Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal awards

JulianB

On 01/06/2020 at 02:58, collectorsguide said:

together with Norman 138 HB SCH NO 180864.                        

Gnr 138556 Charles Talbot Norman

awarded MM (III Corps HA, Routine Order No. 31 dated 14.05.18)

KIA 4th July 1918.

Strangely his MM Mic is listed under his former Dorset TF RGA number 334501 although he had already been transferred to the regulars as 138556 before 1917.

Edited by Alan24

PATRICK BURKE  SGT 755788 D/251 BDE RFA L/GAZ 23.2.18. SCH NO 141524 ONE OF 7 MMs TO 250 AND 251 BDES RFA. AWARDS FOR 3RD YPRES IN EARLY OCTOBER 1917 POSSIBLY AROUND 3.10.17.NEAR WESTHOEK. HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND PRECISE INFO.YOU NEED TO LOOK LATE SEPTEMBER TO OCTOBER.1917.DEFINITELY A 3RD YPRES AWARD. RP/NUMBER CONFIRMS. BEST W, Howard

addenda:Books MMs FOR ITALIAN CAMPAIGN 1917/18 NOW OUT .ALONG WITH ;ANNOTATIONS FROM THE REVERSES OF THE MM CARDS.

Edited by collectorsguide
Forgot to answer the last part of question

On 23/11/2019 at 22:35, Ivor Anderson said:

Peter Warrington seems to have recently issued an extended 'Complete Military Medal Roll 1914-1919' over 3 volumes. Nearly 2500 pages and including the LG award entry dates:

s-l500-1.jpg

Lists the British Army, Navy personnel, RFC and RAF and Imperial troop recipients of the Military Medal (114,560) and second (5,543), third (182) and fourth (1) award bars in the Great War. Details shown are: Surname; Forename(s); Initial(s); Rank; Number; in most records Battalion or Unit; Regiment or branch of service; in some records (non-exhaustive) fate of recipient KIA; DOW; Died; MIDs and British & Foreign awards; Brief biographical notes; London Gazette supplement reference number(s) and date(s).

I wonder whether the aforementioned is the source of the Military Medal dataset on Fold3.

On 01/06/2020 at 18:06, Alan24 said:

Sgt. A A Chatley (SCH 180861)

L/Bdr B G King (SCH 180862)

Gnr C A Bloomfield (SCH 180863)

Barnsley Independent Saturday 27 Jul 1918

War Brieflets

Cudworth Military Medalist.

Signaller C. Bloomfield, Royal Garrison Artillery, Son of Mr. and Mrs. Bloomfield of St. John's Road, Cudworth, has been awarded the Military Medal for bravery on the battlefield. Before enlisting he was in the employ of the Midland Railway Company.

Service Record shows his occupation as a Miner/Pit Pony Driver.

He first joined the Barnsley Pals age 19 yrs 12 days (03.08.15) who were still in England (13th Yorks & Lancs) before being transferred to 15th Reserve Battalion Y&L. Presumably he hadn't had enough training when the 13th went overseas to Egypt Dec 1915. 1939 Register shows DoB 20.07.98 - he was only 17 yrs 12 days at enlistment not 19 years 12 days as declared at attestation. 

15th Y&L became 91 TRB and from there transferred to RGA Signalling Training Depot.

Edited by Alan24

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/07/2019 at 02:44, collectorsguide said:

Many of the cards ,around 10,000 are annotated on the back with all sorts of interesting information including some citations,notes on forfeitures/ replacements /,enquiries/,lost and found details /etc etc. I have just completed the work of listing all these entries and explaining the abbreviations etc.There is also a section listing all the forfeitures.I hope to be able to show it at this years convention in its published form.

As mentioned in passing on the thread, this got published towards the end of last year. It was the first of a number of books on the MM. (I have a copy of the Italian Campaign themed MM book, volume IV in the ongoing series.) I see this is available from N&M Press, along with the books on awards to the allies in WW1 (one book on the M.M. naturally and another on the D.C.M.)

THE MM PROJECT PART 1. THE ANNOTATIONS FOUND ON THE REVERSES OF THE MILITARY MEDAL INDEX CARDS 1916-1920

This is a detailed study of the useful information that is contained on the reverse of the MM Index Cards. In the region of 10,500 cards had annotations to the reverse. The annotations are largely administrative notes made by clerks at the Army Medal Office and deal with the general administration of the awards of the Military Medal from 1916 to 1993.

Of particular value to the genealogist and medallist are the notoriously hard to find Citations for this awards. Some are taken directly from the cards themselves and some from information gleaned from other sources.

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/the-annotations-found-on-the-reverses-of-the-militarymedal-index-cards-1916-1920/

Yes. I have purchased these three volumes and I expect to keep them on hand for many years! I assume volumes I & II will be issued in due course?

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 14.44.36.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I have read that

Volume 1 is the Nominal A TO Z Roll (121544 entries) Vol II Is the MM Handbook

I don't think the second one has been released as of yet. East Africa & Gallipoli will be covered by Vol IV & Vol V respectively.

19 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Volume 1 is the Nominal A TO Z Roll (121544 entries)

Has this been issued - I haven't seen it? :mellow: Does it duplicate the three volume set by Peter Warrington?

Nice article about Howard here:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/ea-life/essex-why-i-ve-borrowed-57-000-to-help-my-dream-come-true-plus-howard-s-fascination-with-the-first-world-war-and-its-gallantry-medals-1-1146173

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

Thanks, I think you are right that volume 1 has not been published yet. Volume 1 would have a similar scope to the three volume set, but following a different methodology as outlined within this thread.