Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Francis Victor WALLINGTON MC*** - RFA

ianjonesncl

Pals

I came across Captain  Francis Victor  Wallington MC and three bars in the London Gazette, one of four men awarded the MC four times.

He served with 7th Brigade Royal Horse Artillery prior to commissioning. I have been trying to ascertain if he served with I Battery or L Battery (destroyed at Nery), and would be grateful if anyone has any information on his battery.

Commissioned in the field 30th May 1916, he went onto win the Military Cross four times. Does anyone know which units he was serving with when he was awarded his MC's ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

He seems to have had a pretty disasterous post war private life. There are a number of articles about his divorce.

MC and several bars, wounded 17 times, of no fixed abode, a traveller and working on commission, selling disinfectant to undertakers ......

Charlie

edit I post the link to the Gazette that you already have

edit edit   died 15/2/1971 obit in the Gunner May 1971

Edited by charlie962

IPT / Charlie

Thank you for your very prompt replies - very much appreciated.

I have down loaded the war diary and will see what this reveals. 

Ian

Courtesy of The British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20200719-005329.jpg

From The Sheffield Daily Telegraph September 18th, 1918.

Screenshot_20200719-005828.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Sadbrewer

Thanks for the newspaper clips. It is interesting to see that his achievement was recognised at the time rather than being some post war research.

Ian  

17 hours ago, charlie962 said:

obit in the Gunner May 1971

I have my old Gunner magazines from 1971 and which one is missing ? May !

Obituary in the May 1971 Gunner, page 4:

"Lt. Col. Wallington, who died on 15 February 1971, aged 80, enlisted in 1905 and served throughout the First World. War in France in 179 and 311 Brigades RFA and Z/3A Trench Mortar Battery. It was during this service the he gained the unique Regimental distinction of being the only Gunner to be awarded the MC and three bars. His medal bears the engagements of Ancre 13/11/16, and on the bars Trois Rois 6/5/17, Blauwre Port 17/6/17 and Le Verquier 21/3/18. Col. Wallington continued to serve until he retired in 1923. In March 1939 he rejoined as a Captain and Administrative Officer of 32 (7th City of London) AA Bn, RE."

2 hours ago, rflory said:

Obituary in the May 1971 Gunner, page 4:

"Lt. Col. Wallington, who died on 15 February 1971, aged 80, enlisted in 1905 and served throughout the First World. War in France in 179 and 311 Brigades RFA and Z/3A Trench Mortar Battery. It was during this service the he gained the unique Regimental distinction of being the only Gunner to be awarded the MC and three bars. His medal bears the engagements of Ancre 13/11/16, and on the bars Trois Rois 6/5/17, Blauwre Port 17/6/17 and Le Verquier 21/3/18. Col. Wallington continued to serve until he retired in 1923. In March 1939 he rejoined as a Captain and Administrative Officer of 32 (7th City of London) AA Bn, RE."

Dick 

Many thanks for the obituary from Gunner Magazine, appreciate your assistance.

One challenge is the obituary does not seem to match up with the research I have undertaken. 

I followed the information from IPT reference Z/39 TMB and he is recorded in their war dairy as being posted to 39 Divisional HQ on 1st January 1917. The war diary of CRA 39 Div records the posting of of 2.Lieut.  FV Wallington MC (His MC was gazetted the same day) to 119 Army Field Brigade RFA on re-organisation. The 39th Divisional Artillery also record what looks like the breaking up of 179 Brigade.

Following the 119 Brigade war diary through, I found an entry for 4th June recording him assisting in putting out a fire. This would be consistent with the citation of his first bar. The following day there is a record of a bombardment which would be consistent with his second bar, though there other records of bombardment. 

I can not references to 2.Lieut Wallington's 2 bars gazetted in August which I would have hoped would have been worthy of mention, though I may have missed the entry. 

The diary does mention 311 Brigade joining with the 119th to form an Artillery group, so the 311 war diary may be worth a review.

