Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 difficulty

Alecras234

17 hours ago, Alecras234 said:

Thanks for those but I read ebooks on kindle.    Should i carry on with Nobody of any importance, which is set from 1915?  Do i have to read in chronological order?  what about  1914, voices from the battlefields?  

Why can’t you read a normal book too, is it the size of the print or some other reason?  I ask purely because by restricting yourself to ebooks you are massively reducing the range of books, many of which are extremely easy, informative, and pleasurable to read, that are open to you. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 09/07/2020 at 13:44, Alecras234 said:

I'm disabled and find it hard to hold a book.

May I  make a small suggestion as a jackanapes, blackguard old bookselle?. The ability to physically hold a book is one often reported by my old customers- usually people of a literary background who were used to reading all their lives and had developed arthritis. If you lay a book flat on a table, then if you read it for the first time, then hold each 30 pages (say) and turn that section over-repeat the exercise through the book. The worst thing to do for a book is to open it in the middle and then bend back the spine-the easiest way to wreck both hardback and paperback book. Books that have been opened section by section will not spring back if you try to read a different section to where the crease down the spine actually is.

Pip,pip

PS My preferred solution to the inability to read properly (I am awaiting 2 cataract ops.) is to resort to the excellent audio books. A number have been done by the lovely Joanna Lumley - I had thought that I might  ask her to come round and personally read to me but a learned friend advises that magistrates would probably take a dim view of this idea.

May I  make a small suggestion as a jackanapes, blackguard old bookselle?. The ability to physically hold a book is one often reported by my old customers- usually people of a literary background who were used to reading all their lives and had developed arthritis. If you lay a book flat on a table, then if you read it for the first time, then hold each 30 pages (say) and turn that section over-repeat the exercise through the book. The worst thing to do for a book is to open it in the middle and then bend back the spine-the easiest way to wreck both hardback and paperback book. Books that have been opened section by section will not spring back if you try to read a different section to where the crease down the spine actually is.

PS My preferred solution to the inability to read properly (I am awaiting 2 cataract ops.) is to resort to the excellent audio books. A number have been done by the lovely Joanna Lumley - I had thought that I might  ask her to come round and personally read to me but a learned friend advises that magistrates would probably take a dim view of this idea.

Welcome back!

Mike.

I tried audiobooks but there are less choices than on kindle.   i learn information better by listening rather than reading, can you suggest an audiobook that covers Mons in 1914 or the battle of frontiers.

Mr. Google's Apparatus  suggest that these 2 items may be of interest (snipped-so just what Google shows):

image.png.5795914611ba666f229e663c2177f53e.png

On 09/07/2020 at 14:47, MikeyH said:

Flash in the pan. I am always looking at GWF and have always held to the view that, however grumpy and unsucessful I have been, that anything that promoted literacy and aids the awareness of books as friendly old companions is a good thing-I will always respond to book matters on GWF.

Totally NOT relevant to the Great War, so I'll probably get into trouble over this, but a book called "Wellington's Men" has just been put on Gutenberg, a collection of soldiers autobiographies.  I assume you use Gutenberg for free downloads, there's a book by a Despatch rider in the Great War; I'll look for the title in a moment for you.

Go to Gutenberg, then browse by Categories, select War and then World War 1, then Diaries and Memoirs; this would probably be a good start.

Let us all know how you get on, which ones you enjoyed etc.

Forgot to say - I search for Gutenberg releases on my laptop and then download them in the "Kindle" version, and then transfer them out of the Downloads folder using a USB cable onto the Kindle for reading.

Hope this helps.

W H L Watson also wrote "A Company of Tanks", which is the story of his subsequent services in the Tank Corps. 

Going back to reading books, I have a Bookchair, which is basically an easel that a book can be rested upon. There are small bars at the bottom which can be folded up to keep the book from closing. This is it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Hardbacks-Cookbooks-Magazines-Gifts-Blue/dp/B07NVPDR4S?ref_=ast_sto_dp (other suppliers are availabile; in fact, I bought mine from what used to be Ottakar's, which is now Waterstone's.  

• Admin

Good to one person might not be good to another. Personally I like the books by Jerry. You really need  to give the books you are asking about  a go, if you don't like them, then it's no problem.

Michelle 

In case our original poster and others might be unaware.much of what comes up on Amazon,etc as Kindle free or offers is actually already out there for nowt.. There have been a lot of copying and digitisation projects but much is consolidated on www.archive.org -a bit hit and miss and often repetitive as the same item has been copied over and over again- but there is a good deal of stuff there which is available for download.

Michelle- I have no idea what is out there for free on German digital projects but there is a goodly amount of stuff in languages that are not French on the digitised version of the Bibliotheque Nationale-it comes up under it's site name "Gallica" on Google-It has an English home page and ,although awkward when first used. again there is gold in them thar hills.

Hi guys im just reading that the Schlieffen plan had 7 armies and the 1st 2nd and 3rd were i think the main force that swept down into France from the west, is that right? I'm writing questions for a quiz, how would that be put into a question please\?

I thought Britain declared war on Germany at midnight on 4 August 1914, says in my book, british troops mobilized for war at 4:30 on 4 August.

War was declared by the UK at 11pm on 4th August 1914. That was midnight on German time. 
Mobilization of forces is not the same as a declaration of war.

Forces could mobilize in readiness to meet a perceived threat, and subsequently be stood down if that threat passed. Mobilization does not guarantee a declaration of war is coming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

I have merged all your topics about book suggestions  together to avoid repetition of answers