Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leicestershire regiment identified images for database wanted

garfyboy

13 hours ago, m0rris said:

I have another who is 2nd Lieut Walter FV Anson of Lancaster Road Leicester - formerly of 4th Leicestershire Regt. He was an artist and friend on my grandfather's serving in Gallipoli and Palestine with the 6th RWF where he was killed on 8th November 1917. He's at the back - on the left.

Anson-21-7-15.jpg

Hi Morris

many thanks for those two images, that’s two more faces to two more names, I will share with the regimental museum and Leicestershire war memorials websites if that’s ok with you

Thanks

andy

Of course Andy. That's great.

Just found another from a group family photo. Unfortunately not a great picture. It was taken in 1924 and has Wilfred Lawson Dexter who married into the family. His records exist and he enlisted as 23959 into the 3rd Btn. He's in the centre of the frame at the back.

WLDexter.png

Nice one, even a poor image is better than no image

cheers

andy

On 20/04/2020 at 11:11, Hull17KSLI said:

Hi, does that mean you have photos of them? Sorry to be a pin only I have nothing photographic from that part of my family.

Thanks

Hull

Hi Hull

Did I reply to you? Apologies if not.

You will find the photos here on Ancestry...https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/32333999/person/18255079824/facts

Regards Barry

Hi 

Thought the attached may be of interest,

The chest is something I bought in December 2019 from a small antique / vintage shop in Stockport.

If you search the GWF site under the Title Ernest Shingles, you will find the story, as the member got the name wrong as it should be Shingler.

Born 1886 Leicester, joined up at 18,

Rather than write an essay, if you need any further info from me, please contact and I will respond if I possibly can.

I am currently in touch with the owner of the shop, to try and find out how she came about the chest for her stock.

Picture 1 is a post card / business card taken in a photographers in Salford Manchester.

Picture 2 if you can zoom in, is pencil written on the underside of the chest lid, mentioning India - Bangalore etc

Picture 3 The chest of which belonged to Ernest

Kind Regards

Keith

km2455   

127362804_SHINGLESErn.jpg

IMG_0204.JPG.a086bcc6.jpg

IMG_0202.JPG.8642192d.jpg

Hi keith

Firstly, great find, that’s a lovely trunk, I have a similar one, and nice image also, I will add to my database and share with the regimental website if that’s ok with you, that’s another face to a name

cheers

Andy

On 07/02/2021 at 15:40, KM2455 said:

Hi 

Thought the attached may be of interest,

The chest is something I bought in December 2019 from a small antique / vintage shop in Stockport.

If you search the GWF site under the Title Ernest Shingles, you will find the story, as the member got the name wrong as it should be Shingler.

Born 1886 Leicester, joined up at 18,

Rather than write an essay, if you need any further info from me, please contact and I will respond if I possibly can.

I am currently in touch with the owner of the shop, to try and find out how she came about the chest for her stock.

Picture 1 is a post card / business card taken in a photographers in Salford Manchester.

Picture 2 if you can zoom in, is pencil written on the underside of the chest lid, mentioning India - Bangalore etc

Picture 3 The chest of which belonged to Ernest

Kind Regards

Keith

km2455   

127362804_SHINGLESErn.jpg

IMG_0204.JPG.a086bcc6.jpg

IMG_0202.JPG.8642192d.jpg

1585578C-5143-4BD1-855C-7542924AB227.jpeg

Hi Andy, Thank You for return and Your attached photo's, they are fantastic and sure as mine could tell some real stories if they could talk. 

I'm more than happy for you to include the detail I posted to you, that's absolutely fine.

I have since found out from the owner of the antique / vintage shop, in Stockport, the Chest was part of a House Clearance in Heaton Mersey sometime in 2019.

The Photo Card was on the GWF site which was taken in Manchester, I also believe Ernest spent some time in Broughton House Mission in Salford, which I assume may have been rehabilitation from a GSW although papers state not life threatening.

I have been in touch with the Manager at Broughton House, which still operates all these years on, however after passing my questions on to the Historian within the organisation, in an attempt to confirm Ernest spent some time there, I have had a response to say they are missing some 600 names from their records dating back from 1917 -18, so I have hit a brick wall.

I am trying to find out why Ernest's Travel Chest was in the Manchester area, as he eventually settled in Dartford Kent with his family, passing away on 4th January 1951 at the age of 65.

Apologies for rattling on.

Kind Regards

Keith  

Just this minute stumbled across John W Ratcliffe 15430 9th Leicesters.

JWRatcliffe.jpg.cb00b5bdc2ab43be324baeb05cf3ef3e.jpg

Thanks m0rris, nice image and nice to see the battalion collar patch to 👍👍

• 1 month later...

Private ERNEST RICHARD DUNNING

Service Number: 41323

Regiment & Unit/Ship   6th Bn.   Leicestershire Regiment

Date of Death

Died 05 July 1918

Age 19 years old

Buried or commemorated at

CRONENBOURG FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY

AB. 33.

France

Additional Info Son of Ernest and Janet M.E. Dunning, of 273, Brereton Avenue, New Cleethorpes, Grimsby.

1066601952_DunningErnestRichard-face.jpg.cdeccd599271689006df04c21370a1ea.jpg

Lieutenant LIONEL PILKINGTON ABBOTT

Regiment & Unit/Ship    7th Bn.    Leicestershire Regiment

Date of Death

Died 14 July 1916

Age 28 years old

Buried or commemorated at

FLATIRON COPSE CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Sp. Mem. 18.

France

Country of Service United Kingdom

Additional Info Son of the Rev. Arthur Abbott and Lucy Blanche Abbott, of Corby Vicarage, Grantham.

