Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 difficulty

Alecras234

Hi guys thanks for your replies with suggestions.   I'm currently on the amazon website and im reading the samples of kindle books on ww1,  i've been reading the sample of a book called, A war that ended peace by Margaret McMillan.   The first chapter i found interesting,  it's about the Paris Exposition of 1900 where various countries display their various cultures from the past.   The second chapter is about Queen victoria's diamond jubilee and goes into the Navel demonstration at spit-head.  The chapters are so long though,  if i could read parts of a chapter rather than spend days reading the whole chapter would be good.  What do you think, should thee whole chapters be read or is it ok i read part of the chapters?

• Admin

I would recommend reading a few memoirs. I can’t manage battalion histories or the official histories. You will still learn about the war.

Since you recently started your entry into WW1, my view would be to read general accounts the war first to build a picture if events, then when your have grounded your knowledge move into biogs.

regards

David

Good evening Ash. Like yourself I find to much information tends to give me overload and I have to stop before I lose interest. I came across the Great War Forum while trying to research my grandfathers war diaries. He was a Medical officer RAMC WW1. 

I am not very good with researching(no patience) but the many members of this forum are. What I tend to do is use the browser and online users, find a thread that looks interesting and read. If it is not for me find another until one catches my interest. I have learnt so much from this Forum. You will find that most members will help you understand if you ask.

I see you have an interest in tanks, have you tried the Tank Museum, Bovington Camp, Dorset.? At  the moment it is closed because of Covid but you can still contact online. The staff there are so helpful and really know their stuff. When this lock-down eases you must visit. 

Good luck and don't let frustration beat you

Dave

Since my stroke and low attention span I find books with lots of pics or diagrams easy to digest, A picture that interestsme often opens other doors.

I'm getting nowhere here.   I found this easy to read book and has short chapters that cover battles.  I learned about FF assassinatiion and the Schlieffen plan by reading this book.  Should i read this to know about various things that happened but then read a memoir aswel?  Here's the book  https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-One-History-Hour-ebook/dp/B007E3ESWC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=history+in+hour+ww1&qid=1592082910&sr=8-1

• Admin

Hi Ash, we’ve covered this in a couple of other threads you have started. You have had plenty of recommendations about books to read and advice. Don’t get too hung up about chronology, pick something that interests you and try to read about that. 
Michelle  

I'd leave any memoirs for now, until you have a good grounding in the basics.  The point of reading a memoir is to get an insight into one person's take on events. Until you've studied the subject, how do you know whose insight you want to read in depth.?

Would YouTube be a useful tool ? There are countless WW1 videos and though I haven't looked for one I feel sure there will be some which cover the war in general rather than a 30 minute video about 1 small aspect that is invaluable only to a few. Regarding tanks, there has been at least 1 thread about 2 brothers building a replica British tank (Mk 4 I think). YouTube has a couple of videos of the finished article which you should find under 'Poelcapelle tank' or similar.

Do you know if any of your family served in the War? I began my interest by looking for my grandfather,  as I found bits out that puzzled me on the way I looked up the topic as best I could pre internet. The upshot of this method is while learning about your relative you will acquire a wealth of knowledge regarding the war in general.

If you cant find a relative to search then how about somebody from a local memorial though start with one where at least you have his regiment or far better his service number and better still an unusual name. I suggest this method as there will be members on here itching to help and explain .

As above the best method is patience with yourself and the subject and don't be afraid to ask questions on here, this forum is possibly the best WW1 encyclopaedia available. 

I also would advise browsing the long long trail linked above for a wealth of knowledge about most aspects of the subject.

