Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Dragoon Guards, 5th Battalion

HTSCF Fareham

On 18/04/2020 at 21:33, HTSCF Fareham said:

I wonder if anyone could help me with the location of the 5th Dragoon Guards on 31/10/1914?

I am trying to trace the death of Corporal 5475 Henry Paice who was KiA (no known grave) on that day and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Would anyone please be able to help me with an exact location, cause or the war diary for that time period?

Thanks!

Good Afternoon.

I've recently been given some medals which have been pasted down through my family. The medals came from my grandfather who is form Fareham and served in WW2. I don't know if my grandfather and Henry Paice were related. 

Henry Paice.jpg

hi wayne i been researching  my grandad james william walker 5075 for many years now theirs a marvellous post on this forum with the casualty list for the 31 oct 1914 cpl peach dcm won at nery is medal with langford i belive peach and paice were taken by the germans prisoner along with crawshay their officer wounded but all three died on the way to a  casuality clearing station and all buried to gether at side of the road do road repairs in belgium they came across three 5 dragoon guards buried together crawshay is the on ly won with a headstone i have tried to get paice and peach names put on the headstone a cem,ent cemetay the war graves wouldent have it the over person taken prisoner that day  was musician who would have become a medic he died in germany at christmas in one of thier hospitals paice and peach were trying to retake some trenches that the 57 wilde rifles a indian regiment that were shelled out of their trenches i present a plaque to the museum in messines few years back but have never seen it displayed john