Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Francis Victor WALLINGTON MC*** - RFA

ianjonesncl

The father (BSM RHA) died relatively early and did not live long enough to see what looks like 3 sons all gaining commissions and amassing 5 MCs and 1 OBE between them. It will be interesting to see those service records and that Fold3 item to give us more military facts.

Charlie

And once more courtesy FindmyPast, and Kentish Observer 1905, here is Francis Victor Wallington's father's funeral:

(ties up the Gibraltar connection)

1324846890_GWFWallingtonCJObit.JPG.dfbb27b1115723bd759b5dd781189920.JPG

Garrison Sergeant Major Gibraltar 1893-1902

Charlie

Bosleys sold CT Wallington's (FVW's elder brother) medals in Nov 2013:

WW1 Army Ordnance Corps Officer`s Order of the British Empire Group of Five Medals.

Awarded to Major C.T. Wallington OBE. Comprising: Order of the British Empire (Military Division 1st Type HM London 1919), engraved to the reverse `CTW RAOC 3.6.19`, Queen`s South Africa Medal, one clasp `Cape Colony`, `3632 Pte C T Wallington AOC`, (Early issue, engraved naming and Ghost dates to revers), King`s South Africa Medal, two clasps `South Africa 1901`, `South Africa 1902`, 3632 Cpl AOC`, British War Medal, `Capt`, 1937 GVIR Coronation Medal. Medals loose GC.

The single clasp to the QSA and KSA entitlement is confirmed. The WW1 MIC confirms the BWM awarded as a single issue for service in South Africa, serving there from the 4th August 1914

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Garrison Sergeant Major Gibraltar 1893-1902

Charlie

Bertarm James Wallington was born in Gibraltar when Christopher James was the Garrison Sergeant Major.

https://www.nationalarchives.gi/MilitaryBirths_1869-1914.aspx

day: 31
month: 3
year: 1894
babyname: bertie
sex: Male
fathergivenname: christopher
fathersurname: wallington
fatherbirthplace: england
mothergivenname: maude
mothersurname: kenney wallington
motherbirthplace: ireland

Charlie

Excellent to find a photograph and see the person whose life we have been looking into.

The obituary has helped provide the evidence that confirms all the indications that Bertarm James was indeed Frabcis Victor's brother. 

Ian

Pals

Thank you for everyone's contributions, they are very much appreciated. They have all provided information to bring the record of Francis Victor's service together.

I am currently pulling the research together for review.

Ian

We haven't yet seen all four citations ? Do you have the anotated versions ?

There are descendants- he had 3 children before that messy divorce but I don't know about grandchildren.

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

We haven't yet seen all four citations ? Do you have the anotated versions ?

MC gazetted on 26 January 1917:

‘For conspicuous gallantry in action. He displayed great courage and skill during wire-cutting operations in preparation for the attack. Later, he brought a trench mortar forward to an exposed position under heavy fire.’

(Gazette supplement 29921)

First bar, 16 August, 1917:

‘For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He showed great coolness and courage under heavy shell fire on many occasions. A fire having broken out in a neighbouring battery's gunpits, he volunteered to extinguish it, which he succeeded in doing, working all the time under heavy shell fire.’

(Gazette issue 30234)

Second bar, 25 August 1917:

‘For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in rushing to a dug-out in which men had been buried by shell fire and attempting to dig out the men, aided by two other officers. He himself was in a state of collapse, but insisted on helping to carry the wounded to a dressing station under shell fire.’

(Gazette supplement 30251)

Third bar, 10 July 1918:

‘For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty under close enemy machine-gun fire. This officer took forward two teams arid succeeded in moving off two guns. One of the teams was shot down, but he succeeded in bringing in the other gun. His gallantry and devotion to duty during recent operations was most marked.’

(Gazette supplement 30901)

Pals

I have been trying to find Bertram James Military Cross in the London Gazette with no luck.

Can anyone help ?

Ian

On 18/07/2020 at 22:42, IPT said:

IPT

Apologies for not recording my thanks earlier.

It is good to see the miniatures attributed to Francis Victor. It would have been interesting to see the three brothers together wearing their medals.

The First World War medals certainly stack up, MC + 3 Bars, 1914 Trio with MID. I am not sure where the Second World War Medals came from. The entries in the London Gazette detail that Captain FV Wallington re-joined the Army 7th March 1939, relinquishing his appointment 2nd September. If he was in the Home Guard the I think he would only qualify for a Defence Medal.

The description from DNW does seem to produce a few anomalies. I have not seen any evidence that he was a Major. Whilst the first MC was awarded with Z/39, the information from Dick Flory from London Gazette announcements (WO 389) reveals other units for the Bars to MC. There is also a diary, but unnamed, one wonders how those entries tie up to the MC actions.

A few more areas to explore.

Ian

Pals

Many thanks for everyone's contribution to uncovering the service career of Captain Francis Victor Wallington MC***

I have brought together my own research, the valuable information from Pals contributions and taken advantage of the free downloads from the National Archives.

This is what I have so far  - Blog Entry: 

Please let me know if  if anything does not make sense, needs clarification or further exploration. Any additional information would be gratefully received. I am looking at Army Lists to see if that reals anything. An entry for 1919 records he was wounded three times.

There are one or two anomalies which arise 

The Gunner Magazine obituary (May 1971 Gunner, page 4) records a rank of Lt. Col. - No evidence he held that rank

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catalogues/lot.php?auction_id=320&lot_uid=244478

The description of the miniatures auctioned by DNW records a rank of Major - Nothing found in London Gazette

The the miniatures auctioned by DNW  include a 1939-45 Medal and Defence Medal - not sure how he would get those. 

One again many thanks to all for their help.

Ian

9 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

An entry for 1919 records he was wounded three times.

In the war services bit it says wounded 3 times. In one of his divorce hearings it says 17 times. I suppose the 17 seperate wounds were in three episodes.

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

In the war services bit it says wounded 3 times. In one of his divorce hearings it says 17 times. I suppose the 17 seperate wounds were in three episodes.

Or he received 17 wounds during his divorce  :whistle:

• 1 year later...

Amazingly, I have come across a Victory Medal for a Captain B J Wallington.  It was in the possession of a man who recently died and I have no knowledge of why he came to have it and neither do his relatives.

Captain Bertram James Wallington served with 179th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery and received the Military Cross in the London Gazette of 3 June 1918.

• 6 months later...
On 20/10/2021 at 23:10, fougassefilms said:

Amazingly, I have come across a Victory Medal for a Captain B J Wallington.  It was in the possession of a man who recently died and I have no knowledge of why he came to have it and neither do his relatives.

I also have one of Captain B J Wallington's Victory Medals. It was found in my father's house after he passed away last year and belonged to his father who fought in WW1. Again, we have no idea how he came to have it.