Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

regiment identification

marion harper

There appears to be no gap between the ends of the laurel wreath and the crown, as in the R.E. cap badge. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is City of London Yeomanry, but would the uniform fit that theory?

City of London Yeomanry cap badge.JPG

Well, he is wearing spurs!

And I'd say it's a good call, Harry.

Not R.E as he has no flaming grenade badge above his rank chevrons. 

Worcestershire Hussars Yeomanry?

The chap certainly is Cavalry of some sort, he also appears to be wearing cloth shoulder titles.

Chris

0abteyet5663754.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

44 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Worcestershire Hussars Yeomanry?

The chap certainly is Cavalry of some sort, he also appears to be wearing cloth shoulder titles.

Chris

0abteyet5663754.jpg

That seems to be a better fit to me - you can just about see the flower in the middle on the blown up image and the places on each side where the flower joins to the wreath.

Craig

This is a tough one given the unusually blurred view of the badge.  As devils advocate, the only thing I would caution about is that the latter, Worcestershire Yeomanry option, has a far more pronounced crown atop the badge that is not apparent in the photo.

Given the overall shape we might also think it could be Queen’s Own Dorset Yeomanry, but again the crown would have been visually more pronounced.  For these reasons I think that the first suggestion of City of London Yeomanry is probably correct.

0DA48F7D-1D2C-4F44-8479-C56772A29444.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Inverting the colours etc brings out slightly more detail but it's still not great

Craig

Yes it’s a real challenge Craig.

Given what seem like large, block letter shoulder titles, I wonder if the Army Veterinary Corps might be a contender, although again there is a quite pronounced crown.

B72F832A-AF1B-43F6-9178-BE34239EE08E.jpeg

0975FBBA-AFCB-4BA3-BD28-3AF8EB0B8575.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Overall I think that the balance of visual evidence favours the initial suggestion, the City of London Yeomanry, probably with the favoured RR (rough rider) STs that emphasised the secondary title of which the regiment was so proud.

ED31FCAE-EFC4-43F9-861D-7B37AD26E254.jpeg

43947953-A05C-4221-A1F5-A5F6480EA5C1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Overall I think that the balance of visual evidence favours the initial suggestion, the City of London Yeomanry, probably with the favoured RR (rough rider) STs that emphasised the secondary title of which the regiment was so proud.

ED31FCAE-EFC4-43F9-861D-7B37AD26E254.jpeg

43947953-A05C-4221-A1F5-A5F6480EA5C1.jpeg

I still don't think it's the Rough Riders, the crown on the badge is sat on top of the wreath /circle, where as the RR's crown has the wreath touching either side, AVC could be another contender.

I think the Shoulder titles are cloth ones, unless it's just my eyes!

Chris

38 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

I still don't think it's the Rough Riders, the crown on the badge is sat on top of the wreath /circle, where as the RR's crown has the wreath touching either side, AVC could be another contender.

I think the Shoulder titles are cloth ones, unless it's just my eyes!

Chris

Yes, I can see why you think it’s cloth, but the white ‘blob’ suggests larger letters.  As regards the crown I feel you’re probably right after looking again, as think the top of the cap fold is obscuring the upper part of the crown.

None of those fit, Marion.

how would i find out the date someone served with this regiment then as this fact seems to conflict with other info and regimental detail I have

AVC badge for comparison

image.png.500eb200f01ca8fa21fa1afb4ca7029c.png

Have you any possible names ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

yes the person I am looking for is a charles harper. I have found a record for the AVC but not sure if he is the right one. I do however have  lot of info relating to harles Harper who served with the following:

KE Horse,

Royal Tank Corps,

Royal Munster Fusiliers, Attached Royal Air Force

The info I have ties up with all of the other family info re addresses, dates etc. but this photo is a mystery,

would any of those regiements have had a vetinerary attachment?