Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information required on Harry Collinson

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Hello all, this is my first post, so I am learning as I go along. 

I am researching Harry Collinson of 18th 'Arts and Crafts' Battalion KRRC.

He was for a time the RSM and later became Lt and Quartermaster. Whilst RSM he was awarded the Military Cross for bravery. 

He was personally acquainted with Sir Herbert Raphael who formed the Battalion. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the GWF!

Info on researching a soldier can be be find on the forum's parent site thelonglongtrail.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/

I would suggest you click on edit in your original post and add KRRC to the title. This will encourage any KRRC experts to look at the thread.

This appear to the official notification of his MC in the London Gazette. Right hand column, lower half

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29837/supplement/11547

His medal index card gives his commission date as 4/11/17 and says he went to France first in May 1916.

The 18KRRC landed at Le Havre on 3/5/16 so that fits in.

Do you have any family details. Place of birth etc. Suspect may be born in Wakefield and a pre-war regular

Edited by Mark1959

The annotated pre-publication London Gazette gives the place of the M.C. action as Flers, and the date of 18th September 1916.

Collinson, Harry, M.C. action.JPG

Just now, HarryBrook said:

The annotated pre-publication London Gazette gives the place of the M.C. action as Flers, and the date of 18th September 1916.

Collinson, Harry, M.C. action.JPG

Have seen these posted several time but do not know how to access. Where can they be searched?

Yes, beginning to look like he is the Harry Collinson born in Wakefield c1881. Enlisted 1898 into KRRC claiming 18 years old. Served in Boer War, Ceylon and India. Married Emily May Walker in 1906, Wakefield. Prison Warder, Brixton in 1911 census. Address on back of medal index card for the KRRC man is "Governor's House, Plumstead Road, Norwich". Strong circumstantial evidence that he went back to the prison service. 

So be careful with the data posted against him on the IWM site. 

All to be confirmed. 

edit: 1939 register there is a Prison Governor in Stafford called Harry Collinson born 29/5/1881; that fits with the birth registration of 2Q, 1881 in Wakefield.

edit: There is a Death reg 3Q 1970 in Birmingham for a Harry Collinson born 29/5/1881. So aged 89.

another edit..looks as if I am correct

http://www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/prisons/mepch-b.htm 

Edited by Mark1959

Mark,

The annotated London Gazette notifications of the D.S.O. and M.C. awards are in series WO 389 in the National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/free-online-records-digital-microfilm/

The heading says "Free" digital microfilm available online. Scroll down the list to WO 389. The page explains how to view and save the files using the various common internet browsers.

You can also purchase and download the files in the usual way but they cost £3.50 each. When I, and others, downloaded them sometime ago they were free to download. There are 8 books of these Gazette notifications available.

Hope that it explains it. 

Harry

Cheers Harry. Got a number of MCs in my research but only know the action with one.  

The above data seems right. I note his MC action was on an horrific day for the battalion. Casualties about 250 I see on another thread. 

Very many thanks to Mark 1959 and HarryBrook for the really useful information on Harry Collinson.

It has filled in several blanks and a fantastic response to my first post.

old Robin Hood.

• 8 months later...

Greetings Harry

WOW . what  a fantastic buy. I do envy you. Thanks for the lead on further information about Harry he isn't easy to get info on.

I have not found much about him  I would have replaced the missing  Victory medal with a name erased one  myself.

I do hate gaps.  Hope that you continue to find nice stuff like this , I certainly wish that I could.

All the best

Old Robin Hood

• 1 year later...

Old Robin Hood,

Mike and Harry did such a thorough job back in 2018 that I felt they'd covered everything.

This is all I can add:

• Harry was appointed RSM, 18/KRRC on 08 Oct 1915, taking over when RSM Richard Pennell, who eventually commanded the battalion, was commissioned
  • His MC is probably dated 15th Sep 1916, rather than 18th Sep. 
  • 18/KRRC were heavily in action on the 15th in the capture of FLERS, which was also the day tanks were first used.  A key part of this action was rallying of the troops to press on towards GIRD TRENCH N of FLERS when the attack stalled having captured the village.  This matches well the narrative in Harry's MC citation.
  • At 05:00hrs 16 Sep 1916, 18/KRRC were pulled back to Divisional Reserve at SAVOY TRENCH (runs between LONGUEVAL and BAZENTIN-LE-GRAND)
  • At 09:00hrs 18 Sep, 18/KRRC were relieved and marched back to camp near DERNANCOURT.  Little scope for earning an MC on this day!
  • Harry was gazetted temp. Quartermaster with hon rank of Lieutenant, effective 05 Nov 1917 (see LG image below)
  • It looks like he remained with 18/KRRC, but the monthly Army Lists differ, so I'm only 75% confident on that
  • I do not have a photo of Harry

819432509_LGIss3042614Dec1917p.13061(zoomed).jpg.6717a5f68a54c0744068e9c347a590b4.jpg

Mark