Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers, 18th King's Royal Rifle Corps

mrfrank

I've just purchased this unnamed group image of 37 officers taken by Scovell in 1916 (probably on the eve of the battalion's departure for France in early May). I'm trying to identify as many as I can and have started by drawing from the relevant Army List. However, before going any further, I'm hoping forum members might be able to offer some assistance. Has anyone seen this image before or perhaps have access to a published named version? Also, was any form of battalion history or memoir regarding this unit published post war? 

Any help appreciated. 

Mike

image.jpeg

No battalion memoir I'm afraid Mike.

I'm working on the photo now.

Mark

During 1916 18/KRRC were in Aldershot 01-07 Jan and 14 Feb - 02 May, when they left for France.

Assuming as you've suggested off the board this is a pre-embarkation group photo, then by elimination the chap with RAMC collar dogs and brass buttons (Middle Row, 2nd from left)  must be the Medical Officer, Lt. S.E.Y. Elliott, RAMC.

219127837_ELLIOTTLtSEYRAMC-18-KRRCMedicalOfficer.JPG.b7dd4b1a552b3f437a5d4e045d5554e2.JPG

Edited by MBrockway

Back row, 5th from left is Lt. Douglas Scott Dalrymple CLARK, sometimes DALRYMPLE-CLARK.

2037691997_CLARKLtDouglasScottDalrymple-18-KRRC02.JPG.a8797f201ce97b11f7405d65ed31e5ac.JPG  2076666345_CLARKDouglasScottDalrympleCapt18-KKRCKiA15-09-1916.jpg.60e0a8525e85592c20d6e92ac57fb5c0.jpg 

Shown on right in Cameron Highlanders uniform before he transferred to the KRRC.

He went on to earn the MC on 10 Jun 1916 and was killed in action on 15 Sep 1916 and *possibly* the DSO, but sections of the KRRC Chronicle contradict re the latter and I have not yet chased down corroboration in the LG.

Lots more detail on him in this topic 18 KRRC - Douglas Scott DALRYMPLE-CLARK, MC

That's a great start Mark. I can just about make out the two pips on Dalrymple-Clarke's shoulder. According to the May 1916 AL (total of 50 officers listed under the battalion) he was gazetted Lt 14th March 1916. Another observation is that of the three officers visibly wearing ribbons, the one back row 6th from left is also wearing a black armband. Possibly having lost a close relative? 

Mark, 

If it is any help re: the possible D.S.O. to Lt. Douglas Scott Dalrymple CLARK, M.C., the book "Honour the Officers - Honours and Awards to British, Dominion & Colonial Officers during World War 1" by Michael Maton (a compilation of all such awards published in the London Gazette) lists only the M.C. for Lt. Clark. There is no listing therein as DALRYMPLE-CLARK. 

Harry

1 hour ago, HarryBrook said:

Mark, 

If it is any help re: the possible D.S.O. to Lt. Douglas Scott Dalrymple CLARK, M.C., the book "Honour the Officers - Honours and Awards to British, Dominion & Colonial Officers during World War 1" by Michael Maton (a compilation of all such awards published in the London Gazette) lists only the M.C. for Lt. Clark. There is no listing therein as DALRYMPLE-CLARK. 

Harry

Thanks Harry - he has multiple entries in the 1916 KRRC Chronicle.  The 18th Battalion war record Honours List has him receiving the DSO and mentions his death on 15 Sep 1916 as Trench Mortar Officer, killed by a single shell along with the CO, Adjutant and Signalling Officer just before Zero Hour,  His obit records the MC awarded for bravery on 10 Jun 1916 at PLOEGSTEERT.  The full Roll of Honour appendix omits him from the DSO section, but he does appear in the MC list (as Lieut.).

I think it is probably safe to assume the single reference to his DSO is an error.

Front row, 7th from left is the CO - Lt.-Col. George Algernon James SOLTAU-SYMONS.

1187561488_SOLTAU-SYMONSLt.-Col18-KRRC.JPG.7c770b5b9a21cb661f1c9629f93cfd5c.JPG  973973130_SOLTAU-SYMONSLt.-Col.GAJObit02.jpg.5e02f553b33ea70b573a70c35ec1ba2d.jpg

He was a retired KRRC officer. He was commissioned on 19 Nov 1887 and retired with gratuity in 1901. On 01 Feb 1916, he was recalled and appointed commanding officer of 18/KRRC (Arts & Crafts). He took them out to France on 02 May that summer before being replaced in early August 1916.

