Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dear Nick,

I was surprised that Brooksbank, after all a Capt., MC, should have received such a luke-warm Report!

Here, for general interest, is Brookbank's  MC Citation...

Kindest regards,

Kim.OffrReport1918.jpg.aa856cff62e63c8008ecaeaf1a5d96e0.jpgMCCitation.jpg.585f795fb73172b080ba1d59c19d8f81.jpg

18 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I was surprised that Brooksbank, after all a Capt., MC, should have received such a luke-warm Report!

Good question.  I suspect Brooksbank was somewhat diffident, an introvert.  The OCB reports often use the phrase 'the quiet type' and recommend more experience of commanding men.

Of course, there is a difference between being one of a platoon of officer cadets or a syndicate on an officer course where all are essentially equals, so the most outspoken tend to be noticed, to commanding a new platoon or company where one is the senior ranking officer.  It is easier for the slightly introverted officer to impose him or herself in his or her own way

The Army had, and IMHO, still has a preference for charismatic extroverts.  A supremely self-confident individual from the 'right' social background who can talk a good game will be preferred, by the Regular Army at least, to a man who prefers to think first before opening mouth.  This can lead to the selection of what might be termed 'natural leaders' of the charismatic type, but equally an overrepresentation of pathologies such as bullying and other expressions of toxic leadership (narcissism, sociopathy etc.) In my experience Tommy Atkins will soon see through the shortcomings of this type of officer.

I suspect the TF had a better understanding of class and personality and leadership potential than did the regulars.

NB an interesting comparison with the Canadian Army in WW2, where the officer training was revamped by Milton Greg VC. Greg had been commissioned at No 5 OCB in 1916 and later was awarded the VC. He didn't meet the classic stereotype of the British Regular officer, but knew what type of man was required to lead a citizen army.  I suspect Sydney Jary of '18 Platoon' fame of WW2 was similar.

20 hours ago, BGS said:

that will be very helpful - thanks very much. I'm acting as' research assistant' to Fraser Skirrow in this. He's working on a talk for the WFA AGM at Leeds in April.

Nick, that's interesting to know.  I saw Fraser was speaking at the AGM and would be most interested to hear it, though wont be able to make it myself.  He may well have some material that would be worth citing in my PhD.

The thread is up, but I have more to add.  I would be most interested if you and Fraser can add anything to it in due course.

Charles, the good news is that Fraser thinks there may be an article to be written from the talk. BTW I'm ex-KCL myself, although when I was there in the 1970s War Studies was Post-Grad only.

Nick.

2 hours ago, BGS said:

Charles, the good news is that Fraser thinks there may be an article to be written from the talk. BTW I'm ex-KCL myself, although when I was there in the 1970s War Studies was Post-Grad only.

Excellent, that would be great if there is.