Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PUBLIC HOUSE NAMES OF THE GREAT WAR

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

Near to me is a pub with strong military connections though not WW1 (apologies).

Firstly, opposite The gates of the old Ladysmith Barracks (Manchester Regt)is a pub named Heroes but was originally The Heroes of Waterloo.

Secondly, a pub which is now closed went by the name of "The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Riflemans Corps Inn". Not sure of which era it relates to but suspect pre WW1. It was named as the pub with the longest name by Guinness Book of Records

simon

That long named pub was in Stalybridge, where "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" was composed and first performed. The town also has the pub with the shortest name - The Q.

The Patriots Arms in Chiseldon, Wiltshire, has as its pub sign a head and shoulders silhouette of a Tommy wearing a steel helmet.

Edited by Stoppage Drill
Typo

I have a pub near me in Ilford called the "General Havelock"

If you wish, you could give this a Great War connection by saying it was named after the Abercrombie class monitor see http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205092016

The RN having borrowed the idea for monitors from the USA named them after US generals 

but then had second thoughts - the Havelock was to have been the 'General Grant'

[see http://www.bjmh.org.uk/index.php/bjmh/article/view/169/142 page 94]

Stoppage Drill,

your correct about Stalybridge and "The Q", I'm sitting at the bar of Q as I type!

simon

37 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Stoppage Drill,

your correct about Stalybridge and "The Q", I'm sitting at the bar of Q as I type!

simon

There's a great statue in Stalybridge commemorating the writing of the song. Jack Judge is sitting writing whilst a Tommy looks over his shoulder. It's lovely.

Somebody post a pic please.

1 hour ago, Susan Tall said:

The Tipperary Inn near Balsall Common, Warwickshire.  Was previously called The Plough but renamed after the man who wrote "It's A Long Long Way to Tipperary."  Story and photos here:

http://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/article/tipperary-inn-balsall-common

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

The Tipperary Inn, Mere End Rd, Balsall Common in Warwickshire.

20060409-82164_3-HWCottagePlaque.jpg

Thank you Susan & Terry.

I always knew it was a Long Way, but I didn't realise it was a Long Long Way.

Ah! the facts you can learn in a pub.

12 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

There's a great statue in Stalybridge commemorating the writing of the song. Jack Judge is sitting writing whilst a Tommy looks over his shoulder. It's lovely.

Somebody post a pic please.

Wot?

This?

Stalybridge_-_Jack_Judge_Memorial.JPG

49 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Wot?

This?

Stalybridge_-_Jack_Judge_Memorial.JPG

Here you go Dia, this makes the complete set. Buried in Temple Balsall Cemetery, Warwickshire.

20060409-82164_0-HenryWilliamsGrave.jpg

Edited by Terry_Reeves

We have The Volunteers' pub in Keighley. originally named for the first volunteers to go off to the Boer war but equally applicable to the volunteers for the Great War, no doubt many of whom had a last pint in there before leaving for the continent. There are many photographs of 1st/6th Battalion Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment men in there, who enlisted just across the road at Keighley Drill Hall. The Drill Hall is the building with the yellow banner on the left. here you have a pub, a chippy and a drill hall within spitting distance of one another. Get a man drunk, fill him full of fish and chips and sign him up to the Army in the same afternoon... :whistle:

Volunteers.jpg

8 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

Not specifically WW1 but I hope the RMA Tavern is still with us, opposite the gates to the old Royal Marine Artillery barracks in Eastney (seems it was there last time the google streetview camera passed). 

Believe it's still there, Phil, I went to the worst gig I've ever walked out of in there, couple of years ago.

Twickenham Middlesex - a pub there used to be called simply "The Rifleman". "Renamed" in part, with some ceremony some years ago, "Rifleman 1751 Frank Edwards 1893-1964 London Irish Rifles".

Frank Edwards kicked his football over the top on 25th September 1915 at the battle of Loos.

_63761167_208bb8a0-fb96-4ea8-b6e7-babf4b8c94aa.jpg

Susan,

is there a case for twinning Balsall Common with Stalybridge , the commonly accepted home of "Tipperary"? (Charabanc trips, mayoral visits etc)?

Simon

The sign for the Royal Oak at Hornby near Lancaster showed the dreadnought of that name. Apparently a former landlord had a naval connection, but the pub is now closed and for sale.

