Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leicestershire regiment identified images for database wanted

garfyboy

Good day all

As a Leicestershire regiment Great War enthusiast and collector I am looking for images (postcards, photos) of identified soldiers, Great War era, I personally have around 900 images that are mostly unidentified but I do have a lot that are and I have picked up others from the likes of ancestry, internet etc.

my aim is to create a database from these images and to list into different battalions, casualties, officers etc, now is the right time as I am one of many to become ‘ un busy’ thanks to what’s going on at the moment.

i am happy for you to provide digital images on here or dm to me, whatever you are happy with, anybody who has original cards they wish to move on then please dm me.

My aim is to build a big a database as possible for future generations, what will become of it yet I am not sure but I will certainly let the Leicestershire records office in wigston have what I find, I will also let the Leicestershire memorials website have copys of any identified casualties to add the their database.

many thanks

andy

Edited by garfyboy

27 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Andy

Thank you so much for posting this. I didn't have an image of my great uncle, Vincent Armitage but your post has prompted me to find this! https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Vincent_Armitage_(c.1898-1918)

David

Fantastic David, glad to have been of assistance by jogging your memory

Many thanks for the DMs I have had with images, I would like this thread to run and add as we go along

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, unfortunately I have none to add however I am hoping that I could possibly find a photo of my ancestor. He was Pte Arthur Miller with C Coy 6th Battalion Leicestershire Regt. He was killed at Bazentin. The closest to finding out what he looked like is his description from his service record.

Thanks

Hull

Hi Hull

Arthur, 10115. can't find any of him only his sister Mabel and his grandfather John.

Regards Barry

25 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Hull

Arthur, 10115. can't find any of him only his sister Mabel and his grandfather John.

Regards Barry

Hi, does that mean you have photos of them? Sorry to be a pin only I have nothing photographic from that part of my family.

Thanks

Hull

Alfred Cooke

17452 Private

8th (Service) Leicestershire Regiment

Born Leicester c.1897

Resided and enlisted Leicester

Arrived France 19th Aug 1915

Wounded (date unknown)

Captured (date unknown) - PoW in Germany

Died of starvation and pneumonia, 16th Field Ambulance, Belgium, 27th Nov 1918, age 21

Buried Marche German Cemetery, Belgium

Re-interred Hautrage Military Cemetery, Belgium

Alfred Cooke (1).jpg

Alfred Cooke (2).jpg

Brother of above - 

Percy Cooke

14526 Private - Corporal

7th (Service) Leicestershire Regiment

Killed in action 8th Oct 1918

Commemorated on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial

Mark

Percy Cooke (1).jpg

Percy Cooke (2).jpg

105863053_ChattenE.W96002ndBnLeicestershireRegI.C20thdec15.JPG.48d494527227b8638052aa9fbb0326e6.JPG

Note the typo on the image 

CHATTEN EDWARD WILLIAM

Lance Corporal EDWARD WILLIAM CHATTEN D C M     (MID L/G 17/2/15 page 1661)

9600 1st Bn Leicestershire Regiment  (transferred to 2nd Bn)
Edward entered the theatre of war in France on the 12th October 1914, he was wounded in action and died of his wounds aged 24 on 19th November 1915 in No 10 casualty clearing station

He was the son of David, a chemical works labourer and Mary Amelia Chatten (nee McNeill) of Filey Cottage Moses Street North Ormesby the couple married in Middlesbrough in 1890

Edward can be found residing with his parents, two brothers and two sisters at his parents address on the 1911 census employed as a foundry labourer
His London Gazette D.C.M entry of the 30/03/1915 reads “For the gallantry displayed in the operations on 23rd and 24th November 1914”

The register of soldiers’ effects list his father David as the sole legatee of his effects

Born Middlesbrough enlisted Richmond                                 (N.E.D.G 1st Dec 1915)
LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Ray

1 hour ago, Hull17KSLI said:

Hi, does that mean you have photos of them? Sorry to be a pin only I have nothing photographic from that part of my family.

Thanks

Hull

Hi Hull,

Public Tree on Ancestry with photos of them and other relatives.  here....https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/32333999/person/18255079824/facts

Regards Barry

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2020 at 10:12, Hull17KSLI said:

Hi, unfortunately I have none to add however I am hoping that I could possibly find a photo of my ancestor. He was Pte Arthur Miller with C Coy 6th Battalion Leicestershire Regt. He was killed at Bazentin. The closest to finding out what he looked like is his description from his service record.

