Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David William Wilson

For a number of years I have been trying to trace my grandfather David William Wilson, stationed in Ireland 1916, Curragh. Co. Kildare.

On reading my fathers birth certificate, his rank was Lance Corporal and regiment was the 21st. Lancers. He may have been seconded to this regiment.

from Royal West Kent Regiment. The only David William Wilson who can I find and satisfies the particulars is attached below. I note his medals were forfeited,

presumably for misconduct.

Any help your members can offer would be really appreciated.

Yours Truly    David Wilson

D Wilson.JPG

Hi David, 

Welcome to the Forum.

From the medal roll page that you posted, L/11621 Joynson has some surviving service papers. The FMP link is here - they should also be available on Ancestry. They show that he was transferred (whilst overseas) to the 10th Bn on 14.9.1917. The Bn war diary (Ancestry link; National Archives link) shows that they received reinforcements ('other ranks') of 132 men on 17.9.1917, and a further 71 the following day.

The roll record seems to read that David wasn't discharged until December 1923. If that were to be the case, the MoD may hold his (weeded) service record. Do you know his date of birth?

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hi Chris, unfortunately, I have practically no information on my grandfather, other than what's on my fathers birth certificate. i.e 21st Lancers.

The forfeiture of medals would indicate a serious breach of discipline. Would there be a record of Court Martial

Regards

David

15 hours ago, clk said:

L/11621 Joynson

David's  grandfather is David William Wilson - L 11624

This thread may help, see posts 2 and 5.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/268001-paragraph-363-xx1-kr-1923/

and

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/6812-discharge-kings-regulations-para-392/

see post 1

A Guide to WW1 Causes of Discharge - Paragraph 392 of King's Regulations 1912:

http://military-researcher.co.uk/KingsRegs1912/Para392Introduction.html

Kath.

Edited by Kath
added

Hi Kath,

Thanks for the links.

5 minutes ago, Kath said:
15 hours ago, clk said:

L/11621 Joynson

David's  grandfather is David William Wilson - L 11624

I appreciate that it's only a sample size of one, but looking at the medal roll it seems that the 21/Lancers supplied a draft of men to the 10/RWK where they were renumbered to L/116**. For Joynson that happened on 14th September 1917, so it seems likely that the David Wm Wilson shown on the roll was also transferred on the same date.

Regards

Chris