Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching.

Miss Jones

33 minutes ago, RussT said:

Couple of pension cards (courtesy FOLD3) - not sure they add much except stating date of death as 25/02/1924 and providing his wife's name (Lavinia) and address.

Regards

Russ

Ellis Jones 1.JPG

Ellis Jones 2.JPG

Thank Russ. I wonder if you can tell me, would a common law wife in those days get the status of wife and widow? 

1 hour ago, Miss Jones said:

Hugh was killed in action.

Are you quite sure about this?

I think we've excluded the Port Dinorwic boy.

If you have more evidence of Hugh's death, please let us know.

Hugh, William (and John) all appear on the Absent Voters List in October 1919!

That Ancestry tree also gives a date of death for the other brother , William as 16th July 1918.

Now, that newspaper cutting mentioned that William was a POW in Germany since September 1914.

His Medal Index card gives his date of capture as 28th August 1914 Link

No mention on it of death.

Searching the CWGC database does give us a William Jones dying on 16th July 1918.

But he is a ship's cook, and although from Anglesey, again he is a red herring:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3046307/WILLIAM JONES/

10 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Are you quite sure about this?

I think we've excluded the Port Dinorwic boy.

If you have more evidence of Hugh's death, please let us know.

Hugh, William (and John) all appear on the Absent Voters List in October 1919!

That Ancestry tree also gives a date of death for the other brother , William as 16th July 1918.

Now, that newspaper cutting mentioned that William was a POW in Germany since September 1914.

His Medal Index card gives his date of capture as 28th August 1914 Link

No mention on it of death.

Searching the CWGC database does give us a William Jones dying on 16th July 1918.

But he is a ship's cook, and although from Anglesey, again he is a red herring:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3046307/WILLIAM JONES/

I'll recheck. Ancestry can lead you on wild goose chases, especially with the Welsh who share so many names. Nightmare. 

Also, evidence now suggests that Ellis was married to my nain. So if, IF, it's true then the 2nd wife was either common law or he married bigamoustly. I need to verify this or eliminate it. 

Dai, just checked and I didn't research Hugh, the person who was looking on find my past for me told me this. So, I can't say one way or the other til I go looking on ancestry tomorrow. She'd said Hugh died, KIA 1916. 

This is confusing when there are conflicting answers. An earlier post asked

Ellis Jones from Pentraeth. Could this be your grandfather?   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/120620340/person/120195583872/facts

The reply from OP was Hi, yes it is him

The OP later in the thread said of the same tree This is not my Ellis family. I have his family's census , I know exactly where they lived. It wasn't here.

So we have no idea if that tree is anything to do with the Ellis Jones under discussion here. Perhaps that is his natural father, but I cannot understand its relevance to the man being researched

Miss Jones,

I fear you are going round in circles.

Hugh Jones, Bragdy (your grandfather Ellis' brother), is not Hugh Emrys Jones of Port Dinorwic.

Although they have similar names, vaguely live in the same part of the universe and had a father of the same name, it is clear that the latter was killed in France on August 27th 1916.

There were 15 Hugh Joneses killed in 1916, it shouldn't be too hard to exclude them from your search.

There is no documentary evidence whatsoever that Hugh Jones, Bragdy died during the war.

In fact seeing that he still appeared on the AVL in 1919 would suggest he was alive then.

If you look at the AVL for 1918, you will see that there were 66 Hugh Joneses in the county (2 in Pentraeth parish). It was a very very common name.

There is no documentary proof, or even a remote hint that Hugh Emrys Jones, Port Dinorwic is related in any way to the Bragdy family.

Unless you know otherwise....

Are you aware of any document, family story or DNA that specifically links the Port Dinorwic boy to Pentraeth?

Edit:

I forgot to say that the Electoral Registers for Anglesey are all on Ancestry. I don't have access myself, but it should be easy enough to see if Hugh Jones, Bragdy appears in Pentraeth in 1919, 1921 & 1922.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/61449/

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

12 hours ago, RussT said:

Couple of pension cards (courtesy FOLD3) - not sure they add much except stating date of death as 25/02/1924 and providing his wife's name (Lavinia) and address.

Regards

Russ

Ellis Jones 1.JPG

It also adds that this man was married after leaving the army - useful for cross referencing purposes.

Craig

11 hours ago, Miss Jones said:

Thank Russ. I wonder if you can tell me, would a common law wife in those days get the status of wife and widow? 

No, it had to be an actual marriage.

Craig

Once again thanks all for your help. 

Dai Bach , yes, a never ending circle. But I knew that wasn't the right Hugh. But you know, Anglesey just loved sending the names down the generation. 🙈 Never would they have known that all these years on we could see all these documents on them! My two offspring will be easy to research in the far flung future.