Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform and cap badge recognition

Keidee

The Post 1921 Military Discharges Index contains one G. Cohen:

11005    ADT000100960    File    M/38589    NULL    COHEN G    NULL    NULL    1892-10-08

How does this DOB tie in with your George Cohen?
I  have a feeling that the RASC had a renumbering after the Great War but before 1921 when the standard 7 digit number was introduced. I wonder if that number might be a new issue for 173777?

37 minutes ago, Keidee said:

Thank you for the information M, interestingly there was talk that he (my great grandfather) had an injury supposedly caused in the war, however the electoral role I’ve salvaged has a different service number?

No worries.  Apologies if it was an excessively speculative suggestion.

Nothing shows at WFA/Fold3 under COHEN, 173777

M

11 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The Post 1921 Military Discharges Index contains one G. Cohen:

11005    ADT000100960    File    M/38589    NULL    COHEN G    NULL    NULL    1892-10-08

How does this DOB tie in with your George Cohen?
I  have a feeling that the RASC had a renumbering after the Great War but before 1921 when the standard 7 digit number was introduced. I wonder if that number might be a new issue for 173777?

Thanks Dai, i’ll check the DOB

12 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

If renumbering was the case then I suggest Pte. George COHEN, M/15616, RASC  [though we don't yet seem to have any more on him] should also be kept on the table for now.

58 minutes ago, Keidee said:

i’ll check the DOB

Of course M/38589's DoB might perhaps rule M/15616, or perhaps both of them, out - or provide a sucess full match, which would be a more useful scenario [at this stage any way].

We await news.

M

On 09/05/2020 at 15:04, PRC said:

During the war years and immediate aftermath the following births were registered of children with the surname Cohen, mothers' maiden name Kennedy.

Q3 1914 John P Cohen, Newcastle on Tyne District.
Q2 1916 Catherine Cohen, Newcastle in Tyne District
Q2 1920 George A Cohen, Tynemouth District.
Q2 1922 Kenneth Cohen, Tynemouth District.

On 09/05/2020 at 16:42, Keidee said:

Thank you Dai & Peter, I will follow that advice and apply for the birth certificate to see what information they hold. It is frustrating but I am very keen to find out the truth because I am led to believe he did serve at the Somme at some point.

John P Cohen is my grandad, hopefully my mam still has his birth certificate.

On 12/05/2020 at 14:11, Keidee said:

The original birth certificate for Catherine Dixon, unfortunately it doesn’t give much information, what is the likelihood if I order a more recent one, it will have more information?
Keith

871311F1-9804-4442-AF80-1142D2FD6F45.jpeg

Hi @Keidee

Did you ever apply for the (fuller) birth certificates?

If not, and apologies if you already know, within the last year the General Registrars Office have introduced a £2.50 option for a very, very quick copy of the entry in the birth register.

You have to register with the GRO website, and the simplest thing to do is then use the search the indexes option to find the one you are interested in. By then selecting it the range of options available to purchase then comes up. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

Cheers,
Peter

10 hours ago, PRC said:

Hi @Keidee

If not, and apologies if you already know, within the last year the General Registrars Office have introduced a £2.50 option for a very, very quick copy of the entry in the birth register.

You have to register with the GRO website, and the simplest thing to do is then use the search the indexes option to find the one you are interested in. By then selecting it the range of options available to purchase then comes up. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

Cheers,
Peter

I will look into that Peter, thank you for the link.

12 hours ago, Keidee said:

Thanks Dai, i’ll check the DOB

I’ve have this from Ancestry but I am going to double check the DOB 

IMG_3764.jpeg

On 28/04/2024 at 09:58, PRC said:

Hi @Keidee

Cheers,
Peter

Morning Peter, having registered with CRO. I have search the indexes and cannot find a Birth Certificate for George Cohen. Other than what is on ancestry, I can’t be sure that is right. I will continue to try and get a date.

regards

Keith

4 hours ago, Keidee said:

Morning Peter, having registered with CRO. I have search the indexes and cannot find a Birth Certificate for George Cohen.

Apologies –which George, the soldier or the son?

If it's the soldier I did a bit of digging on the genealogy side.

On 20/04/2020 at 14:28, Keidee said:

The story behind my Great Grandad is that he was Jewish and did not practice the Jewish faith and against his religion married an Irish lady thus resulting him being disowned by his family. My mother remembers being told not to ask questions about her Grandfather that is why information for me is limited. 