He was appointed CO on 01 Feb 1916, so your photo is later than then.

He was an Old Etonian and acted as Adjutant of the Eton College OTC from 1900 to 1909.

Edited by MBrockway

Hi Mike

My grandfather Alfred Hopkins served under the name of Victor Hopkins was in the 18th and 20th bn KRRC. There are some pictures that Mark Brockway put on the forum for me, (look for Alfred Hopkins  KRRC dated 16th Sep 2018), these may be helpful. Not sure if two of the men are on my granddad's photos. Check out the second row position 4 and 5 from the left on grandadd's photos. Is one of them sitting next to Lt-Col Algernon on your photo?

Denise

To the CO’s right (left as we look) is the 2 i/c Major Edward Robert Henry Herbert. 

32E9D13A-C7DD-42AB-822A-4A3F44B3E766.jpeg

Edited by mrfrank

Front row, 5th from left is Major Philip George SADD, Killed in Action at FLERS on 15 Sep 1916  ...

558705540_SADDMajPG18-KRRCSpring1916.JPG.b1ca22b54b22c1633e726f88af0d8e8e.JPG  786565867_SADDLtPG18-KRRCGideaHall1915.JPG.3cc3625a48740e1e49aa46865e3cc5e5.JPG

9 hours ago, mrfrank said:

To the CO’s right (left as we look) is the 2 i/c Major Edward Robert Henry Herbert. 

32E9D13A-C7DD-42AB-822A-4A3F44B3E766.jpeg

We should include the IWM attribution statement to comply with their free use policy

© IWM (HU 123248)

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs Captain Edward Robert Henry Herbert. © IWM (HU 123248) IWM Non Commercial License

It stops our wonderful Mods getting sued!

Quite right too.....and presumably stops myself being ‘put on a fizzer’. I’ll shall be more mindful in future. 

Edited by mrfrank

10th from the left in the front row is, I think, Capt Richard PENNELL, later Lt.-Col. R. PENNELL, CO of 18/KRRC, DSO & Bar and GOC 122 Brigade.

This is on the basis of Pennell's unusual sloping shoulders and his piercing eyes ... and despite the clean-shaven upper lip in the middle photo taken approx 9 months earlier.  The third photo is late- to post- war.

Pennell was a KRRC Regular.  He began the war as Serjeant in 2/KRRC, was wounded & repatriated in 1914, then was posted as RSM to 18/KRRC when that battalion was raised.  He was quickly given a commission in 18/KRRC and by the end of the war had held every officer rank in the battalion, including CO!

He was a remarkable rifleman in many ways and the fact that his Times obit was by 'Tubby' Clayton reflects the quality of the man.

1844723673_PENNELLCaptR(tbc)18-KRRCSpring1916.JPG.a5d57e24e36b4e06707ae4188d30eb41.JPG  512889564_PENNELL2LtR18-KRRC1915.JPG.b1951472ae45898d702e2bb2c353b13f.JPG  1593209972_PENNELLLt.-Col.RichardDSO-KRRCpostwar.jpg.a9d8dba27b01bb6f4b8cc7e45002baa2.jpg 

I'm very close to publishing another two IDs from the photo - just waiting for some material from their families.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Taking my cue from the May 1916 Army List and for future internet searching, thought I'd list the likely candidates to be featuring in this image and probable identifications thus far. If anyone at a future date can identify anyone further I'd be pleased to hear from you. There are 37 officers in the photo and the May 16 Army List has the names of 51 officers. I'm fairly sure that the smaller nominal roll of officers embarking for France will be a truer reflection of those featured in this photo.

Lt Col George Algernon James Soltau-Symons [Front Row 7th from Left]

Maj Edward Robert Henry Herbert [Front Row 6th from Left]

Maj Herbert Henry Raphael [not present]

Maj Philip George Sadd [Front Row 5th from Left]

Capt John Beaumont Lester

Capt Edward Paulet Powles

Capt William Moore Alpine

Capt Leo Mielziner Myers

Capt Geoffrey Dawson Ainger

Capt John Stanley Ryan

Capt Richard Pennell [Front Row 3rd from Right]

Capt John Alpine

Lt Cecil Niel Curwen

Lt George Wren Howard

Lt John Edward Raphael [not present]

Lt Christopher Robinson

Lt Frank William Parrish

Lt Roger Baskett

Lt Harry Waldo Yoxall

Lt Harold Stuart Notley

Lt Cecil Neville Spero

Lt William Scott Mathews

Lt Douglas Scott Dalrymple Clark [Back Row 5th from Left]

