Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are you doing on 11th November??

Marilyne

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

The new guidance says that "You must not leave or be outside of (my italics) your home except for specific purposes" (followed by list; childcare, work, exercise, medical, shopping.) Make of that what you will...maybe you'd better run on the spot while you are contemplating.

I believe my garden is part of my home.

My exercise regularly takes me through a cemetery with over 500 war graves about a kilometre from my home, so I shall pause for breath for a few moments at a small cluster of them at 11.00 am , and maybe plant a couple of poppy crosses.

On 01/11/2020 at 13:01, sassenach said:

Marilyne, if by any chance on or around the 11th you happen to be in any GW related locations and could take and post a photo or 2 I'm sure many of us here would be very grateful. (But please don't worry if you can't).

I'll try... not so many Great War related places in my neck of the woods... 

M.

All our organised remembrance services have been cancelled here In Sweden due to a recent change in the Covid rules.  So I will get suited and booted as normal and have a dutiful 2 minute silence on my own followed by a few glasses of Port to toast absent friends and remember those who have given all for our country. 'Lest We Forget'

Weather permitting 

I will be somewhere in the North Sea fishing 

my thoughts will be with all the mariners who perished in the Great War

6 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

I will be somewhere in the North Sea fishing 

Exercise or essential travel?...

Edited by sassenach

Poppy the dog and I have been walking a 40 mile circuit of the local war memorials for the 11/11 Poppy Appeal Challenge and are due back at the town memorial on 11th. Wherever we are at 11am we’ll be stopping for two minutes and thinking of all those who never came back to this beautiful part of the country. 

Where I live in Mildenhall there is a redundant cemetery with a solitary C W G C grave of a local lad who immigrated to Canada just before the outbreak of ww.1. He joined the Canadian Army went to Europe to fight, and at some point came back to blighty and succumbed to the Spanish Flu. I will pay him a visit and say a few words and place a poppy.

Regards

Andy

11 November is the date chosen, for obvious reasons, to be the official publication date for my grandad’s WW1 diary A Lancashire Fusilier’s First World War – not that I was planning any kind of official launch party, luckily. I shall just be doing what I would have done anyway, quietly raising a glass to my grandad, hoping that he would have approved of what I have done with his book, and thinking especially - as he would have done - of the men whom he mentions who did not survive.

26 minutes ago, A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy said:

11 November is the date chosen, for obvious reasons, to be the official publication date for my grandad’s WW1 diary A Lancashire Fusilier’s First World War – not that I was planning any kind of official launch party, luckily. I shall just be doing what I would have done anyway, quietly raising a glass to my grandad, hoping that he would have approved of what I have done with his book, and thinking especially - as he would have done - of the men whom he mentions who did not survive.

It seems that there will after all be a ceremony at the Menin Gate (without spectators) on Wednesday morning. It will be live streamed on the Last Post Association Facebook page at 1100.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

It seems that there will after all be a ceremony at the Menin Gate (without spectators) on Wednesday morning. It will be live streamed on the Last Post Association Facebook page at 1100.

good to know !! We'll watch it!

Hi Marilyne,

I am very lucky to be in Scotland and have a cemetery nearby which has a CWGC plot cotaining 131 casualties and which I am able to visit. I'm also retired which means I can visit pretty much anytime I want. It's my special place, which I have visited for years, but I seem drawn to it more and more during the pandemic. I'll be there at 11.00 am on the 11th, probably alone (which might actually make the moment more meaningful) and I'll remember them all. Seeing as you've sent me so many photos from France and Belgium Marilyne I'll maybe send you some from a cemetery in Scotland. 

Stay safe in Belgium Marilyne and stay safe everyone else, wherever you are.

Dave

We Will Remember Them 

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Marilyne I'll maybe send you some from a cemetery in Scotland. 

Hi. 

That would be nice!! 

Boyfriend and me are both fans of Scotland ! 

He even decided to wear his Scottish poppy today on his uniform... will have some explaining to do to his completely clueless colleagues, but so be it !!

Stay Safe!! 

M;

We just watched the Ypres ceremony on the live stream. Nice, short, but still impressive. 

We have a guy in the neighbor village who often decorates his garden. He made a little remembrance garden out of it this week. Nice touch! 

Boyfriend and I will have a drink tonight and toast to all Tommies, Poilus, Jasses, Piotten, Doughboys and Kameraden ... got a nice bottle from the Cambrai Tank Memorial waiting for that. 

Lest We Forget!! 

M.

20201109_164003.jpg.7593fb35573e5c60ac97d0e6ea88b753.jpg

20201109_164107.jpg.67defab1d7adbd13ce2514742aa9bd7c.jpg

From the scrapbook of an officer of 1/KRRC who attended the service 100 years ago on 11 November 1920 ...

DSC01209.JPG.5622dbdee21f2a3074db85568beecdfd.JPG

DSC01210.JPG.651dd9eb9644772c22b455d8b55a9c79.JPG

We will remember them

:poppy:

Mark

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

We just watched the Ypres ceremony on the live stream. Nice, short, but still impressive. 

We have a guy in the neighbor village who often decorates his garden. He made a little remembrance garden out of it this week. Nice touch! 

Boyfriend and I will have a drink tonight and toast to all Tommies, Poilus, Jasses, Piotten, Doughboys and Kameraden ... got a nice bottle from the Cambrai Tank Memorial waiting for that. 

Lest We Forget!! 

M.

20201109_164003.jpg.7593fb35573e5c60ac97d0e6ea88b753.jpg

20201109_164107.jpg.67defab1d7adbd13ce2514742aa9bd7c.jpg

Did you notice that the chap saying the Exhortation was facing the wrong way?

That chap is our prime minister... 

He's new... 

Spent 11am sat at my desk at work thinking about a couple of relatives I never met and wish I could have.  The commercial radio station I'd put on this morning had announced that they were doing 2 minutes of silence, and they did!  Then it faded up into 'Tears in Heaven'.  After that, back to working in a socially-distanced office.

Thought I might just try to remember my password for this place over lunch...

31 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

That chap is our prime minister... 

He's new... 

Ah, I see. Not many of us here recognise most of our own politicians, never mind Belgian ones! I still think he was facing the "wrong" way; maybe there's a reason.

2 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Made an online donation to the Royal British Legion, quick and easy.

That reminds me......yep, quick and easy.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Frajohn said:

Jennie and I had a small (just the two of us) ceremony at London Cemetery this morning.

Small but select I think. Good photo as ever John, it looks like the weather was similar to our small ceremony too. Hope all is well in downtown Martinpuich.

Pete.