Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find the man behind the medals. W Ollerenshaw, Derbyshire

Marie Baggaley

Hi

William Ollerenshaw's mother Esther was Esther Wain, married James Ollerenshaw at Stockport 2nd qtr 1860, 8a,94.( 3rd June?) She was christened 27 March, 1842, parents Abel (1817-1893) and Betty.(Elizabeth Andrew 1817-1888) Esther died 3rd qtr. 1914, Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, 7b, 861. 1911 she is a widow,retired farmer,  Mudgather ? Kettlehulme. living on her own. Had been married 17yrs, 9 children, 7 alive, 2 dec'd.  Husband John died 26th Oct, 1876.

1871 census Esther shown as OllerenSHAM on Ancestry, husband John (?James) farmer 49 acres. with 6 children. Youngest Abel Wain Ollerensham. 1881 and 1891 check out.

1901 Esther with son Tom at Windgather, farm. William not present. William gets married 26thSept.1900 to Mary Elizabeth Williamson, St.John's Parish Church, Buxton, He is a labourer at Powder Mill Lodge, Fernilee. His father was John Ollerenshaw, dec'd farmer. .Her father is Samuel Wilkinson, Farmer..

So...where was Wiliam between 1901, census ??? and 1910.....daughter Lois was born 17th June 1902  Macclesfield, 8a , 117. I suggest you obtain her birth cert. for the father's occupation.If he was serving in the Army it MAY show on the cert.

Mary Elizabeth Ollerenshaw of Brierfield, 116 Macclesfield Road, Whaley Bridge died 12th Feb, 1948 probate to daughter Lois Heathcote..looking

What is your grandmother's name    ????? Wain, d of b , place etc , married to John William Shipley.?? Lillian Elizabeth b.1920 d.1975? Your gt/gt/g/father was also George Shipley and  his wife was Sarah Wain so there is a high probability of a connection to Ollerenshaw's.

Every bit of info. helps to build the picture...looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

On 06/12/2019 at 16:58, corisande said:

That's about it. Various of us have been round the circle in vain attempts to tie Ollerenshaw to a member of OPs family

If that is her great-grandfather who died in 1923 after serving in WW1, then at least we have established a link to Notts & Derby Regt in WW1 for both men. But that has not helped with who Ollerenshaw was and why OPs family have Ollerenshaws medals

Bottom line is that there are too many William Ollerenshaws in that small area round Buxton, and it is virtually impossible to conclude which the medal man actually was

Certainly right now, I do not think I can make further progress without an input of extra facts

Hi

Waiting for Marie to come back on this.

Regards Barry

• 3 years later...

Hi. 

With regards to the William Ollerenshaw mystery I am delighted to report that Marie did finally locate William 's family. My husband and his cousins are delighted to now have possession of his medals. 

Like many of his generation he never spoke of the war but we (with a great head start) are piecing together his story. 

William was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal we think on 16th Sept 1916. Our two main questions at this stage are is this a commonly awarded medal and where could we find the citation or any information as to why it was awarded to him. 

Any advice gratefully received. 

Wendy Birds