2nd Lt Arnold William Ingham

2nd Lt Fred Walton

2nd Lt Granville Harry Wingfield

2nd Lt Percy Cecil Henderson

2nd Lt John Edward Stewart Lamb

2nd Lt Charles Edward Stuart Sheratt Eccles

2nd Lt William Frederick Clay Murfitt

2nd Lt Reginald Francis Howorth

2nd Lt Lawrence James Limmer

2nd Lt Alfred Edward Cripps

2nd Lt William Leslie Culloden Haslam

2nd Lt Thomas Henry Crick

2nd Lt Joseph Harold Laycock

2nd Lt Edwin Cecil Russell Christmas

2nd Lt Percy Mellows Cook

2nd Lt William Francis Rutherford

2nd Lt John Joseph Langford

2nd Lt Thomas James Harold Fryer

2nd Lt Wallace George Langford

2nd Lt William Ridgway

2nd Lt GN Ecles

2nd Lt Thomas Richard Henry Webb

2nd Lt Kenneth Ogg Mackenzie MacIver

2nd Lt J Yates

2nd Lt WH Fox

2nd Lt Collier Twentyman Smithers

Lt & QM Charles Robert Linfoot

RMO Lt Stanley Ernest York Elliott [Middle Row 2nd Left]

Edited by mrfrank

I've identified Myers, but need to get permission from the family before publishing their images.

Jack Raphael had left the battalion for a staff job by the time of your photo, so he can be crossed off.

CO was SOLTAU-SYMONS, not Soltan-Symons :thumbsup:

Mark

I've deleted those officers from your Army List selection above who did NOT go out with 18/KRRC.  The remainder gives you the Nominal Roll for embarkation on 03 May 1916.

They're marked thus

Lt Col George Algernon James Soltau-Symons [Front Row 7th from Left]

Maj Edward Robert Henry Herbert [Front Row 6th from Left]

Maj Herbert Henry Raphael [not present] [transferred to 19/KRRC Nov 1915]

Maj Philip George Sadd [Front Row 5th from Left]

Capt John Beaumont Lester

Capt Edward Paulet Powles

Capt William Moore Alpine

Capt Leo Mielziner Myers

Capt Geoffrey Dawson Ainger

Capt John Stanley Ryan

Capt Richard Pennell [Front Row 3rd from Right]

Capt John Alpine

Lt Cecil Niel Curwen

Lt George Wren Howard

Lt John Edward Raphael [not present] [posted to staff job (ADC to GOC, 41st Divn)  18 Nov 1915.  DoW 11 Jun 1917 :poppy:]

Lt Christopher Robinson

Lt Frank William Parrish

Lt Roger Baskett

Lt Harry Waldo Yoxall

Lt Harold Stuart Notley

Lt Cecil Neville Spero

Lt William Scott Mathews

Lt Douglas Scott Dalrymple Clark [Back Row 5th from Left]

2nd Lt Arnold William Ingham

2nd Lt Fred Walton  [Adjutant - Front row, 8th from left, next to CO (~90% certain)]

2nd Lt Granville Harry Wingfield

2nd Lt Percy Cecil Henderson

2nd Lt John Edward Stewart Lamb

2nd Lt Charles Edward Stuart Sheratt Eccles

2nd Lt William Frederick Clay Murfitt

2nd Lt Reginald Francis Howorth

2nd Lt Lawrence James Limmer

2nd Lt Alfred Edward Cripps

2nd Lt William Leslie Culloden Haslam

2nd Lt Thomas Henry Crick

2nd Lt Joseph Harold Laycock

2nd Lt Edwin Cecil Russell Christmas

2nd Lt Percy Mellows Cook

2nd Lt William Francis Rutherford

2nd Lt John Joseph Langford

2nd Lt Thomas James Harold Fryer

2nd Lt Wallace George Langford

2nd Lt William Ridgway

2nd Lt GN Ecles

2nd Lt Thomas Richard Henry Webb

2nd Lt Kenneth Ogg Mackenzie MacIver

2nd Lt J Yates

2nd Lt WH Fox

2nd Lt Collier Twentyman Smithers

Lt & QM Charles Robert Linfoot

RMO Lt Stanley Ernest York Elliott [Middle Row 2nd Left]

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mike and I have made further IDs.

