Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers, 18th King's Royal Rifle Corps

mrfrank

Thanks IPT, I’d seen that image before, but at the time couldn’t seem to match it to any of those present in the photo. However, on going back to it just now, he could be the chap, middle row, 4th from right. Think I may need Mark’s forensic photographic interpretation skills again! 

3 hours ago, mrfrank said:

The write-up states that he assumed Company command 48 hours before being killed in action on 15th September 1916 aged 27. It also states rather bleakly that following his death 'No letters were received from his superior officers, for most, if not all, were killed on the same day'.

Just before Zero Hour on 15 Sep 1916, a single shell hit close to the Battalion HQ dug-out killing the CO (Lt.Col. Charles Marten - att from W Yorks Regt.), the Adjutant (Capt Fred Walton), the TM Officer (Capt Douglas Dalrymple-Clarke), and the Signalling Officer (Lt William Mathews). 

It is a testament to the quality of the battalion that they performed so well despite what could have been such a catastrophic loss of command.

Officers killed once the battle commenced included Maj Philip Sadd, Capt John Lester, Lt Cecil Curwen, and 2/Lt John Langford.

Their bodies were not separately identified until Jan/Feb 1931 during grave concentration.  Those of John Lester and Cecil Curwen are still to be identified definitively.

Casualties for the day were: Officers - 8 killed, 7 wounded; ORs - 95 killed, 199 wounded, 52 missing.

We will remember them

:poppy:

15 hours ago, MBrockway said:

and the Signalling Officer (Lt William Mathews). :poppy:

His  Memorial Scroll is currently available for purchase Here

Regards

Alan.

Dear Mark,

Brilliant researching on your part.

Respect!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 months later...

Came across the Langford brothers today on a family tree and a reference on an obituary to William Vernon Burgess- he was the cousin of the two brothers and was killed on 19 July 1916 during the 6 Berks attack on Delville Wood. His name is on the Theipval Memorial. 

I have seen searching for nearly 30 years for a photograph of WV Burgess in uniform. He appears here as a member of the Simon Langton Grammar School, Canterbury football team of 1913.

35CBB2C2-A2C6-48EA-BC41-7B2A16ED14E2.jpeg

3BE690C3-3509-4C7C-8902-DFC4E05E8C64.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is of any help.  Attached photograph of Lt Col F W Parrish DSO MC taken in 1919 when CO 13 KRRC.

F W Parrish.jpg

Apologies - only just spotted this!

Great photo of "Gasper" Parish, but not our man, I'm afraid.

"Gasper" was at this stage Captain Francis Woodbine PARISH, 2/KRRC, but attached to the Staff as a GSO3.  He'd been in the 60th since 1904, joining from the Militia.

"Our" man is Lt Frank William PARRISH, commissioned into the KRRC as a temp 2/Lt on 28 Jul 1915 and posted to the newly raised 18/KRRC shortly after. ...

196700682_LGIssue2927828Aug1915p.8613-PARRISHFrankWilliamt-2LtKRRCeff28-07-1915.jpg.b751c039f7d0aca80c8a1c5cb3c2560e.jpg

[Source: LG Issue 29278, 28 Aug 1915, p.8613]

As far as I remember, "Gasper" Parish did not serve in 18/KRRC.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

Was 'Gasper' his nickname at the time?  I had an uncle, 2/Lt Vivian Dixon serving in 13 KRRC, 1917- 1919 and although he left a diary of his time in 1/4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders (1914-1916),  I know very little about his time in 13 KRRC.  I have the War Diary and Chronicles covering the dates.  However this gives no details on the officers' personalities and characters.  I also 2/Lt WHH Demuth's photograph album - mainly 1919.  Can you help at all with any other officers or soldiers.

Worthington

Greetings from a very damp Sherwood Forest.

I know that I have asked about him before, my first post I believe,

but I am still looking for information on Harry Collinson M.C. who served with 18th Battalion.  

If any of you good folk have a picture of him that really would be great.

Old Robin Hood. 

18 hours ago, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

Greetings from a very damp Sherwood Forest.

I know that I have asked about him before, my first post I believe,

but I am still looking for information on Harry Collinson M.C. who served with 18th Battalion.  

If any of you good folk have a picture of him that really would be great.

Old Robin Hood. 

Your topic on Harry Collinson specifically is here:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/257136-information-required-on-harry-collinson/

As this topic is about Mike's Aldershot 1916 officer group photograph, it were probably better for material on Harry Collinson to be added to Harry's topic rather than here.

I've added some minor info on Harry there myself.

I can confirm Harry is NOT on Mike's photo, nor on the earlier Gidea Hall group.

Mark