Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Autochromes

gmac101

For those of you who may may not know it was possible to take colour photographs during world war 1 - the most common process was called "Autochrome" and used dyed potatoe starch to "store" the colour information.  A gentleman who calls himself Babelcolour tweets restored versions of these photographs  here ;  Not all are WW1 but many are, mostly French.  The remainder pre and post date WW1 and capture that world in a way that black and white or colourized photographs don't - not sure why though

Marvellous.

I think I've posted links about Autochrome in the past, the Lumiere brothers and Albert Kahn.

But the restoration work by Babel takes it to another level.

They are very evocative and he is very skilled.  This is a particular beauty - taken in 1911 by Lionel de Rothschild at Tidworth - I wonder if the men are identifiable?  Did they survive 1914?

4 minutes ago, gmac101 said:

They are very evocative and he is very skilled.  This is a particular beauty - taken in 1911 by Lionel de Rothschild at Tidworth - I wonder if the men are identifiable?  Did they survive 1914?

Incredible!

(PS. Something not quite right with your thumbnail that looks a bit like a 'broken link' icon).

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Literally awesome. I rarely use that word.

Anyone able to ID the medals? :blink:

Dave

P.S. we are possibly heading for skindles here... 

Edited by depaor01

I'm seeing slight blue? edges to the ribbon. Perhaps more like a DSO complete with the two laurel leaf gilt bars top and bottom of ribbon?

TEW

I think that the fellow at centre is a member of the Queen’s Own Oxfordshire Hussars Yeomanry, and quite possibly the Duke of Marlborough himself.  He often held annual trainings camps and regimental regattas in his grounds at Blenheim Palace.

Afternote:  No it’s not that regiment.  I will report back...,

Edited by FROGSMILE

Chap on the right - Field Officer of the 2nd Life Guards in review order?  Double red stripe on the overalls, certainly suggests the 2nd. Possibly even their C.O,  1905 /07  Francis Grenfell, 1st Baron Grenfell.  Certainly senior, as he's seen a bit of service, considering the medal he's sporting. 

The Officer of Scots Guards,   I think the medal is the D.S.O.  Just incorrectly / incompletely colourised? I can't make out the final medal ribbon.  

The portly cove, in the middle,  I think I can see a volunteer Officer's Medal   So a Yeomanry Officer.  

Scots Guards Officer wearing DSO, think 2nd medal is QSA.

Love the photos!

8 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Chap on the right - Field Officer of the 2nd Life Guards in review order?  Double red stripe on the overalls, certainly suggests the 2nd. Possibly even their C.O,  1905 /07  Francis Grenfell, 1st Baron Grenfell.  Certainly senior, as he's seen a bit of service, considering the medal he's sporting. 

Might that Field Officer also have the DSO?  Its pretty difficult to make out, certainly the ribbon, but it appears to be a white enamelled cross.

52 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Might that Field Officer also have the DSO?  Its pretty difficult to make out, certainly the ribbon, but it appears to be a white enamelled cross.

Certainly, if it is.  It's not Francis Grenfell,  he had to make do with the Bath and GCMG.  I should have said also, in the interests of accuracy,  he's in dismounted review order.  Good spot with the QSA, though.

Edited by Gunner Hall

On 23/09/2020 at 19:26, gmac101 said:

The venue is the annual yeomanry training camp at Sling, near Bulford, in 1909.  Officers, left to right are Scots Guards, Royal Bucks Hussars Yeomanry, and 2nd Life Guards.  It’s very likely the day that Lord Haldane, the Secretary of State for War, carried out his visit, as he was accompanied by officers of Horse and Foot Guards from London.

The senior Officer in your photo (probably the Regimental Colonel - an honorary position) can be seen in the black and white photo below at far left, just commencing his inspection of the front rank.

D16309A8-6245-47A6-BCEF-70A481DD2011.jpeg

2B36C9D7-F6CE-4FCD-BCFE-2635CD557E1C.png

9B107CFE-25C7-48C0-BF93-457D1600318A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

In Frogsmiles last photograph,  a Guards Officer very like that in the last autochrome,  is striding past a small dog.   The same man?

So,  the Bucks Hussar is likely to be one of the officers listed with the Territorial Decoration "T.D" in gmac101's lovely lists. 

3 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

So,  the Bucks Hussar is likely to be one of the officers listed with the Territorial Decoration "T.D" in gmac101's lovely lists. 

Yes I think it’s Hatfield-Harter.  He’s wearing full colonel’s cuff lace.

Edited by FROGSMILE

For the officer of the 2nd Life Guards

Looking for a recipient of the DSO,

Colonel  Algernon Reginald Trotter  image from   https://www.myancestryresearch.com/sir-henry-trotter-major-general

image.png.92f1b892a677df00800ad7d4e8a1ddb2.png

Secondly,

Major John Chaytor Brinton D.S.O  Image from https://www.ornaverum.org/family/james/brinton.html

image.png.6ace9d94d7cf3f7d151399059d4378ed.png

image.png

Edited by Gunner Hall
double image

3 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

For the officer of the 2nd Life Guards

Looking for a recipient of the DSO,

Colonel  Algernon Reginald Trotter  image from   https://www.myancestryresearch.com/sir-henry-trotter-major-general

Secondly,

Major John Chaytor Brinton D.S.O  Image from https://www.ornaverum.org/family/james/brinton.html

Trotter in my opinion.  The facial resemblance is very strong even under the restrictions of his helmet.