Simon

Hi thanks for all your responses, im sorry but i want to be knowledgeable about the Great War and tanks and is frustrating.  I was looking at my ww1 book today and i typed a few notes, like questions and answers.    What do you think?

what battle was chlorine gas first used as a weapon?   Second battle of Ypres

when was the second battle of Ypres?  22 April 1915

who was the pioneer of gas warfare?  Fritz Haber

what gas did Fritz Haber develop?  Phosgene

Where was Phosgene first used?  Eastern Front

when did the Germans introduce mustard gas?  1917

When was the flamethrower first used?  February 1915

Who was the flamethrower used against?  French soldiers

When was the Battle of Loos?  September 1915

Who was Commander in-chief of the British army in ww1?  Sir John French

Who replaced Sir John French?  Douglas Haig

• Admin

When lockdown is over you may want to attend WFA meetings. WFA North Wales meet in Llandudno. The hall was modern and if I recall had wheelchair access. You don’t have to be a member of the WFA to attend. 
Michelle 

Hi alecras

Not had time to read all the messages but wanted to say I have a bbc compilation on vhs cassettes and consequently this has been recorded onto dvds.

You are most welcome to have the dvds . I can post them to you f.o.c.

It's a much easier way of understanding the  great war. 

Regards Steve 

And ... my best friends wifes gt grandfather was killed in  a ww1 tank during the battle of cambrai..

There is so much online regarding ww1 tanks and their museums. 

Steve 

Hi guys, all i need is guidance.   Do those questions and answers sound ok?

what battle was chlorine gas first used as a weapon?   Second battle of Ypres

when was the second battle of Ypres?  22 April 1915

who was the pioneer of gas warfare?  Fritz Haber

what gas did Fritz Haber develop?  Phosgene

Where was Phosgene first used?  Eastern Front

when did the Germans introduce mustard gas?  1917

When was the flamethrower first used?  February 1915

Who was the flamethrower used against?  French soldiers

When was the Battle of Loos?  September 1915

why did the British gas attack fail? The gas blew back to British lines

Who was Commander in-chief of the British army in ww1?  Sir John French

Who replaced Sir John French?  Douglas Haig

Hi guys how are we all doing?  Right,  i've started reading a book called Nobody of any importance, which is about the life of a ww1 soldier.   In what other way can i gain my lack of knowledge of WW1 please?

On 17/06/2020 at 14:06, Alecras234 said:

Hi guys how are we all doing?  Right,  i've started reading a book called Nobody of any importance, which is about the life of a ww1 soldier.   In what other way can i gain my lack of knowledge of WW1 please?

Hi Ash,

Carry on reading that book.

As you do so, make notes  about what you find interesting, or something you think is not covered. 

That will give you an idea of which direction you want to go, at your own pace, rather than be directed by us, who all have different interests and learning  priorities.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, my name is Ash, im 42 from Wales in the UK.   I am interested in the first world war and want to learn more about it, i know a little already.   I want to read memoirs rather than historical books,  I was looking at Nobody of any importance which is about a 16 year old lad that lied about his age to get into the army, be fought at the Somme, Galipoli, was a German POW.  Also i was looking at Storm of steel,  but i'd like a book that talks about the opening battles, mons, marne.

Ash,

G'day

you might find the most excellent Twelve Days on the Somme worth a try. First published in 1933. Just reissued by Greenhill, part of Pen and Sword ,£13.99. You can probably find a cheaper copy on line. The book offers a superb, if not the very best, account of a junior officer's actions

Regards

David

Hi Ash,

One of the first "First Hand" accounts I read which I think in part got me hooked was George Coppard's "With a Machine Gun to Cambrai" which I still return to every so often.

Should be able to pick up a copy of this easily.

The other one that immediately springs to mind that covers the early part of the war is John Lucy's "There's a Devil in the Drum"

Paperback: 406 pages,Publisher: Naval and Military Press (February 13, 2009),ISBN-10: 1843421100

Chris

Thanks for those but I read ebooks on kindle.    Should i carry on with Nobody of any importance, which is set from 1915?  Do i have to read in chronological order?  what about  1914, voices from the battlefields?  

Although fictional, I enjoyed The Ravi Lancers by John Masters as hitting the nail on the head as to what it was like in the front line in France/Flanders.

I'm looking for memoirs of the opening Battles of the first world war, mons, marne.   I was reading a book called 1914 voices from the battlefields and that talked about battle of mons but it went into the 1st lincolnshire regiment did this and 4th middlesex did this and im thinking, WHAT?

Edited by Alecras234