391675228_AbbottLionelPilkington-face.jpg.b962fea77850ecee52c8d65028d46a9a.jpg

Great work temptage, more faces to names, many thanks 👍👍👍

• 1 month later...

lieutentant  hubert henry phillips

d o w 4th october received at loo's 25th sept 1915

2nd batt   

2103701971_PhillipsHHLt3rdLeicsRegtTheSphere6thNov1915.jpg.8d3a5a7151dc9e2ad27dfef0fa0ed3ff.jpg

Lovely image, many thanks, very much appreciated 

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, I am still looking for identified images of Great War era Leicestershire regiment soldiers to put faces to names, I share with the regimental website and add to my personal database, I have had a spurt in recent months thanks to a media campaign, any help is appreciated 

Thanks

Andy

F7128B54-0736-44BD-BF4C-08A5C2CDAFB8.jpeg.f8ccfcca785fb5c5574a28c9db968e73.jpeg

On 18/06/2021 at 17:52, garfyboy said:

Hi folks, I am still looking for identified images of Great War era Leicestershire regiment soldiers to put faces to names, I share with the regimental website and add to my personal database, I have had a spurt in recent months thanks to a media campaign, any help is appreciated 

Thanks

Andy

Or please try and identify unknown soldiers - ww1leicestertigers.com

• 5 months later...

Hi folks, I am still looking for identified Leicestershire regiment soldiers but please get in touch if you want me to check my database for a certain soldier as I do have many many hundreds

andy

• 4 weeks later...

Great image, thank you, do you own this framed image or is it hanging in a church or memorial hall?

thanks

andy

hello andy

THE PICTURE IS FRAMED AND HELD AT HIS OLD SCHOOL LISTED BELOW

Hubert Henry Phillips attended Hertford Grammar School from 1905-1912.
Captain of Cricket and Football, Colour Sgt, OTC, Head of School 1912.

Left School to train as an Accountant.

2nd Lieutenant 3rd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment Sept. 11Th (1914) probationary.

Wounded at Ploegsteer 13th November 1914.

Confirmed in Rank 15th December 1914.

Died of wounds received September 25/26 in action near Loos 4th October 1915,at the age of 22.

This information is taken from Hubert’s official School Admission Record held in the School Archives.

ALSO I HAVE GOT THE CWGC TO AMEND THIER RECORDS TO SHOW HIM  AS 3RD BAT ATTACHED TO 2ND LEICESTERS 

AS THEY HAD HIM WRONGLEY LISTED AS 7TH ATTACHED TO 3RD 

TREVOR

Thanks for that Trevor

great to know it’s still with his school for all to appreciate and great work getting the cwgc to amend their records

have a great Christmas 

Andy

On 20/02/2021 at 05:21, garfyboy said:

Thanks m0rris, nice image and nice to see the battalion collar patch to 👍👍

I’ve just noticed that Sergeant Shingles has a collar patch too, but orthochromatic film has made its exact colour difficult to ascertain.  I wasn’t familiar with these collar patch distinctions and it’s interesting to see them in use.  I imagine that the researcher and published SME @poona guardwill find such good photos (specifically Shingles) of some utility if he hasn’t already seen them. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I wasn’t familiar with these collar patch distinctions and it’s interesting to see them in use.  

A bit more information regarding the collar patches for you FROGMILE. It comes from Mathew Richardsons book The Tigers 6th 7th 8th and 9th (service) Battalions The Leicestershire Regiment. He supposes that they came in to use while the 110th Brigade AKA The Leicester Brigade  was completing their training at Perham Down end of April 1915. From other photos he says that the size and shape was somewhat inconsistent so long as the colour was correct and sewn onto the left collar. Black for the 6th, red for the 7th, green for the 8th and yellow for the 9th Battalion respectively. It helped the MPs if you were in trouble related Charles Monk of the 7th years later, if you didn't have a patch you could say you were from a different Battalion! After the 1st July 1916 one brigade of the 21st Division had been so badly hit that the remainder were rested and replaced by the 110th Leicester Brigade. So on the 6th July they were ordered to adopt the colour scheme of their parent formation. (From Dick Read 'Of Those We Loved') All in yellow cloth sewn to both upper arms just below the shoulder strap and one on the back below the collar. Circles for the 6th, rectangles for the 7th, squares for the 8th and triangles for the 9th Battalions respectively. Regards, Bob.

25 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

A bit more information regarding the collar patches for you FROGMILE. It comes from Mathew Richardsons book The Tigers 6th 7th 8th and 9th (service) Battalions The Leicestershire Regiment. He supposes that they came in to use while the 110th Brigade AKA The Leicester Brigade  was completing their training at Perham Down end of April 1915. From other photos he says that the size and shape was somewhat inconsistent so long as the colour was correct and sewn onto the left collar. Black for the 6th, red for the 7th, green for the 8th and yellow for the 9th Battalion respectively. It helped the MPs if you were in trouble related Charles Monk of the 7th years later, if you didn't have a patch you could say you were from a different Battalion! After the 1st July 1916 one brigade of the 21st Division had been so badly hit that the remainder were rested and replaced by the 110th Leicester Brigade. So on the 6th July they were ordered to adopt the colour scheme of their parent formation. (From Dick Read 'Of Those We Loved') All in yellow cloth sewn to both upper arms just below the shoulder strap and one on the back below the collar. Circles for the 6th, rectangles for the 7th, squares for the 8th and triangles for the 9th Battalions respectively. Regards, Bob.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that Bob, very interesting.  Regards, FS.

22 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain that Bob, very interesting.  Regards, FS.

Always happy to help  FS. I don't have any information on 2nd Battalion patches as seen on Sgt Shingles collar, or remember reading anything about them. Regards, Bob.