The two giant 2/Lts at the right hand end of the back row are the Langford brothers

1a: 2/Lt John Joseph LANGFORD (1894-1916)

1b: 2/Lt at RH end of back row

2a: 2/Lt Wallace George LANGFORD (1895-1916)

2b: 2/Lt immediately next to 1b

1842068969_Langfordbrothers-toprow.jpg.ba7754739070eb42ee7114bb6cb86fd0.jpg

The moustaches fooled me when I first looked at these two, and in the head/shoulder shots, which were all I had on file for them, they seem too slight and boyish to be the men in the 1916 photo.  However prompted by Mike I took a closer a look and spotted each had a minor defect in the edge of the ear - different ears, so I wonder if they were left and right flankers!

See here:

1299036557_Langfordbrothers-IDfeaturesused-JJL.jpg.4dec4c76e9c76ba6e11813b7664f9920.jpg2016630078_Langfordbrothers-IDfeaturesused-WGL.jpg.bab7b0e4755a16a1ae93352d3513792d.jpg

A trick I use when trying to match men in photos is to do a 50:50.  This works quite well for Wallace Langford ...

46410925_Langfordbrothers-demisWGL.jpg.a6c9667d21d6620c424a427e9405b826.jpg

... but in my file shot of John, his body is turned slightly away from the camera and the midline of his face is off-centre.  As a result the assembled 50:50 composites make his head look either massively stocky or unnaturally narrow, so not quite as useful, but nevertheless the likeness is strong apart from that ...

1214216736_Langfordbrothers-demisJJL.jpg.532aa72f31a12a051b37128cb993db86.jpg

The brothers were born 18 months apart. 

Both were at King's College, University of London (UL).

Both were in the UL OTC.

John had completed his BA, but Wallace left in mid-course to undertake military service.  Both had been reading Arts.  Wallace, General Literature, John, no more detail.

They enlisted together into the 3rd Bn., Artists' Rifles in the second half of July 1915.  At this time, the 3rd Artists' were at High Beech in Epping Forest (see this interesting topic: Rigg's Retreat), soon to move to Hare Hall in the Gidea Park area of Romford, where both the Sportsmen's Bns,, RF, and 18/KRRC were based.  Within the 3rd Artists' Bn., a separate Officer Cadet Battalion (No 15 (Artists' Rifles) OCB) was formed, which took in recruits for officer training not just from 'graduates' of the Artists' own basic training, but also from many other cadet officer candidates from many other training units.  However I think this was not formalised till after the brothers had passed through.

They were also commissioned together on 20 Dec 1915 into 18/KRRC.

Wallace was the first to die.  He was severely wounded while trying to rescue members of his platoon of 'B' Coy during an enemy rifle grenade bombardment at PLOEGSTEERT on 25 Jun 1916.  He succumbed to his wounds a couple of days later at 2 CCS near BAILLEUL on 27 Jun 1916.

Capt JB RYAN (OC 'B' Coy and also in Mike's photo) was killed in the same bombardment.

Less than three months later on 15 Sep 1916 John, the elder brother, was killed in action during the capture of FLERS.  His unit was building one of the four strongpoints around FLERS allotted to 18/KRRC once the assault had reached the objectives. 

Nearly half the battalion were casualties at this battle including Capt Douglas Scott Dalrymple CLARK (see Post #4 above), Major Philip George SADD (see Post #13 above) and Capt Fred WALTON (Adjutant - Front row, 8th from left, next to CO).  Several others who are as yet unidentified in the photo also fell on this day.

We will remember them

:poppy:

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Forgot to add the link to Rigg's Retreat

Thank you Mark for that superb piece of detective work. Beyond an educated guess that they were indeed the 

Langford brothers, I certainly would never have been able to distinguish which brother was which. It's only when you compare them to everyone else in that back row that you realise what 'big units' they both were and it's another tragic example of brothers falling within a relatively short space of time of each other. 

In addition, I think I've managed to identify another two officers. The first is Lt Cecil Niel Curwen whose image I found in my Vol IV of 'Memorials of Rugbeians who fell in The Great War'. The image appears to be a good match for the Lt in the back row, 4th from the left.

Transferred to the 18th battalion in Feb 1916 and proceeded to France as the Bombing Officer. The write-up states that he assumed Company command 48 hours before being killed in action on 15th September 1916 aged 27. It also states rather bleakly that following his death 'No letters were received from his superior officers, for most, if not all, were killed on the same day'.

image.jpeg

Edited by mrfrank