Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hello all

I am looking for examples of form SD 622 which was completed for officers passing out (or failing) of infantry officer cadet battalions.  They have usually been weeded out of officer files, though are most likely to be present in the files of officers commissioned at the Armistice, or officer cadets demobilised to a commission in early 1919.

I have collected about 300 or 400 of these for analysis for a forthcoming PhD on officer selection and training.  They often provide a great deal of insight into character, sporting ability, social class, 'gentlemanliness' etc. and tell me a lot about the selection criteria and the biases (unconscious or not) that determine whether a cadet would pass the course,

However, I would love to find a few more of these forms (and their equivalents in other arms).  I would be hugely grateful if anyone is willing to share examples of ones they may have found along with basic background info (occupation, father's occupation, education, OTC experience) that would allow me to assess their social class. The TNA file reference would be helpful too.

I will post a couple of examples so you can see what I mean.  The first from Stanley Borrie, No 15 OCB, TNA WO 339/138695, the second from O/Cdt Coombe, No 15 OCB WO 339/113666

thank you in anticipation for your help

Charles

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_5938.JPG

Hi Charles,

I have a good few of these and will go through my files. NA file WO374/76727.

Andy

DSC05407.JPG

Charles,

This one might be of interest, an early type of the form issued by the War Office M.O.5(a) Room 226.

This from WO339/46960

DSC08114.jpg

WO374/68107

DSC02516.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

Charles,

For family details, OTC, education etc it might be an idea to check out form MT393A. Attached is from the previous soldiers file (Bloom)

Andy

DSCN1703.jpg

Many thanks Andy, this is very helpful.  It's a great sample of SD622s from a good cross section of OCBs. 

So far I've looked at over 1,500 officer files to date and my hit rate for finding these is now under 10% because of the weeding.  I started out by going through all officer files with 'officer cadet' file description and the hit rate was c. one third after I had ruled out all those who were for RFC cadets.  These were all in WO 339 with no files so described in WO 374.

Here is an ASC example - the ASC used a different form. (Arthur Annis WO339 138771)

IMG_5396.JPG

Welcome Charles,

As you can see most of those put here presently are from WO374. These are just files I have picked up along the way as the individual was of interest in the Rifle Brigade for various reasons. I have quite a few more files to go through to see if we can find anymore for you.

Andy

:lol: Didn't the War Office send Niven to the Highland Light Infantry?