Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Ernest Ganner, Royal Marine Light Infantry

MoodieCheshire

The memorandum dated 4 Dec 1917 confirms the award of the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal. He qualified after 15 years of VG Conduct on 9 Nov 1917, so the dates agree. He appears to have received the actual medal on 6 January 1918.

The Company Conduct Sheets confirm his joining the RND (RM Brigade) on 13 September 1914 and he seems to be on the books of HMS EGMONT from 19 July 1917. I suspect that, because his ADM 159 record does not show any service in the BEF (the RND moved to France in May 1916), he may have remained at Mudros with a RND Retard Party until July. Is there an Army Form B.103 (Casualty Form - Active Service) among the papers you got from Kew?

Edited by horatio2

No I have just gone through it and the only thing I can see is in 1903 a horse landed on his right foot causing a fractured  metatarsal nothing more

1 hour ago, MoodieCheshire said:

This is a picture with him in marching at Gallipoli 

Not Gallipoli. That is the RM Brigade RND marching through Ostende, Belgium, around 10-12 October 1914 after withdrawing from Antwerp and before embarking for England.

His award of the 1914 Star means that he was an 'Old Contemptible'. He was lucky to get away from Belgium. Around 300 RMLI (mostly Portsmouth Batalion) were captured during the withdrawal from Antwerp and became POWs.

Edited by horatio2

Horatio2

thats amazing, I'm only going by what my uncle / uncle's has told me, it's his writing on the picture! I unfortunately didn't know him.

or if I did can't remember as was too young. 

During WW2 Albert E Ganner was a special constable and again awarded the long service and good conduct medal for that.

someting in the back of my mine tells me he had a blood badge, I will have to ask my Uncle Ex- R E M E ! Who originally started to investigate him, I believe he has some of his medals to .

Albert Ernest Ganner also ha a brother. Harold Ganner again Royal Marines Light Infantry. I have a picture of him but nothing again is known. One job at a time ! 

2 hours ago, MoodieCheshire said:

Harold Ganner again Royal Marines Light Infantry.

Before you start on him - there is no trace of a man of that name having served RMLI (or RMA, RN, RNR or RNVR for that matter).

Oh I know I looked lol  / I wonder if he didn’t like his name and used his middle name?? But as stated finish one before starting another.. 

thanks again for your continued help it’s very much appreciated 

Edited by MoodieCheshire

Horatio2 

i have spoken to my uncle, and he remembers that Albert was Gassed ! But nothing I'm seeing in his records and had no Silver war badge either!   

1 hour ago, MoodieCheshire said:

he remembers that Albert was Gassed

Unlikely - he only served in the MEF and gas was not used at Gallipoli. He was not invalided out of the service so was not entitled to a SWB.

Horatio2

I like you think unlikely! And as stated no SWB.  But was it used anywhere else he was at? And maybe playing devils advocate, maybe it had minor effects ?? He  seemed quite sure about it. 

Not doubting your knowledge by any means. 

And just to add to Harold E Ganner his son also a Royal Marine, his last posting before leaving service was at Royal Marines Headquarters at Eastney Portsmouth. He served on HMS Ramilles revenge class battleship launched 12/06/1916 at Beardmore Dalmur .  I have since found out , but haven't still found a service number!!!  Was going to contact the  Association online for the vessel and see if I can make any more progress 

Again thank you for your time 

image.jpg

Edited by MoodieCheshire

I think this is Albert's marriage on FreeBMD:

Marriages Sep 1913   (>99%)
Ganner  Albert E  Deasy  Portsmouth  2b 1259  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

If so, and noting the Deasy / Dessy mistranscription for spouse / mother's maiden name, this is Harold's birth:-

Births Dec 1920   (>99%)
Ganner  Harold B  Dessy  Newport M  11a 537  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

I think you say Harold is his brother in one post and son in another; the son's records certainly won't be at Kew yet, but still with the MOD. I can't find any trace of a brother Harold.

Edited by seaJane

Sorry for that, Mr Albert E Ganner Father to:-

Albert Ganner

Harold E Ganner

Doreen J Ganner

sorry for causing confusion, So My Great Grandfather was RMli Albert Ganner his son's my grandfathers  Royal Corps of Signals Mr Albert Ganner / Royal Marine Mr Harold Ganner who where brothers. And the fact that my Grandfather had his fathers name always causes confusion.

i hope that helps 

Edited by MoodieCheshire

seaJane is correct - but your family tree is still confusing.

1.   Albert E GANNER RMLI we have sorted - no gassing (unless he did some private glue-sniffing), no invaliding, no SWB.

2.   You now say Harold E GANNER was son of the above and not his brother. If he is the chap in the picture, (dated 1920 to 2000), he could have been in HMS RAMILLIES in WW2. He could not have enlisted as a marine until about 1937 (aged 17) and by then the RMLI had ceased to exist, having merged with the RMA in 1923. The record for such a man will be held by the MOD, as seaJane states. You confuse things by stating "before leaving the army was at Royal Marines Headquarters at Eastney" What has the army got to do with him? Or are you just writing loosely? - remember the RMLI and RM are not "army" - they are "navy".

It pays to be as precise as possible in this game!

To get MOD records follow this link -  https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records   With such an uncommon surname and if you have other details (d.o.b. and p.o.b.) it should not be necessary to have his RM Register No.

Edited by horatio2