Thanks

Hull

Good Morning

I Have checked my data base and unfortunately I don't have a image of Arthur Miller

regards

Andy

On 20/04/2020 at 11:16, MAW said:

Brother of above - 

Percy Cooke

14526 Private - Corporal

7th (Service) Leicestershire Regiment

Killed in action 8th Oct 1918

Commemorated on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial

Mark

Percy Cooke (1).jpg

Percy Cooke (2).jpg

Hi Mark and many thanks for the fantastic images, I have added to my data base, would you be happy for me to share with the Leicestershire regiment museum and Leicestershire war memorials website so they can also add to theirs? Its great to add faces to data for future generations

regards

Andy

On 20/04/2020 at 11:50, RaySearching said:

105863053_ChattenE.W96002ndBnLeicestershireRegI.C20thdec15.JPG.48d494527227b8638052aa9fbb0326e6.JPG

Note the typo on the image 

CHATTEN EDWARD WILLIAM

Lance Corporal EDWARD WILLIAM CHATTEN D C M     (MID L/G 17/2/15 page 1661)

9600 1st Bn Leicestershire Regiment  (transferred to 2nd Bn)
Edward entered the theatre of war in France on the 12th October 1914, he was wounded in action and died of his wounds aged 24 on 19th November 1915 in No 10 casualty clearing station

He was the son of David, a chemical works labourer and Mary Amelia Chatten (nee McNeill) of Filey Cottage Moses Street North Ormesby the couple married in Middlesbrough in 1890

Edward can be found residing with his parents, two brothers and two sisters at his parents address on the 1911 census employed as a foundry labourer
His London Gazette D.C.M entry of the 30/03/1915 reads “For the gallantry displayed in the operations on 23rd and 24th November 1914”

The register of soldiers’ effects list his father David as the sole legatee of his effects

Born Middlesbrough enlisted Richmond                                 (N.E.D.G 1st Dec 1915)
LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Ray

Thanks for that Ray, always nice to see a DCM recipient

regards

Andy

6 hours ago, garfyboy said:

Good Morning

I Have checked my data base and unfortunately I don't have a image of Arthur Miller

regards

Andy

Thanks for looking for me. A very interesting database and i'm sure will prove to be very valuable resource!

• 8 months later...

Lovely image, I see Herbert died in 1923 after suffering from the effects of gas from the war, I have added to my database 

many thanks

You might not be aware of the mystery Leicestershire Regiment image below, brilliantly reconstructed from ripped up pieces by forum member Keith Brannen, that appears in this thread: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/287943-help-required-trying-to-solve-family-mystery-and-identify-this-soldier-yorkshire-connection/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-2978515

He's a MM winner, but there's no luck so far in confirming who he is.

140896096_Unidentifiedrestoredfullpicture.jpg.fd3a99bcd0551d3658ae3a56b122c9b4.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for making me aware of this thread, what amazing work!

I've just become aware of this thread. What great work. Unfortunately I don't have any photos I can add, but I am interested in three Leicestershire men and wondered if you had any details or photos:

Cap Sydney Stewart English

Pte 42305 William Fletcher

Pte 43848 James Maurice Thirlwall (who served in several battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers before transfer to the Leicesters).

Many thanks

4 hours ago, bmbab said:

I've just become aware of this thread. What great work. Unfortunately I don't have any photos I can add, but I am interested in three Leicestershire men and wondered if you had any details or photos:

Cap Sydney Stewart English

Pte 42305 William Fletcher

Pte 43848 James Maurice Thirlwall (who served in several battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers before transfer to the Leicesters).

Many thanks

Hi

Unfortunately I don’t have any images of these three men, and the best information you will find is on the regimental website if you’ve not checked already https://royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/have-you-a-tiger

Cheers

andy

This is Lance Cpl Alphonso Reffin 2213 of the 5th Battalion from Sileby Leics. I have only just come across him last week after discovering him on the fringes of my family tree. He died of wounds on 25th September 1915 near Hill 60. All his records are available and he’s also included on an earlier thread: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/148050-1st5th-bn-leicestershire-regiment/?tab=comments#comment-1425724

Alphonso Reffin-sepia.jpg

Edited by m0rris

I have another who is 2nd Lieut Walter FV Anson of Lancaster Road Leicester - formerly of 4th Leicestershire Regt. He was an artist and friend on my grandfather's serving in Gallipoli and Palestine with the 6th RWF where he was killed on 8th November 1917. He's at the back - on the left.

Anson-21-7-15.jpg