Cheers Martin B

15 hours ago, mancpal said:

Susan,

is there a case for twinning Balsall Common with Stalybridge , the commonly accepted home of "Tipperary"? (Charabanc trips, mayoral visits etc)?

Simon

Would seem a good idea - however the "Tipperary Inn" is outside Balsall Common at a little place called Fen End (although probably still in Balsall Common parish).  I'm a bit vague about it as I live down the road in Kenilworth.

Have just found the history of the pub on their website http://thetipperaryinn.co.uk/history/ which has a photo of Harry Williams and his family.

A year or so ago when they were renovating the pub they found an old piano which they now claim to be the one that the song was written on!!

Susan

The piano used to be in the pub and had a photograph on the top of it of the two composers. The photo as I remember was published by Feldman's, the publisher. There was also a  commemorative plaque in the bar which possibly dated from the 1920's. . The pub changed hands some years ago and the plaque  disappeared with the piano rotting in the car park. I spoke to the then landlord about the missing plaque and he told me that he had removed it and put it in a cupboard somewhere as it had no relevance.  He apparently had no idea of the history behind the pub.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On 10/27/2017 at 19:23, seaJane said:

Believe it's still there, Phil, I went to the worst gig I've ever walked out of in there, couple of years ago.

Thanks seajane - drank more than a few HSBs in there a long time ago.

:D

On the Bradford ring road at the crossroads of Legrams Lane, Cemetery Road and Clayton Road stands a pub called the 'Second West'.  This name has been adapted over the last 20 years or so, from originally 'The 2/6th West Yorks' to the 'The Second Sixth' (2nd/6th) and more recently the 'Second West'.

The original sign depicted a 'Tommy' and I believe the badge of the P.W.O.West Yorkshire Regiment--sadly the present name and sign bear little resemblance to the original either visually or in meaning.  Another piece of local history lost!

On 10/29/2017 at 07:55, Old Owl said:

On the Bradford ring road at the crossroads of Legrams Lane, Cemetery Road and Clayton Road stands a pub called the 'Second West'.  This name has been adapted over the last 20 years or so, from originally 'The 2/6th West Yorks' to the 'The Second Sixth' (2nd/6th) and more recently the 'Second West'.

The original sign depicted a 'Tommy' and I believe the badge of the P.W.O.West Yorkshire Regiment--sadly the present name and sign bear little resemblance to the original either visually or in meaning.  Another piece of local history lost!

I also remember the pub sign on the 2nd West showing the British soldier, although, I wasn't aware that there was a connection with the 2/6th West Yorks. I think that the 2nd west as a name has a rather longer history, indeed back to the 1870s when it was a hotel. There are a number of newspaper references to the Second West on Cemetery Road at Lidget Green from that time. I had assumed that it was named after the 2nd West York Artillery Volunteers who were based in Bradford.

The pub became a bit of a dive and remember attending a riot there in 2000(?) when a group of Hindu wedding guests attacked the pub and set fire to it injuring a number of customers. It has to be said that this was in response to the actions of a group  white youths who had gone into the Hindu wedding and assaulted the guests and later set fire to a load of cars. A pretty typical evening in Bradford really

The London suburb of New Malden has the Earl Beatty in West Barnes Lane.

Cheers Martin B

Would anyone know if the proposed "Accrington Pals" bar in-surprise-Accrington -ever opened?

It did, they tried to get stuff from the Wm Turner collection for display and promotional, but his widow and I said no, I don't like pubs any way, not seen any thing on the local face book pages for a while, may  have gone the way most pubs  are  going.

• 1 year later...
On 27/10/2017 at 10:58, mancpal said:

Near to me is a pub with strong military connections though not WW1 (apologies).

Firstly, opposite The gates of the old Ladysmith Barracks (Manchester Regt)is a pub named Heroes but was originally The Heroes of Waterloo.

Secondly, a pub which is now closed went by the name of "The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Riflemans Corps Inn". Not sure of which era it relates to but suspect pre WW1. It was named as the pub with the longest name by Guinness Book of Records

simon

If you watch the 1946 Ealing comedy, "Run for your money", there is a scene showing both outside and interior of "Hero of LadySmith" pub complete with pub fight. Given the pub is opposite the barracks, a few soldiers played extras in the scene.  You can watch the movie here https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ymlrx