The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Francis Victor WALLINGTON MC*** - RFA

ianjonesncl

Just now, charlie962 said:

His father Christopher was a Battery Sergeant Major in 1878

The story develops ! - Many thanks

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

It is surprising that for such a unique award there is not a more detailed biographical note. We await your blog entry !

Charlie

Charlie

I must admit I thought the information would be easy to come by.

When Dick Flory kindly posted the Obituary from Gunner I thought that it would pull everything together. The obituary has him down as a Lt Col (yet to find any evidence), whilst his service in 119 Brigade RFA where he was awarded two MC's in two weeks is not mentioned. As Dick pointed out, ,we can only go by what is published. 

I also hoped his name would have been more prevalent in war diaries, not only is actions, but his movements between units. 

It is turning into an interesting service record. 

Ian

His Service file is in the list of MoD held files:

Name: Fv Wallington
Birth Date: 20 Oct 1891
Service Number: P5339
Reference Number:

AOP000466938

57 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I think that is a WW2 rank ?

Charlie

London Gazette Issue 32819 page 3146 - Lt. F. V. Wallington, M.C., retires, receiving a gratuity, 2nd May 1923, and is granted the rank of Capt

London Gazette Issue 34620 page 2829 - Capt. Francis Victor WALLINGTON, Res. of Off., to be Capt. and Admin. Offr. 7th Mar. 1939.

London Gazette Issue 34922 page 5011 - The undermentioned relinquish their appts. as Admin. Offrs. 2nd Sept. 1939:—Capt. & Admin. Offr. F. V. Wallington (5339), Capt. Res. of Off.

Gunner Magazine May 1971 - Promoted Lt. Col !! 

Ian

41 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

His Service file is in the list of MoD held files:

Name: Fv Wallington
Birth Date: 20 Oct 1891
Service Number: P5339
Reference Number:

AOP000466938

Charlie

Many thanks.

Do you know how to access the file ?

Ian

10 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

Do you know how to access the file ?

You contact the MoD at Glasgow, send them the details plus 30 pounds and wait....

LLT has access details

Charlie

pm sent

Edited by charlie962

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

You contact the MoD at Glasgow, send them the details plus 30 pounds and wait....

LLT has access details

Charlie

Charlie

Army Personnel Centre Glasgow.......I had a few beers with some friends who are still serving.....one can understand the wait. 

Ian

8 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

one can understand the wait

It is a bit longer than waiting for someone to offer the next round.

If there is a connection between Francis Victor and Bertram James Wallington then it may not be brothers.

Bertram James Wallington was born 30-March-1894. The 1891 Census shows Francis Victor's father as Quarter Master Sergeant RHA in Woolwich with a son (Christopher Thomas) and four daughters. No Bertram James, unless he was elsewhere on census day.

9 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

David

Many thanks that is very useful.

I also see you can request your own record, it would be interesting to view what they have on me !

Ian 

Ian wrote: I have been looking at 179 Brigade war diaries for April 1918 onwards and came across Captain Bertram James Wallington MC.

Sjt. Bertram James Wellington was promoted "for service in the field" in the London Gazette of 12 April 1916."

1 hour ago, rflory said:

Ian wrote: I have been looking at 179 Brigade war diaries for April 1918 onwards and came across Captain Bertram James Wallington MC.

Sjt. Bertram James Wellington was promoted "for service in the field" in the London Gazette of 12 April 1916."

Dick

Many thanks, another interesting piece of information. 

So two it looks like two  Wallingtons in I Battery RHA, both commissioned from Sergeant 'for service in the field' and both would go on to receives the Military Cross. 

At the moment I can not find any family connection, it could be coincidence. 

Ian

5 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

Bertram James Wallington was born 30-March-1894.

The first Bertram James Wallington was born 1889 to Christopher John Wallington, Barrack Sergeant Major of the RA and Bridget Maud (maiden name Kenny). He died 1890.

edit -  ie same parents as Francis Victor.

The second Bertram James Wallington was born, as you say 30/3/1894.  I cannot find his birth on BMD which should quote mother's maiden name. Can you ?

