Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PUBLIC HOUSE NAMES OF THE GREAT WAR

If the pub name is Hero of Ladysmith then presumably its not the one I mentioned.

An update on my previous post regarding "The Old Thirteenth blah blah blah". The original pub closed but the pub sign was acquired by a micro-pub in the town centre where I believe it takes up three walls! Recently another pub has opened and adopted the "Old Thirteenth" name meaning the pub with the worlds longest name is now 20 yards away from the one with the worlds shortest.

Simon

Edited by mancpal

Our town pub the old house at home,used to have a sign with old bill nestled in a nice funk hole,well that was before the stainless steel pump black shirted(no not Mosely)brigade moved in and "modernised"it

A different war, but one of the pubs in Newport, South Wales is called the "John Wallace Linton", after Commander J W Linton VC DSO DSC (1905 - 1943), who was a RN Submarine Commander in the Second World War. There's quite a bit of memorabilia on the walls, including a fine memorial to Commander J W Linton and the crew of HM/S Turbulent.

“ ... ‘E isn’t one o’ the reg’lar Line, nor ‘e isn’t one of the crew.

’E’s a kind of a giddy harumfrodite - soldier an’ sailor too! ... “

A pub in place at least since 1885, so outside the strict remit of this thread, the Artillery Arms stands hard by the Royal Marine Barracks in Stonehouse, Plymouth: so it would have been very busy during the First war. It was a beerhouse until 1958, and interestingly has ‘Artillery Arms’ emblazoned on its Pound Street frontage, and ‘Formerly Known As Navy & Army Inn’ on its Admiralty Street wall.

Image from Google Streetview:

5A5B2FE9-F28E-4050-91D4-2120F785A41E.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

Sittingbourne has a pub called The Ypres Tavern. I believe Sittingbourne is twinned with Ypres

because a battalion of The West Kent Regiment raised in Sittingbourne, took part in the early

battles for Hill 60.

Regards Geoff

Now this is an interesting threat (OK… it's not even 9 in the Morning and talking pubs… normal??) …

I might be mistaken… have to delve into my pictures … but I think there's a pub in Wolverhampton with a name referring to WWI... It was closed when we were there in 2017 though…

M.

At Betsham near Gravesend in North Kent there was until recently a pub called the Colyer Arms, named after Captain Thomas Riversdale Colyer-Fergusson VC. He was a member of a prominent local family and lost his life at Ypres in 1917. The pub was demolished a few years ago and replaced by housing. More information about Capt Colyer-Fergusson,  including a picture of him, and the pub,  here -

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/kent/betsham_colyerarms.html

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1138

https://www.gravesham.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/375715/Colyer-Fergusson.pdf

Nordenfelt tavern in erith Kent.....closed now but was referred to by locals as the pom pom

• 1 month later...

I came across this pub the other day and thought of this thread - recalling that soldiers in trenches have been said to have emptied their bowels onto a shovel, and then thrown the stools over the parapet, I thought this might be a bowdlerised reference.

But no.

(Image from londonspubswherehistoryreallyhappened.wordpress.com)

C2FCE736-8265-4FF4-B088-ABB8D27B0C42.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

Hmm-    Mr. Wikipedia thinks differently:  I will check further but I am pretty sure the name pre-dates the Great War.

Nice idea though.   The comment by the Australian soldier on the Somme -quoted by Peter Barton-in his Somme documentary comes to mind.

The Ship and Shovell is a Victorian pub in Craven Passage, Charing Cross, London. It may be unique for consisting of two separate buildings on either side of a street, connected underground by a shared cellar.[1][2][3]

Its name has its origins in either the coal labourers who visited the nearby Coal Hole or Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell.[4][5][6]

The two former terrace houses were built in 1731–33, but later refaced. It has been Grade II listed since 1970. [7]

It is run by the Dorset family brewers Hall and Woodhouse.[8]

On 02/10/2019 at 07:52, Marilyne said:

I think there's a pub in Wolverhampton with a name referring to WWI... It was closed when we were there in 2017 though…

Whose fault?  ;-)

On 26/10/2017 at 23:37, Bernard_Lewis said:

Neath has just seen the opening of the 'Allan Leonard Lewis VC' pub (formerly the Conservative Club - Neath ran out of Conservatives...)

Bernard

IMG_20170921_163246417.jpg

but never drinkers??

2 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

but never drinkers??

Some folk are trying hard to exhaust the supply!

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2017 at 12:44, Stoppage Drill said:

That long named pub was in Stalybridge, where "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" was composed and first performed. The town also has the pub with the shortest name - The Q.

105410379_gwf1.JPG.05554214fad925658182593428552fac.JPG

846230403_gwf2.JPG.1da77e8987f68d4ea18f95c0eb7e21b4.JPG

BillyH.