Ian

Edited by ianjonesncl

Sorry, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the obituary - I just copied what was printed.  I have now looked at the annotated London Gazette announcements (WO 389) and can provide the following information:

1. 26 Jan 1917: Z/39 Trench Mortar Battery, Beaucourt, 13 November 1916

2. 16 Aug 1917: D/119 near Ypres, June 1917

3.  25 Aug 1917: C/119 near Ypres 17 June 1917

4. 16 Sep 1918: RFA. Vendellis 21 March 1918

3 hours ago, rflory said:

Sorry, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the obituary - I just copied what was printed.  I have now looked at the annotated London Gazette announcements (WO 389)

Dick

Appreciate one is reliant on the accuracy of information that is not derived from a primary source. Thank you for providing the additional information from WO 389 as Z/39 TMB and 119 Brigade RFA ties up with what I can derive from the war diaries. 

Ian 

Edited by ianjonesncl

Coming back to his early service he is not listed on L Battery 1914 Star roll so in another unit of 7th Brigade RHA.. I Bty or 7thBde AC, or perhaps even  H Bty ? which joined later in 1914?? I think their 194 Star roll includes H Bty men..

I Bty war diary does show a number of named NCOs being  posted to 39th Div RA in spring 1916 but Wallingtons name does not appear.... unnamed NCOs from H Bty were also posted to 39 Div RA in the same period..

Battiscombe 

Many thanks for the information on his early career.

His Medal Information Card has him entering Theatre 15th August 1914. If he is not on the L Battery roll, then it looks like I Battery.

I had gone through the both I and L Battery war diaries but found no trace of his name. I had hoped there would have been a record of his commissioning in the field.

Ian 

On 19/07/2020 at 00:55, sadbrewer said:

Courtesy of The British Newspaper Archive 

From The Sheffield Daily Telegraph September 18th, 1918.

I had wondered why it was the Sheffield Daily Telegraph where this appeared. 

The references to 311 Brigade RFA and London Gazette announcements (WO 389) reference the final MC action at Vendelles 21 March 1918 correspond with the war dairy entry for the actions of the 311th on that date. The 311 Brigade were 2nd Line West Riding Artillery, so there is the Yorkshire link.

Looking at both the war diaries of 119 Brigade RFA and 311 Brigade RFA I can not see any entries for Wallington's movement between units which is a bit frustrating. 

Many thanks to everyone for their help to bring all this information together.

Ian

I see he was indeed with I Bty RHA in 1911 when at Newbridge, Kildare - according to 1911 census. There is another Wallington, a brother perhaps?,  in same Bty.. who also appears on 1914 star roll as he was in 1914..

Battiscombe 

Thank you for the census information, this helps confirm his activities in the RHA. 

Although I can not find a reference, I am assuming that he was commissioned in the field from I Battery to the Special Reserve RFA. (Gazetted 30 Jun 1916)

The other Wallington could be a brother.

Ian

Sgt. F V Wellington was commissioned "for service in the field" in London Gazette of 3 July 1916 effective 30 May 1916.

Edited by rflory

3 minutes ago, rflory said:

Sgt. F V Wellington was commissioned "for service in the field" on 3 July 1916

Dick

Many thanks.

Ian

one other posting: in 39 Div Trench Mortars [WO95/2574/7 ]   recorded that he joined Z/39 TMB from B/179 Brigade of 39th Div RA.. 20 July 1916.. No mention of him in 179 Bde  diary though..

Battiscombe 

Many thanks - Missed that one.

I have been looking at 179 Brigade war diaries for April 1918 onwards and came across Captain Bertram James Wallington MC. His MIC (WO 372/20/197507) details he was a Bombardier in 7 Brigade Royal Horse Artillery. Your other Wallington on the 1911 census ?

Ian

2 minutes ago, battiscombe said:

yes thats him..also commissioned 1916 I think..

His MIC shows him commissioned 19-March 1916.

The reference on wikipedia shows Francis Victor was born in Woolwich. That potentially sound like his father was in the Artillery, so two brothers join up ? Interesting speculation.

As ever, thank you for your help.

Ian

It is surprising that for such a unique award there is not a more detailed biographical note. We await your blog entry !

Charlie

13 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

sound like his father was in the Artillery,

His father Christopher was a Battery Sergeant Major in 1878  M Battery RHA Am Col ? and maybe still in 1887

Source baptisms on Ancestry

edit-  PS there are trees on Ancestry suggesting descendants of Francis Victor

Edited by charlie962