or around the 11th you happen to be in any GW related locations and could take and post a photo or 2 I'm sure many of us here would be very grateful. (But please don't worry if you can't).

16 hours ago, derekb said:

I will be standing in the garden contemplating.

I remember one year on the 11th, going to the "Pals" barracks in Prescot for 11 o'clock.

17 hours ago, derekb said:

I will be standing in the garden contemplating.

The new guidance says that "You must not leave or be outside of (my italics) your home except for specific purposes" (followed by list; childcare, work, exercise, medical, shopping.) Make of that what you will...maybe you'd better run on the spot while you are contemplating.

Edited by sassenach

Hello!

In Germany  we don´t celebrate it as an official free day. The armistice sometimes will be mentioned in the news, that´s all.

Here in the Rhine-Area it´s the beginning of the carnival-season. But because of Corona there will be nothing. It´s a simple wednesday, so unfortunately I have to go to work

Just this morning heard via WhatsAp that there will be a small gathering at our local CWGC cemetery: max 20 people as per local regs (no names – no pack drill)

Fingers crossed that all goes according to plan