It is believed he was named Issac Cohen but changed it to George Cohen, when i do not know, but i do know that he married in 1913. I can't be precise but i do know he was born in 1893 to Rachel & Morris Cohen Newcastle Upon Tyne and he died July 1962 aged 69. His Siblings were Moses, Israel, Hannah, Sarah and Dorothy Cohen.

Am I correct in assuming that this is the Cohen family recorded living at 46 Portland Road, Newcastle on Tyne when the 1911 Census of England & Wales was taken on the 2nd April 1911.

Parents Morris, (aged 53, a Slippermaker, born Poland) and Rachel, (aged 50, born Poland), were both still Polish nationals. The couple state they have been married 30 years and the union has produced 6 children, all then still alive.

Even though their oldest child was then aged 29 and born Northumberland, there is no obvious marriage in England & Wales. Oddly there is a marriage of a Rachel Cohen and Robert Cohen recorded in the Newcastle upon Tyne District in Q3 1880. I couldn’t readily find a match for that couple on subsequent censuses.

All six children were still living with them at the time of the 1911 Census.

1] Moses Cohen, unmarried, aged 29, Slipper maker born Newcastle, Northumberland.
1901 Census. Moses Cohen, aged 19, Shoemaker, born Newcastle on Tyne.
1891 Census. Moses Cohen, aged 9, born born Newcastle on Tyne.
The birth of a Moses “Cohn”, mothers’ maiden name “Cohn”, was registered with the civil authorities in the Newcastle upon Tyne District in Q2 1882.

2] Israel Cohen, unmarried, aged 26, Lamplighter for a Gas Company, born Newcastle, Northumberland.
1901 Census. Israel Cohen, aged 16, Barman, born Newcastle-on-Tyne.
1891 Census. Israel Cohen, aged 7, born born Newcastle on Tyne.
The birth of an Israel Cohen, mothers’ maiden name Cohen, was registered with the civil authorities in the Newcastle upon Tyne District in Q4 1884.

3] Hannah Cohen, unmarried, aged 23, Slipper machinist, born Newcastle, Northumberland.
1901 Census. Hannah Cohen, aged 13, born Newcastle on Tyne.
1891 Census. Hannah Cohen, aged 4, born born Newcastle on Tyne.

The birth of a Hannah Cohen, mothers’ maiden name Cohen, was registered with the civil authorities in the Newcastle upon Tyne District in Q3 1887.

4] Sarah Cohen, unmarried, aged 21, Slipper machinist, born Newcastle, Northumberland.
1901 Census. Sarah Cohen, aged 11, born Newcastle on Tyne.
1891 Census. Sarah Cohen, aged 2, born born Newcastle on Tyne.

The birth of a Sarah Cohen, mothers’ maiden name Cohen, was registered with the civil authorities in the Newcastle upon Tyne District in Q2 1889.

5] Isaac Cohen, unmarried, aged 18, Baker, born Newcastle, Northumberland.
1901 Census. Isaac Cohen, aged 8, born Newcastle on Tyne.
No children registered with the surname Cohen, mothers’ maiden name Cohen in the North East of England during the period 1890-1894.The only Isaac with that combination was registered in the Salford District in Q2 1893.
No Isaac Cohen with any mothers' maiden name registered further north-east than Hull in England & Wales.
There is however a birth for an Isaac “Cohn”, mothers’ maiden name “Cohn” which was registered with the civil authorities in the Newcastle upon Tyne District in Q4 1892. Given the likelihood that older brother Moses was most likely recorded with a similar surname spelling it may be worth further exploration.

6] Dorothy Cohen, unmarried, aged 15, born Newcastle, Northumberland.
1901 Census. Dorothy Cohen, aged 5, born Newcastle on Tyne.
The birth of a Dora Cohen, mothers’ maiden name Cohen, was registered with the civil authorities in the Newcastle upon Tyne District in Q2 1896.

The family

1901 Census. One of the two households at 30 Wesley Street, All Saints, Newcastle on Tyne.
1901 Census. Rachel, a married woman, born “Germany” was recorded as the head of the household at 48 Wesley Street, All Saints, Newcastle on Tyne.
1881 Census. Morris & Rachel were living at 3 Middle Cross Street, Elswick, Northumberland.

Apologies if none of that is new to you.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos