Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

regiment identification

marion harper

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It puzzles me how banns or a marriage licence would ever indulge a known incestuous marriage so it does seem odd without knowing the intimate details of who was who.

My thoughts exactly. Cousins perhaps, or no real relation? Would need to see the certificate to be sure.

In answer to all these questions..

Yes they were definitely brother and sister and the Thanet marriage is the correct one.

No neither of them were adopted. Yes on looking at what I have so far there were numerous queries on his gratuity application which may have led him to try to cover his tracks.

There are several lies on several of the documents..BUT all the names and addresses tally so am sure the info I have all belongs to him.

what a tangled web he wove!!

52 minutes ago, marion harper said:

In answer to all these questions..

Yes they were definitely brother and sister and the Thanet marriage is the correct one.

No neither of them were adopted. Yes on looking at what I have so far there were numerous queries on his gratuity application which may have led him to try to cover his tracks.

There are several lies on several of the documents..BUT all the names and addresses tally so am sure the info I have all belongs to him.

what a tangled web he wove!!

Forgive me if I sound sceptical, but I am, and need to see proof! 

Can you post a copy of the marriage license? Should also say what regiment he was in at the time.

Like you I have been sceptical.I am waiting for a copy of the actual marriage certificate but I have a great deal of other info which ally tallies so i am fairly sure i am on the right track. I have copies of 15 document relating to his Gratuity claim and all the way through the addresses, names etc all tie up.  I have also other corroborating evidence from later in life which proves that Kate (his wife) was his sister. The mystery goes on. 

With a limited search, I have found Canadian documents (his death, and death of a child) show him as being born in Calgary, Alberta (again with Dec 16th as the birth date). His death also shows he is the son of John and Julia (no last name given), both born in Canada, and his wife was the informant. His wife, from a 1901 England census, shows her as the daughter of John and Sarah (nee Kenny or Kelly, according to her birth certificate and her brother Charles 1896 (third quarter)).

What makes you think otherwise that he was not born in Canada (and documents to prove it)?

Both Charles and Kathleen are difficult to pin down in the censuses.

Is she the housemaid in Margate in 1911, giving her place of birth as Sheldon, Warwickshire (now Birmingham) aged 19, so born about 1892?

I can't see a household in 1901 with a Charles and a Kathleen.

You say Charles was born in England in 1893 (Page 2, post 21) and  elsewhere that it was 1896 (Page 2, post 7). 

On what to you base those statements?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

26 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Both Charles and Kathleen are difficult to pin down in the censuses.

Is she the housemaid in Margate in 1911, giving her place of birth as Sheldon, Warwickshire (now Birmingham) aged 19, so born about 1892?

I can't see a household in 1901 with a Charles and a Kathleen.

You say Charles was born in England in 1893 (Page 2, post 21) and  elsewhere that it was 1896 (Page 2, post 7). 

On what to you base those statements?

1901 census she is listed as Catherine (she  was born Catherine Grace in 1893), living in Rugby, Warwickshire, with a birth place listed as "Shilton, Warwickshire" (I am using familysearch.org).  Father: John, Mother: Sarah. This is who I am assuming the housemaid in Margate in 1911 is  (she also has a brother Charles listed).