Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.1903 Bayonet w/ Arabic Script

JMB1943

1 hour ago, DisasterDog said:

I have no idea, as I have never seen one.

I have seen people reference them, but I believe they are confusing Iraqi for Egyptian by simply lumping “Arabic” together.  

The only thing I can think of that would positively identify a P1907 as Egyptian might be the Egyptian Police marking, often found on Citadel Martini-Enfields & Greener EG shotguns.  There is plenty of photographic evidence of the Gaffirs with ShtLEs.

IMG_2971.png

IMG_1382.jpeg

Ahhhh- I get the jist. Thanks so much mate- appreciate the pics. I will keep a look out and see if anything fun turns up. 

You never know what is around the corner haha

what is the interest in them for yourself? 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

11 hours ago, navydoc16 said:

what is the interest in them for yourself? 

Just kinda found myself here. :blink:

After acquiring the above examples & researching them, then discovering plenty of photos of SMLEs, I thought it odd that we don’t see Egyptian-marked Enfields or associated bayonets.  So I kinda jump on any reference to Egyptian P1907s.  

I wanna see one!!! :w00t:

On 22/04/2024 at 14:35, DisasterDog said:

I have no idea, as I have never seen one.

I have seen people reference them, but I believe they are confusing Iraqi for Egyptian by simply lumping “Arabic” together.  

The only thing I can think of that would positively identify a P1907 as Egyptian might be the Egyptian Police marking, often found on Citadel Martini-Enfields & Greener EG shotguns.  There is plenty of photographic evidence of the Gaffirs with ShtLEs.

IMG_2971.png

IMG_1382.jpeg

I have gone spoken to a couple dealers cap (and cash) in hand and have tried to aquire a Egyptian marked one- have purchased this morning one that is supposed to have a “Arabic proof” so I guess I’ll have that one as well yo trundle through

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

4 hours ago, navydoc16 said:

@shippingsteel one more for your eyes 

Already got this one listed ... both side tangs are noted in my tables above. Interesting that both markings share the common Number 63 and 4th Tolai (Company) inscription.

Also has that Sh leading letter which I believe could well stand for Shebirghān. Further research suggests it was historically a Garrison city guarding the North-Western border so seems like a good match.

Cheers,  SS 

Edited by shippingsteel

Apologies, I got it off another old gun boards,

kind regards 

g

2 minutes ago, shippingsteel said:

Already got this one listed ... both side tangs are noted in my tables above. Interesting that both markings share the common Number 63 and 4th Tolai (Company) inscription.

Cheers,  SS 

@shippingsteel I have a less fun challenge, I just realised I have either 3 or 4 No4 Arabic marked bayonets somewhere in my collection. 

when I get home I’m going to dig them out, see if we can make something of it. Maybe it will shed light on something to do with our current topic if they are Afghan. 

kind regards

g

I found 2, I think I know where the other two are but they’re a bit hard to get to. 

maybe you can assist with the translation -

there are “hard” bayonet translations; then there is Arabic electropencil “hard”

kind regards

g

4FBABDF7-15F8-4628-99F6-A578F5C05B9C.jpeg

8C63D64B-4B7D-46EB-806D-E6D5BB54016C.jpeg

Edited by navydoc16

I am thinking these are most likely Iraq marked possibly from the Anglo-Iraq War period. Numerals are certainly Eastern Arabic so NOT relating to Afghanistan at all.

Cheers,  SS 

8 minutes ago, shippingsteel said:

I am thinking these are most likely Iraq marked possibly from the Anglo-Iraq War period. Numerals are certainly Eastern Arabic so NOT relating to Afghanistan at all.

Cheers,  SS 

Thanks mate appreciated, I will catalogue them as such. They come by way of a returned serviceman, unfortunately the dealer I bought them from didn’t care enough to get specifics - which is always a massive shame. 

I won’t bother posting the other 2, appreciate the assistance once again 

kind regards

g

EFD 3-1915 

@DisasterDog that “Arabic proof” I think is just a half a “reissue” what do you think? 

kind regards

g

E859975C-9789-4FEB-B6BA-88ACB45DAE3F.jpeg

2A4D90C6-C267-4B73-8969-9FD96FA1ABD8.jpeg

Edited by navydoc16

On 02/05/2024 at 02:02, navydoc16 said:

Wilkinson Pall Mall 10-1917

Guessing Iraqi as one of the characters is the same as the “jeem” (one of the versions of it, at least).

IMG_2989.jpeg