Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody help identify this Regiment

chids

I have a photograph of a WW1 soldier, William Wootton born in Byford Herefordshire in 1894. Is anybody able to identify his Regiment from the photo please? Thanks 

732F0F26-1130-43F5-AB6F-3D348B23461C.jpeg

Edited by chids

It looks like a Hertfordshire regiment cap badge to me.

He's wearing spurs so would be part of the transport section.

Craig

Thanks Craig, is it possible it could be the Herefordshire Regiment, I’m only saying that because he was from that county 

• Admin

Looks like a cavalry/yeomanry badge to me.

Michelle 

1 hour ago, chids said:

Thanks Craig, is it possible it could be the Herefordshire Regiment, I’m only saying that because he was from that county 

I think Craig will say 'No'.

I don't think it's Hertfordshire either.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Michelle are the boots an indication of a cavalry Regiment?

10 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I think Craig will say 'No'.

I don't think it's Hertfordshire either.

It was just a guess as that’s his home county 

15 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Looks like a cavalry/yeomanry badge to me.

Michelle 

Are the boots an indication of a cavalry regiment?

• Admin

He's wearing spurs, so a mounted soldier. 

Thanks Michelle much appreciated helps narrow it down a bit 

I think it could be the Queen’s Own Worcestershire Hussars Yeomanry, from the next County over, East of Herefordshire.

CB088F2B-5652-4AF2-828E-138F2716E6D1.jpeg

09A4A8AF-D83B-4F87-970F-DEEB4F306CFF.jpeg

98A74DE7-A27F-4EEE-A5C1-37B3816CF7A7.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Army Veterinary Corps in my opinion.   Pete.

For what it’s worth that was my thought too......

6 minutes ago, SteveE said:

......and me too.  There's a good story on William Wootton AVC on IWM Lives which fills a few gaps.  It appears he ended up in the London Regiment in 1918 ..... and then the Seaforth Highlanders.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/4881219

Edited by TullochArd

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions, lots for me to have a look at and see if I can narrow it down, will certainly check out the IWM link to see if I can cross reference that into the details that I have, really appreciate your help

3 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Army Veterinary Corps in my opinion.   Pete.

2 hours ago, SteveE said:

2 hours ago, TullochArd said:

......and me too.  There's a good story on William Wootton AVC on IWM Lives which fills a few gaps.  It appears he ended up in the London Regiment in 1918 ..... and then the Seaforth Highlanders.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/4881219

And my thought too:

BEF - Cap Badge - (British) Army Veterinary Corps. Comparable to the CEF  Canadian Veterinary Corps cap badge. WW1. | Badge, Insignia, British army

Thanks Andrew, currently struggling to find a suitable candidate yet on ancestry or FMP, but his record of course might have not survived

There are two 'William Wootton' on FMP with AVC service but no further details as to age or origins.

1.  66, S/43639, 298097. Army Veterinary Corps, 2/4 London Regiment, Seaforth Highlanders

This man seems to have started off 1/1st South Midland Mobile Veterinary Section which might be in the right kneck of the woods ?

2.  Se/3435

Edited by charlie962

Hi Charlie,

Thanks I am currently compiling a shortlist and those two are on my short list of possibles, the first one is the same one mentioned in the IWM link above. I have looked at both but have been unable to find a connection to the William I am looking for, but it could be either 

1 hour ago, Andrew Upton said:

And my thought too:

Yes, I agree it’s a very good match, and fits better with the circular shape of the badge than the Worcestershire Yeomanry.  I think you’ve all cracked it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 25/10/2020 at 22:09, charlie962 said:

There are two 'William Wootton' on FMP with AVC service but no further details as to age or origins.

1.  66, S/43639, 298097. Army Veterinary Corps, 2/4 London Regiment, Seaforth Highlanders

This man seems to have started off 1/1st South Midland Mobile Veterinary Section which might be in the right kneck of the woods ?

2.  Se/3435

Instinct tells me that this is the man, but I cant categorically prove it, the Medal Cards survive for this Man, but sadly not his service records.

My William Wootton survives the War definitely and lives until 1971. I am currently trawling newspapers in case there is a mention of him there.

Is there any indication in the picture that the William in the picture is a Corporal?

The reason I am asking is the chap mentioned above was a Corporal.

1.  66, S/43639, 298097. Army Veterinary Corps, 2/4 London Regiment, Seaforth Highlanders

This man seems to have started off 1/1st South Midland Mobile Veterinary Section which might be in the right kneck of the woods ?

55 minutes ago, chids said:

Is there any indication in the picture that the William in the picture is a Corporal?

The reason I am asking is the chap mentioned above was a Corporal.

1.  66, S/43639, 298097. Army Veterinary Corps, 2/4 London Regiment, Seaforth Highlanders

This man seems to have started off 1/1st South Midland Mobile Veterinary Section which might be in the right kneck of the woods ?

He’s not a Corporal in the AVC photo.

South Midlands makes sense.

South Midlands definitely makes sense, right area, somebody also suggested possibly the City of London Yeomanry, as the badge? the trouble is the image is not sharp enough and there are just so many combinations of William Wootton's

Just now, chids said:

South Midlands definitely makes sense, right area, somebody also suggested possibly the City of London Yeomanry, as the badge? the trouble is the image is not sharp enough and there are just so many combinations of William Wootton's

Definitely not the City of London Yeomanry, although the shape was indeed similar.  Their badge was absolutely huge by comparison.

Brilliant thanks Frogsmile! 

Instinct tells me its the guy mentioned above and the South Midlands connection, ill keep plugging away see if I can find out anything else