Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Ernest Ganner, Royal Marine Light Infantry

MoodieCheshire

Horatio2 

Yes Harold is the chap in the picture,

sorry for the confusion I’m new to this and trying my best to give accurate information! I’m only going on what little has been told to me and sometimes I forget that RMLI are navy not army which I used loosely encompassing all branches .. my mistake . Sorry for the frustrations and thank you for your continued help

kind regards Darren

Edited by MoodieCheshire
Grammar and corrections

No problem, Darren. We are all still learning. That is what the GWF is for.

Good luck with your continuing research and do come back with any other questions or results.

303 Man 

yes it is ! I have to say I thought that would make it easier than has proven to be what with all the  abbreviations used and misspelling!! I’m not aware of a Joseph but you never know, any chance you could post a picture of it ? 

Again thanks for your time 

Darren

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2019 at 01:02, horatio2 said:

Not Gallipoli. That is the RM Brigade RND marching through Ostende, Belgium, around 10-12 October 1914 after withdrawing from Antwerp and before embarking for England.

Not correct, this is the RM Brigade marching through Ostende in AUGUST 1914, BEFORE the Antwerp expedition, when they landed there to secure the ports for the return of the Belgian 4th Division, coming out of Namur, Through France and from Rouen by ship to Ostende.

Notice the blue uniforms. The RM Brigade wore already khaki in Antwerp.

• 4 weeks later...

William Martin 12902 Royal Marine Light Infantry, His records have arrived today from the national Archives.

i have attached a few photos from the pages received!

any idea on the form Y5 form of receipt for the blue armlet number 62237 what this is? And any further information gleamed from th few pictures attached ?

thanks again for anybody's time and response.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by MoodieCheshire

Something odd here. With William Martin's papers (where did he come from?) from ADM 157/2507/52 you also appear to have a Form R.110 Discharge for Harry Maxted, who served as Portmsouth/94(S) and (from 1917) as RMA /15987. His paper has been mis-filed and should be in ADM 157/2507/53. See -

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=harry+maxted&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=ADM+157&_hb=tna

This is not the first example I have seen of Kew's ADM 157 RMLI and RMA records being badly filed. Caveat Emptor.

Edited by horatio2

Keen eyes Horatio2! 

Didn't notice that one so keen to post some images lol.

any ideas on the blue armlet ? I have to say never heard anything said about that? 

Thank you for your reply

As far as I know, an armlet worn by men who had been invalided (before they got their SWB) the Form Y.5 is just a receipt for it. I have never seen one.

And who was William Martin? - I thought we were on Ganners.

Yes I was on Ganner's, and corrected my post from today ! Private William Martin  12702 is my Great Grandad on my mums side of the Family. 

And am still awaiting paperwork to arrive regarding the rest of the Ganner's I'm researching! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by MoodieCheshire
Grammer

Given that someone trying to purchase the ADM 157 records of Harry Maxted would have been short-changed because his papers are mixed up with those of your GGF Wiliam Martin, you cannot be sure that other papers of William Martin are not similarly mis-filed at Kew. Personally, I would be inclined to inform Kew of their error and seek reassurance that they had sent me all the William Martin papers and that others are not mixed in with someone else's ppers.

Might I enquire how much you were charged by Kew for this service?

I note that the summary card has "1914 Star". This is not correct. He qualified for the 1914-15 Star, Vistory Medal and British War Medal. Thewe were claimed by him and issued after his discharge.

Edited by horatio2

Here Is a picture of his medals in safe keeping with my uncle, he confirmed it's a 1914 star, after I asked him to check.

i believe he fought at The Faulkland islands and arrived there on HMS Carnarvon at the time !

he was discharged due to, as my uncle put it " stress related issues" as far as he's aware.

but would love to figure out where else he was posted during the war, I can see he was on a few ships, but also understand the some uk bases where given ships names as a form of coding !

as always thank you for you knowledge 

image.jpg

Edited by MoodieCheshire
Spelling

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I must reiterate that your GGF did NOT qualify for the 1914 Star (a.k.a. The Mons Star), Service in HM Ships did not qualify for the 1914 Star. The medals shown are the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal, 1914-1920, and the Victory Medal, 1914-1919.

His Form R.110 shows that he was invalided for neurasthenia. This was almost certainly not 'shell shock' as he had not been in action. See the wider definition of a nervous affliction e.g. "stress-related issues".

Google and Wikipedia are your first-stop friends for all those ship's names. The entry "Portsmouth Division" is for the periods between ships when he would have been drafted to the HQ of Portsmouth Division RMLI at Forton Barracks, Gosport.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you again not disappointed by any means! It makes no difference, to anyone that went through what any soldier went through! 

Just glade to learn more through his papers and people like yourself s help. Your knowledge is invaluable.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have manage to find a copy of the certificate for the Medaille Militaire for private Albert Ernest Ganner 12743 Royal Marine Light Infantry. And wondering if anyone out there might be able to any more information regarding it! 

Thank you for any help

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg