The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leicestershire regiment identified images for database wanted

garfyboy

27 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Always happy to help  FS. I don't have any information on 2nd Battalion patches as seen on Sgt Shingles collar, or remember reading anything about them. Regards, Bob.

It’s made me wonder if he served with other battalions than just the 2nd.

42 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s made me wonder if he served with other battalions than just the 2nd.

Quite possibly. I looked for pictures of Pte William Buckingham VC 2nd Battalion, for the collar patch, he has one in some pictures. Picture link here;https://royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/entity/77107-buckingham-william-henry-vc there are a number here and there. It seems that he served with the 1st, then 2nd when he won his VC and then back to UK to help with recruitment, then KIA  whilst serving with the the 1st in France. In one picture he is with Pte 8802 Thomas Newcombe DCM 2nd Battalion, who is wearing a dark patch on his collar. Looking on his service medal list it only says 2nd Battalion. Whereas others named have one or two Battalions listed. So I am thinking that the 2nd Battalion had patches too. Newcombe won his DCM in May 1915. The picture is from around February 1916, but that is not a certain date. Picture link here;https://www.wigstonhistoricalsociety.co.uk/GLEN PARVA/slides/34- 369 Lance Corporal Thomas Newcombe DCM and Private William H Buckingham VC.html

Edited by Bob Davies

Here is an interesting link to a 7th Battalion soldier with a patch on his collar. Lance Corporal 12751 Thomas William Emerson;https://www.rothleyparishcouncil.org.uk/emerson-tw.html

Edited by Bob Davies

This is all quite intriguing Bob.  Hopefully @poona guardmight be able to offer some insight.

Hi Keith,

Great photo wish I could have used it my book on the badges of the regulars - perhaps I could include it in the addenda in another volume? The badge was black and worn from October 1914 to November 1915.

Dave

28 minutes ago, poona guard said:

The badge was black and worn from October 1914 to November 1915.

Thanks Dave, do you have any more details about the collar badge for the 2nd Battalion please. If it is for your book then I understand why if you don't want to pass it on. Publication date? Best wishes, Bob.

Edited by Bob Davies

H Bob,

The book on the regulars came out a month ago (Pen&Sword Badges of the Regular Infantry 1914-1918, volume 1 was on the Kitchener Infantry) but want to add an addenda to the third volume - the Terriers - which hopefully will be out next Christmas. The badge was adopted on arrival in France and replaced by a black diamond on the topee. Although it doesn't look like it the collar badge is supposed to be a diamond. It was taken bak into use in Egypt in January 1918.

Do you have any photos of Terriers wearing cloth badges?

Hope the above is of interest.

Best,

Dave

3 hours ago, poona guard said:

Hope the above is of interest.

Hi Dave,  yes very interesting, thank you for replying. I see you have a few books to your name, the 'Badges of the Regular Infantry 1914-1918' would certainly interest me. The only picture I have  of a possible Terrier, is from Matthew Richardsons book 'Fighting Tigers' on page 94. Pte Charles Hatter 1/5th Battalion. The chapter describes their actions at Pontruet and the breaking of the Hindenburg line September 1918. I won't copy it as it is not mine to do so. The picture of Charles is of him standing with one hand on the back of a chair. His Leicesters cap badge looks to have the Hindoostan scroll on the top of it, so a regular battalion badge rather than the territorial one without the scroll. Top of his left sleeve is a square patch, it is of a lighter colour than his tunic, with a dark border and a separate  dark middle device. He also wears a good conduct stripe and a wound stripe on the lower part of his left sleeve. No belt or puttees. Link here to a bit more on Pte Charles Hatterhttps://www.thefamousfifty.co.uk/the-fifty-men I will see if the same picture can be found elsewhere on the internet. Wishing You and all a Happy Yule Time. Bob. 

5 hours ago, poona guard said:

Do you have any photos of Terriers wearing cloth badges?

I just did a bit of looking. The picture of Charles Hatter in Richardsons book is credited to Michael Kendrick, Charles Grandson. Looking at @garfyboy s most excellent site, link here;https://www.ww1leicestertigers.com/interesting-images there are more pictures of Charles though none with the patch. Possibly Andy could put you in touch with Michael Kendrick? Best of luck, Bob.

On 23/12/2021 at 21:25, poona guard said:

Hi Keith,

Great photo wish I could have used it my book on the badges of the regulars - perhaps I could include it in the addenda in another volume? The badge was black and worn from October 1914 to November 1915.

Dave

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to our query.

Always happy to help with badges when I know my help is needed. I will contact garfboy.

Hopefully everybody is enjoying Christmas. I have just visited my son in Covidopolis - hopefully without catching anything

Best,

Dave

2 hours ago, poona guard said:

Always happy to help with badges when I know my help is needed. I will contact garfboy.

Here is an older post from the GWF 2009 showing a great picture of a 2nd Battalion Leicestershire soldier with a black diamond on his pith/Wolsey helmet.

