Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find the man behind the medals. W Ollerenshaw, Derbyshire

Marie Baggaley

15 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Can't for the life of me find William Ollerenshaw in the 1939 Register on Ancestry.

Can anyone post a link to him please?

This is the link to the Post Office Inspector in 1939, though I am not sure why OP has chosen him - click for link on FmP

born 11 Jun 1885 living with a wife Mary and a child Alfred at Cliff Rd, Buxton

I then got it mistranscribed on Ancestry - click

Edited by corisande

There is a fairly full Ancestry Tree for William Ollerenshaw

Click for Ancestry Tree

That gives

• Birth 1 June 1885 at Buxton as in 1939 Reg
  • Marriage 1909 to Mary Jane Goodwin
  • death 10 May 1967 at Chapel en le Frith, Derbys

The son shown in 1939 Register died in 2006, and he appears to have married and had a family

21 minutes ago, corisande said:

This is the link to the Post Office Inspector in 1939, though I am not sure why OP has chosen him - click for link on FmP

born 11 Jun 1885 living with a wife Mary and a child Alfred at Cliff Rd, Buxton

OK. kenf posted this. But we don't know for definite that this is the man?

The following deaths don't exactly fit, but could be the start point for a search:

Deaths Mar 1959  

OLLERENSHAW William 73 Southwell, Nottinghamshire 3c 610  

Deaths Mar 1964  

OLLERENSHAW WILLIAM 76 N.E.CHESHIRE 10A 465

Deaths Mar 1965 

OLLERENSHAW WILLIAM H 81 MANCHESTER 10E 283

Deaths Jun 1967  

Ollerenshaw William 81 Chapel-le-Frith, Derbyshire. 10a829 

Medals are more likely to be passed on at the time of death.

Was there a residency link- neighbours/friends etc. between the OP's family and any of the above at the time of death?

Edit: I see Corisande has come to the same conclusion (Post #28)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, The Inspector said:

Hi

They had six children, Ralph 1916, Lizzie Ann 1917, Phyllis and John William 1919, twins and 2 others...looking for William Ollerenshaw.....

Regards Barry

John William born 1919 is my grandfather! So it looks as though great grandfather George may well have served! this is getting very interesting even though we aren't any closer to William! wow

46 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The following deaths don't exactly fit, but could be the start point for a search:

Deaths Mar 1959  

OLLERENSHAW William 73 Southwell, Nottinghamshire 3c 610  

Deaths Mar 1964  

OLLERENSHAW WILLIAM 76 N.E.CHESHIRE 10A 465

Deaths Mar 1965 

OLLERENSHAW WILLIAM H 81 MANCHESTER 10E 283

Deaths Jun 1967  

Ollerenshaw William 81 Chapel-le-Frith, Derbyshire. 10a829 

Medals are more likely to be passed on at the time of death.

Was there a residency link- neighbours/friends etc. between the OP's family and any of the above at the time of death?

Edit: I see Corisande has come to the same conclusion (Post #28)

Thank you for this it is a great help. It does look likely that William was not a family member at the moment

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

OK. kenf posted this. But we don't know for definite that this is the man?

This chap was No 253178, Royal Engineers , A Signal Company...according to a tree on Ancestry that appears to be very close judging by the photo's included.

12 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

This chap was No 253178, Royal Engineers , A Signal Company...according to a tree on Ancestry that appears to be very close judging by the photo's included.

Thank you I will check it out 

29 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Not our W Ollerenshaw unfortunately his service numbers don't match

1 hour ago, Marie Baggaley said:

Not our W Ollerenshaw unfortunately his service numbers don't match

Hi Marie apologies if I wasnt very clear...I was ruling him out on that basis.

12 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Hi Marie apologies if I wasnt very clear...I was ruling him out on that basis.

Sorry I understand now. Eliminations are just as helpful in this instance though thank you

2 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Which tree is this? Can you post the link please?

• Admin
1 minute ago, Marie Baggaley said:

Eliminations are just as helpful in this instance though thank you

Indeed they are, but another William Ollerenshaw at Kettlestone was living at Side End Kettleshulme, age 38 in the 1911 Census and born in Whaley Bridge, a powder glazer(?) in the powder mill (previously a labourer).  Married for 10 years to Mary Elizabeth, with one daughter Lois aged 8.   In 1914 he might have been a bit old to enlist, even in the TF.  