Edited by charlie962

Bridget Maud Wallington is on the 1911 census (plus only her daughter Florence) as a widow with 10 children born alive, four of whom have since died.  There is a public tree on Ancestry that lists 8 children. There is no mention of Bertram James born 1889 died 1890 and no child after Francis Victor. So still possible the 1894 birth is same family.

35 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The first Bertram James Wallington was born 1889 to Christopher John Wallington, Barrack Sergeant Major of the RA and Bridget Maud (maiden name Kenny). He died 1890.

Charlie

Christopher John Wallington, Barrack Sergeant Major in 1889 and a Quarter Master Sergeant in 1891. I am not sure if that is a demotion (modern equivalent BQMS), or (modern equivalent CQMS). 

45 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The second Bertram James Wallington was born, as you say 30/3/1894.  I cannot find his birth on BMD which should quote mother's maiden name. Can you ?

I have not been able to find much on Bertram James Wallington.

Does this mean there was a Bertram James Wallington who was a pre-deceased sibling of Francis Victor Wallington ?

Ian

1 minute ago, ianjonesncl said:

Does this mean there was a Bertram James Wallington who was a pre-deceased sibling of Francis Victor Wallington ?

yes

see my crossing post

Christopher John Wallington is shown on his marriage register entry (ancestry) as M Bty A Bde RHA, Commanding Officer is Lt Col J F Free. There is a handwritten note across the entry saying 'transferred to a/a RHA. This will be c 1887 when M Battery RHA was converted to a RFA battery. So CJ Wallington went to A Battery A Bde at this point I suggest.

Lt Col Free signed the birth Register entries up to 1887 for M Bty that I referred to in my much earlier post (register also on Ancestry)

Edited by charlie962

Bertram James Wallington's service file is also still held by the MoD:

Name: B J Wallington
Birth Date: 31 Mar 1894
Service Number: P178528
Reference Number:

AOP000415945

Charlie

Thanks for the additional information. 

The fact that Christopher John and Bridget Maud Wallington had child called Bertram James  who sadly died, and another Bertram James turns up in I Battery with Francis Victor seems too big a coincidence not to be some family connection.

Could the father have been posted to India (there were a number of RHA Batteries in India) and Bertram James born there ? 

Somewhere I feel is a missing link.

Ian

11 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

Could the father have been posted to India (there were a number of RHA Batteries in India) and Bertram James born there ? 

What I have found is that Francis Victor's sister Beatrice was married in Gibraltar in 1902 (to a soldier, Frank Burnell). I suspect her father Christopher John was stationed there.

Another sister, eleanor or Ellena Maud Wallington also married 1905 Gibraltar. That is the year of their father's death, aged 54.

There is a 1901 Pensioners document on Fold 3 dated 1901 for a Christopher Wallington aged 50 of the RA (Staff of the Artillery). Transcription mentions 'Gibraltar'. I am extremely wary of transcriptions but it is a document worth checking out. I don't have Fold3 so will have to wait for their next freebie.

This would explain why I have not found any of the family on a 1901 Census.

Charlie

older brother Christohper Thomas Wallington, a Major in the RAOC, also has an MoD held file !!  He did not gain an MC but held an OBE.

ArmyList1919 says (courtesy FindmyPast)

952326508_GWFWallingtonCTArmyList1919.JPG.1a5b677ee3e3cb6c914260cca40e9f24.JPG

Name: C T Wallington
Birth Date: 25 Nov 1878
Service Number: P15317
Reference Number: AOW000114337
Edited by charlie962

35 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

older brother Christohper Thomas Wallington, a Major in the RAOC, also has an MoD held file !!  He did not gain an MC but held an OBE.

ArmyList1919 says (courtesy FindmyPast)

952326508_GWFWallingtonCTArmyList1919.JPG.1a5b677ee3e3cb6c914260cca40e9f24.JPG

Name: C T Wallington
Birth Date: 25 Nov 1878
Service Number: P15317
Reference Number: AOW000114337

Charlie 

Once again many thanks for the information - turning out to be an interesting family. 

Francis Victor's MIC is annotated attached RAOC - a part of his service that I have not come across.

Ian