Guest leicetershirejones

• Guest leicetershirejones
  • Guests
RobL said:
The 2nd Battalion, when in the middle east, wore a black diamond on the Pith helmets as a way of identification. A book was re-released this year about the 2nd Leicesters in the middle east, called 'Tigers along the Tigris'

Many thanks RobL, that is very very useful (see photo)!

I had been trying to establish which Leicestershire battalion my grandfather was in (he was later in the 2/19th London).

post-42806-1231535765.jpg

Pte. F.W. Jones 45093

I'll try to get a copy of the book.

20 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Nice picture. Thanks. Alway interested to see WW1badges.

Hi Dave, the book referred to in this post is called 'Tigers along the Tigris' . I believe that this is the same book, written by E J Thompson MC called 'The Leicestershires beyond Baghdad' A link here (free) with a quote about the black diamond. https://archive.org/details/beyondbaghdad00thomuoft/page/n123/mode/2up?q=diamond

Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies on this subject, the black patch for the 2nd battalion is a interesting one, as we know, the 6th battalion wore the black rectangular patch on the collar but i have a few examples of identified 2nd battalion men with a black collar patch very similar but looks bigger, please see the images i have provided, both men have been researched and show no service with any other than the 2nd battalion, i have also shown a couple more images of 2nd battalion leicesters with the black triangular patch on their pith helmets.

I do remember reading about this 2nd battalion black patch but for the life of me i can't remember where

Andy

STURMAN, Albert, MM, 18220, 2nd.jpg

RIVETT, John Thomas, MM, 8114, 2nd.jpg

JAMES, Elijah, 21036, 2nd.jpg

JAYES, Cecil Charles, 34090, 2nd..jpg

For comparison, here are a couple of 6th battalion collar patches, as you can see, they are quite a bit smaller than the 2nd battalion chaps

IMG_8573.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

8 hours ago, garfyboy said:

Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies on this subject

Hi Andy, thanks for posting these pictures, very interesting to me. I am pleased you have taken the baton from Jonathan and continue his great work. I am sad to hear of his passing. We used to be in touch via email a few years back now, 2014/15 from memory, discussing various bits of the Tigers from WW1. Best Wishes, Bob.

On 27/12/2021 at 19:50, Bob Davies said:

Hi Andy, thanks for posting these pictures, very interesting to me. I am pleased you have taken the baton from Jonathan and continue his great work. I am sad to hear of his passing. We used to be in touch via email a few years back now, 2014/15 from memory, discussing various bits of the Tigers from WW1. Best Wishes, Bob.

Hi Bob

A pleasure, glad you find of interest.

yes it was sad that Jonathan passed away.

if you ever need to talk tigers or wish for me to look up any tigers on my image database, please get in touch

Andy

8 minutes ago, garfyboy said:

if you ever need to talk tigers or wish for me to look up any tigers on my image database, please get in touch

Andy

Thanks Andy, looking through your images one reminded me of a picture from one book I have. Your image number is 243, I think he is very similar looking to a soldier by the name of Tookey. He also had a brother. page 137 in Richardsons book 'The Tigers 6.7,8 and 9th battalions' . Bob.

40 minutes ago, garfyboy said:

Hi Bob

A pleasure, glad you find of interest.

yes it was sad that Jonathan passed away.

Andy

Very interesting Andy, thank you for posting your images.

1 hour ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks Andy, looking through your images one reminded me of a picture from one book I have. Your image number is 243, I think he is very similar looking to a soldier by the name of Tookey. He also had a brother. page 137 in Richardsons book 'The Tigers 6.7,8 and 9th battalions' . Bob.

Hi bob

Thanks for that, yes I can see the resemblance , unfortunately not quite enough for me to name him

cheers

Andy

54 minutes ago, garfyboy said:

Thanks for that, yes I can see the resemblance , unfortunately not quite enough for me to name him

cheers

Andy

Thanks for looking Andy. 223 'Ted' could be Ted Lester MM 1/5th bn. Page 90 Richardson 'Fighting Tigers'. However still not enough I would have thought. Best wishes, Bob. pictures of Ted here too; https://books.google.ie/books?id=86IaDXLEqz8C&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=Ted+Lester+MM+1/5th+Leicestershire+regiment&source=bl&ots=Q4WX8kjVBu&sig=ACfU3U2Yjr0nMyTUGgMLcOYktjF0sAMb5Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiD0OO1yIf1AhVHUMAKHfwCAeYQ6AF6BAgPEAM#v=onepage&q=Ted Lester MM 1%2F5th Leicestershire regiment&f=false

Edited by Bob Davies

On 28/12/2021 at 22:13, Bob Davies said:

Thanks bob

i have a collection of cards to ‘Ted’ Lester and pretty certain it’s not him, they were from Jonathan’s collection

thanks

andy

12 minutes ago, garfyboy said:

i have a collection of cards to ‘Ted’ Lester and pretty certain it’s not him, they were from Jonathan’s collection

thanks

andy

Fair do ;-) All credit to you Andy. Happy New Year! Bob.