In the 1939 Register for Whaley Bridge aged 71 and retired and still married to Mary Elizabeth.  Died 25th February 1951.

Looks like his mother was Esther, widow in 1891, younger brother Tom two years his junior.  Going back another ten years, mother was widowed three other siblings John aged 15 Sara aged 12 and Abel aged 11.

Round the circle again!

Ken

Hi All

253178 Ollerenshaw, there is a PRC record, I don't subscribe, stated his widow was Mary Elizabeth. He was disch Oct,1916. So I deleted my original post....not our man.

Regards Barry  

This is an entry in the list of men enlisted with the  Whaley Bridge section of the Territorials of the Notts Derbyshire regiment and lists William as being sent to France in 2015 and listed as a carter from Hartington 

Screenshot_20191119-002357_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

another William Ollerenshaw at Kettlestone was living at Side End Kettleshulme, age 38 in the 1911 Census

Born about 1873 then?

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

1939 Register for Whaley Bridge aged 71

Born about 1868 ? - Would have been 46 in 1914.

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

the problem we have here, is we have a name, but no definitive way of linking him  to any primary sources

That's about it. Various of us have been round the circle in vain attempts to tie Ollerenshaw to a member of OPs family

If that is her great-grandfather who died in 1923 after serving in WW1, then at least we have established a link to Notts & Derby Regt in WW1 for both men. But that has not helped with who Ollerenshaw was and why OPs family have Ollerenshaws medals

Bottom line is that there are too many William Ollerenshaws in that small area round Buxton, and it is virtually impossible to conclude which the medal man actually was

Certainly right now, I do not think I can make further progress without an input of extra facts

39 minutes ago, corisande said:

That's about it. Various of us have been round the circle in vain attempts to tie Ollerenshaw to a member of OPs family

If that is her great-grandfather who died in 1923 after serving in WW1, then at least we have established a link to Notts & Derby Regt in WW1 for both men. But that has not helped with who Ollerenshaw was and why OPs family have Ollerenshaws medals

Bottom line is that there are too many William Ollerenshaws in that small area round Buxton, and it is virtually impossible to conclude which the medal man actually was

Certainly right now, I do not think I can make further progress without an input of extra facts

Thanks for all your help guys I'm sorry we have so little to go on but I will keep digging to see if I can find a link. At least I can look into George Shipley more to see if he did serve but might have to admit defeat with William and just keep his medals as a keepsake to go with my husband's recent medals of his own service as a comparison of new and old. Who knows maybe one day William Ollerenshaw will crop up again in family conversation and the mystery will be solved

7 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Indeed they are, but another William Ollerenshaw at Kettlestone was living at Side End Kettleshulme, age 38 in the 1911 Census and born in Whaley Bridge, a powder glazer(?) in the powder mill (previously a labourer).  Married for 10 years to Mary Elizabeth, with one daughter Lois aged 8.   In 1914 he might have been a bit old to enlist, even in the TF.  

In the 1939 Register for Whaley Bridge aged 71 and retired and still married to Mary Elizabeth.  Died 25th February 1951.

Looks like his mother was Esther, widow in 1891, younger brother Tom two years his junior.  Going back another ten years, mother was widowed three other siblings John aged 15 Sara aged 12 and Abel aged 11.

Round the circle again!

Ken

Hi All

He died 25th February, 1949, probate 1951. This man keeps coming up in my searches.  Probate to an Elizabeth Cooper, a widow. He lived at Wye House, Buxton..looking

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/80302548/person/320184386091/facts

Regards Barry

48 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi All

He died 25th February, 1949, probate 1951. This man keeps coming up in my searches.  Probate to an Elizabeth Cooper, a widow. He lived at Wye House, Buxton..looking

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/80302548/person/320184386091/facts

Regards Barry

Now this one interests me as he has a Wain in the family and my grandmother was a Wain so maybe we are looking on the wrong side! Although it does make him a touch older than the usual enlisting age

Edited by Marie Baggaley