Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody help identify this Regiment

chids

9 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

And he was in the 5th Seaforth, so a Government sett would be right.

Never thought of that....how right you are!

Not having visited this thread before, I had just read through from the very beginning so the MIC mentioning 5th Seaforth was fresh in the memory!

16 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Well spotted Steven, I missed that.

19 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The kilt looks more like the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) to me.  The Seaforth had Mackenzie kilts that have a distinctive white over check that’s not visible in this photo.

“The 5th battalion also kept the same tartan as the old 93rd Sutherland Highlanders which was adopted by the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in 1881, rather than the "Mackenzie" tartan worn by the other Seaforth battalions.” 

Thanks everyone for your observations and help, I hadn’t seen the Corporal Stripes myself until it was mentioned here! So this confirms Seaforth is indeed correct and this ties up everything nicely. 

14 hours ago, Myrtle said:

There was a Pte. W. Wootton a baker from Mansell Gamage listed under Hereford Regiment - Derby Men in the 25th March 1916 Hereford Times, although the cap badge is not Herefordshire Regiment.  As you probably know Mansell Gamage and Byford are in close proximity to each other. 

thanks Myrtle, this chap is a cousin of the other William. I have 6 men of the same family who all went to far and confusingly two are named William and two named Thomas.

i have tried the newspaper archives for the Wootton’s on FMP but I couldn’t find any entries on there, did you use the BN Archives or are the Hereford Times available elsewhere? Thanks 

4 minutes ago, chids said:

thanks Myrtle, this chap is a cousin of the other William. I have 6 men of the same family who all went to far and confusingly two are named William and two named Thomas.

i have tried the newspaper archives for the Wootton’s on FMP but I couldn’t find any entries on there, did you use the BN Archives or are the Hereford Times available elsewhere? Thanks 

I wondered if it was a different William. Some years back I photographed most of the WW1 articles in the Hereford Times at the library every time I passed through the city. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish the task as I was told that the library had been informed that the volumes were the only ones in the country and had to be sent to be copied !  Every time I asked if the originals had been returned they said that they hadn’t. If you find that they are now available please let me know. 

5 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

......... spot on Steven ......... Sutherland sett, slightly more akin to A&SH, but certainly a Government sett variation and not at all dissimilar to BW.   

Edited by TullochArd

29 minutes ago, Myrtle said:

I wondered if it was a different William. Some years back I photographed most of the WW1 articles in the Hereford Times at the library every time I passed through the city. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish the task as I was told that the library had been informed that the volumes were the only ones in the country and had to be sent to be copied !  Every time I asked if the originals had been returned they said that they hadn’t. If you find that they are now available please let me know. 

It’s frustrating because I have a large number of my family that would have certainly featured in the Hereford Times, hopefully they will appear online one day, I might ask a few questions, if I find out anything I will let you know 

24 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

......... spot on Steven ......... Sutherland sett, slightly more akin to A&SH, but certainly a Government sett variation and not at all dissimilar to BW.   

I think it was your spot on the IWM website originally that first alerted us to the fact that this could be the right man, so appreciate your help 

32 minutes ago, chids said:

It’s frustrating because I have a large number of my family that would have certainly featured in the Hereford Times, hopefully they will appear online one day, I might ask a few questions, if I find out anything I will let you know 

Send me their names and the places they lived and I will have a look to see if they appear in the HT. It also narrows down the search if you know which year they joined up. 

4 hours ago, Myrtle said:

“The 5th battalion also kept the same tartan as the old 93rd Sutherland Highlanders which was adopted by the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in 1881, rather than the "Mackenzie" tartan worn by the other Seaforth battalions.” 

Yes, I’m aware of those details, as Steven commented, it was so far back in the thread that I’d forgotten the 5th Battalion was the unit concerned.  The tartan concerned is Government No1a.  The Black Watch original is hence Government No1 and the parent of most military tartans less of course the Cameron’s.  The difference between the two seems to be confined to a brighter, less sober shade for the No1a.

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, I’m aware of those details, as Steven commented, it was so far back in the thread that I’d forgotten the 5th Battalion was the unit concerned.  The tartan concerned is Government No1a.  The Black Watch original is hence Government No1 and the parent of most military tartans less of course the Cameron’s.  The difference between the two seems to be confined to a brighter, less sober shade for the No1.

Teaching grandmother to suck eggscomes to mind. Thank you for the additional information. 

59 minutes ago, Myrtle said:

Send me their names and the places they lived and I will have a look to see if they appear in the HT. It also narrows down the search if you know which year they joined up. 

will do I am mobile at the moment but will get your the names regiments numbers etc and message you, thank you for the kind offer 

26 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, I’m aware of those details, as Steven commented, it was so far back in the thread that I’d forgotten the 5th Battalion was the unit concerned.  The tartan concerned is Government No1a.  The Black Watch original is hence Government No1 and the parent of most military tartans less of course the Cameron’s.  The difference between the two seems to be confined to a brighter, less sober shade for the No1.

The amount of detail that you guys have never ceases to amaze me, this forum and the people on it are so knowledgeable and helpful. I do really enjoy researching WW1 soldiers but without the help on here I would be struggling. 

Can I chuck a spaniel in the works? Looking at the initial photo, I wondered about Shropshire Yeomanry. That regiment recruited in Herefordshire (C Squadron had a Drill Station in Hereford, and others were at places which I think were in that county). On the basis that we do like to throw things up in the air and see where they fall, this is just a thought. Might he have initially joined the local donkey-wallopers and transferred out before proceeding overseas?

Happy to be entirely wrong, though.

Shropshire Yeo.jpg

7 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I will add to the accolades for Steven on this.  The 5th Seaforth can be seen in some instances wearing the double belled Seafoth flashes and other times in standard flashes.

1900436109_5SHofficerc1914.jpg.d107118ed6db1c85c1341fdda8727a5d.jpg253002271_5SHPteGeoMacKayFtGeorge1915.jpg.0ac7d409c652189a13370c69e012b754.jpg

Edited by gordon92

8 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Can I chuck a spaniel in the works? Looking at the initial photo, I wondered about Shropshire Yeomanry. That regiment recruited in Herefordshire (C Squadron had a Drill Station in Hereford, and others were at places which I think were in that county). On the basis that we do like to throw things up in the air and see where they fall, this is just a thought. Might he have initially joined the local donkey-wallopers and transferred out before proceeding overseas?

Happy to be entirely wrong, though.

Shropshire Yeo.jpg

thanks Steven, I bow to everyone’s expertise on here, the only thing I have to contradict that is the oral testimony from my Great Aunt regarding the photo she states that on the reverse it mentions army veterinary corp and seaforth highlanders 

53 minutes ago, chids said:

thanks Steven, I bow to everyone’s expertise on here, the only thing I have to contradict that is the oral testimony from my Great Aunt regarding the photo she states that on the reverse it mentions army veterinary corp and seaforth highlanders 

You can be confident in this particular case on the weight of the previous scrutiny that in the first photo you posted he’s wearing the badge of the AVC and of course your family photos have now borne that out.

19 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

You can be confident in this particular case on the weight of the previous scrutiny that in the first photo you posted he’s wearing the badge of the AVC and of course your family photos have now borne that out.

Thanks again for your help with this it’s very much appreciated